What's new

Small Training Room Need (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I am selecting a component for a small computer training room we are making at my work. The room itself will be roughly 20 by 25. This unit will be used to show the screen from the instructors computer. I see it as 2 choices, either a ceiling mounted projector and screen, or I was thinking about a large (~42") flat-panel display mounted on the wall at the front of the room.

I need suggestions and recommendations as to which way to go and models. Especially if I go flat-panel, what models will connect to the computer, and if possible, via a wireless connection.

Thanks for all who help.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
The space will be too tight to have a separate table or stand. We will have 8 student desks, 2 rows, 2 on the left side of the center aisle and 2 on the right side. Then one instructors desk near the front of the room. This is why, at a minimum we need to ceiling mount a projector. While I wouldn't say money is no object for this project, we have a fairly large amount of money available to devote to this, ~5k.

So far I looked at a 2200 lumens InFocus projector that has wireless capability for the video feed, with ceiling mount it seemed it would run around 3000 plus installation. I also saw a 42" flat panel for 2389. But I could not tell from the catalog whether it could connect to a computer, and preferably, do so via wireless.

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
John,

If there are going to be any still images/logos, ect. on the screen at any time do not use a plasma. Plasma technology (phosphor based) is very susceptible to burn-in. The Infocus, from what I have seen, is a good unit to use for presentations. I am assuming that there will not be critical viewing of video/film based material on the device?

Definitely use a DLP projector is possible, this will yield ideal results from the information provided.

Regards,

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
David, thanks. What does DLP mean, specifically? Is it a certain feature in just some projectors or any of the InFocus I looked at are considered that?

You are correct, no intense video/film based material, maybe little clips from time to time.

David Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
John,

DLP stands for Digital Light Processing and it is a type of display technology that has become more popular over the past few years. It is solid state and works off of a DMD (Digital Micro-Mirror Device). It may be the best for your situation in that the projectors can be had within your budget and they do not suffer from any type of burn-in issue. Burn-in occurs where the image may damage the display by wearing itself into the phospher (burning over time).

For presentation we have found DLP Technology to be extremely beneficial. It's better than lugging a 300lb CRT Projector around to seminars! :)

Regards,

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
john ...

I have purchased a number of front projector setups for work. DLP is the way to go. You dont want a flat panel due to cost and aspect ratio. You wont find a flat panel in 4:3 aspect ratio larger than 37" (plasma) or 22" (LCD). These are both too small for your needs.

You need an XGA (1024x768 pixels) DLP Front projector.
My present favorite for cost/performance is the Dell 3300MP ...

I purchased one about 3 weeks ago for $1700.- delivered ... way cheaper than plasma and projection to up to 100" diagonal or more is no issue.

Scott

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Scott, thanks. I went to the link and it looks interesting. But where can I find spec like lumens, or what the Interlink Remote Point Navigator does, or pics of the 2 different ceiling mounts shown. None of that stuff on that page seems to have links. Do you know if the wireless is just for moving the mouse and clicking or is it a wireless means to send the signal from the PC to the projector, (like the InFocus product).

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Except for the extra cost, what do you think of the Dell 4100MP? Any drawbacks I should be aware of?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks