What's new

Small room and THX ultra speaker package - bad combination? (1 Viewer)

Marco_L

Auditioning
I have a dedicated room for my home theater - unfortunately it's very small - approx. 2.4 * 3.8 meters.

I'm looking for a knew set of 6.1 or 7.1 speakers, and at the movement I am very keen on the Jamo D6PEX 6.1. My worries is, that this system is to mutch for such a small space (it's THX Ultra certified). Is the room size going to prohibit (is that the right word?) the speakers from delivering the good stuff? I have heard this speaker package a few days ago - and it's fabulous. Gotta love it! But the listening room was twice the size - here it sounded nothing but amazing.

In Jamos setup-material they show that there should be a minimum of 2 meters between the center of the LF-speaker and the LR-speaker. Having the room 2.4 meters wide, and the 3 front speakers 0.6 meters wide each, doesn't leave much space between the three front speakers (approx 0.2 meters). Is this going to compomise the sound in any way - channel seperation for one.

I will be glad to receive any opinion on the matter.

Thank you on forehand. :)

Marco - from Denmark, Europe.

John S

Senior HTF Member
It will be fine... The better the better on this one..

You can usually very nearly equal a proper soundstange where you either don't have enough room to separate your front speakers or even when placement issues dictate they must be to far apart by simply towing in/out the L/R speakers....

Marco_L

Auditioning
Thank you John.

But what about the subwoofer. Can this be to big for the room? Today I talked to a salesman who wouldn't recommend this sub for my room - instead he recommended the Atlantic Technology 212 sub. But that's (ofcourse) not included in the Jamo package. He said that the sub of that size would produce standing waves, and that the sound would be very hard to control. I really don't know what to believe.

/Marco_L

John S

Senior HTF Member
Uhhhh.. I disagree on the sub... You simply turn it down if it is to much or causing any weird interactions with your room....

No such thing as to much headroom ever, and that is all a meaner sub really buys you, and well better extension which is beneficial no matter what sized room you have.

Marco_L

Auditioning
That would normally be my judgement too - but I'm no sound-wave-expert so ofcourse I can get confused on the matter.

Again - thank you John. I think I order this nice little package to night.

If anyone else has an opinion, I would be pleased to hear it.

/Marco_L

Marco_L

Auditioning
Just to add - about the Atlantic Technology 2200: WOW! What a punch those babies deliver. :emoji_thumbsup: They almost got my thinking about whether I have made the right chose or not.

/Marco_L

Lee-c

Supporting Actor
Ah, I imagine shipping to Denmark would be substantial if ordered directly from SVS... :)
In that case, go with the most potent subwoofer you can find locally that fits within your budget.
Especially important are how it handles deep bass 25Hz and below at high volume, since that
is where you really need the extra power when watching movies. :)

Or, you could bite the bullet on the shipping and get the PB10-ISD or PB12-ISD.
Look at it this way, even factoring in the shipping, what would you have to spend
to get the same superb level of performance in another brand that there was an importer for?
Plus, you will get a pretty good currency exchange rate when buying something from the U.S.,
taking some of the sting out of the cost. ;)

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I once had both an SVS 16-46PC+ and a Velo HGS-12II in a 9' x 12' room, it sounded fantastic! Actually, I got better overall sound in that little room than in my current 20' x 20' home theater.

- Bill

rob-h

Second Unit
Check out the SVS homepage, they are setting up distributors in Europe as we speak.

Marco_L

Auditioning

I have just (last evening) ordered my Jamo D6-package, but thank you anyway. Nether the less; I'm looking forward to hear one of those subs in the future.

/Marco_L

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi guys!!

Im an Atlantic Dealer, and love their stuff. The AT 212 sub is not THX ultra certified. I would recommend a AT 642 sub (retail $1000ish) for most applications (at a minimum). This sub can keep up with any of the other subs (keeping in mind the dealer vs direct sales pricing differences).

Happy listening!

Gregg

Manendra

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, Marco,

I know it's been 3 years, but a friend is now trying to buy the Jamo D6 for his room measuring 3.8m x 4.6m.

Since you had the D6 system running in a smaller room than that, I was wondering how it sounded. Do you still have the system?

Appreciate any feedback.
Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks