Shiva VS. Pearless 12" XLS

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by rich r, Feb 2, 2004.

1. rich r

rich r Stunt Coordinator

hey all

I currrenly own a shiva mkIII and love the output of it when coupled to a 250w plate amp for HT

I recently started doing my car stereo and tested the shiva with about 200w load @4 ohm. My first impressions were good but there just wasnt enough juice to provide the output that I was after.

I did some research and I ran into the PEarless xls!! For those who dont know know its a 2ohm coil
    94Db eff @ 2.8v
    300w power handling (max/nom? )
    xmax of 13mm
    fs of 28 hz

the numbers are apealing to me but I would like to know if anyone has heard one of these and how they compare to the shiva.

I am worried that the xls will sound some what slugish or less responive than the shiva due to the suge surround ??

Also keep in mind that I would like to put the sub in the smallest box possible.

any opinons are welcomed

thanks
    Rich R

2. Brendan_Lewis

Rich,

I've had one of these in my Jeep.
    It does not sound sluggish at all.
    I've never put my shiva in a car but I was happy with sound quality and tiny box size of the XLS.

They are releasing an XXLS soon, it was demo'd at CES. I believe I saw the notes on this site?

3. rich r

rich r Stunt Coordinator

Brendan,

thats good to hear you are running a xls. what are your box dimensions and f3's

I have yet to do any simulations. I am still doing preliminary research and getting peoples personal opinions (numbers do not mean everything to me )

thanks
    Rich