What's new

Small Metropolis DVD Update (1 Viewer)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
There is a small update on the Metropolis DVD at Bill Hunt's site.
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
There is some question as to whether the DVD should be transferred at 20 or 24 fps, but that's a technical debate we're not going to get into now (rather like whether 1.66 films should be 16x9 on DVD - there are opposing views).
There are people who think 18/20 fps vintage silent film should be sped up to 24fps? Really? Seriously?

This should be mastered to DVD in a manner that preserves the original timing.

Christian R

Agent
METROPOLIS already ran on German TV and it was screened at the proper speed. However the transferhouse mistakenly "duplicated" certain frames so it would run at the proper speed - but the print still looked great. At least everyone moved "normally" and it didn't look comical. It's this proper speed version with different music (which is not great - but hey - turn off the sound and put something of your own on if you hate it) which is apparently getting a R2 release. Here's hoping R1 will follow suit - otherwise I'm opting for the R1 "slower and longer" version.

StephenA

Screenwriter
I'll get to replace my Madacy disc when this comes out. Add it to the list of discs I'm gonna replace for better versions.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Like Michael, Bill Hunt's quote alarms me:

"There is some question as to whether the DVD should be transferred at 20 or 24 fps, but that's a technical debate we're not going to get into now (rather like whether 1.66 films should be 16x9 on DVD - there are opposing views)."

Frame-rate is just as important, if not more so, than aspect ratio!

GaryEA

Second Unit
I'm going to go against what I think will become the collective grain and say that no matter what the fps this film is released in, I'm going to buy it.

This is my favorite film. The Big One. The one where all roads lead to in my head. Everything I love about film is in this movie, and it's the reason why I went from being an unenthusiastic graphic design student that worked at a video store to an inspired switched to film grad. I rented this movie and I was blown away.

A-ha, Gary! If you love the film so, why not heed the intentions of Mr. Lang and demand the correct speed? Well at this point, if the film is released per Mr. Lang's wishes - great. No brainer.

But I've seen it so many times, all at varying speeds, that the issue is secondary, even third in my mind. Some were at 20, one at 22, most at 24, and one I watched at 28. I've enjoyed them all, because the film was still my focus, not how fast Freder reaches for Moloch. I suppose my eyes are trained to adjust, and in my head, I think there's some flexibility here.

This is the biggest restoration to come down the pike for Metropolis. I'll be there at the Film Forum next month and I'm going to buy it next year, bitch-free.

My favorite film is coming home and I can't be more excited.

-g

Bill Hunt

Insider
We're going to talk with Kino and get an official statement, but according to Robert Harris, notes were found during the restoration that indicated that the film was shown at as fast as 28fps. Our point is that, before we all start getting upset, let's see what Kino and the restoration guys have to say.

James Steffen

Auditioning
The original Gottfried Huppertz score for METROPOLIS was designed for the film to be shown at about 24 fps, and that is how it's going to be released in the theaters this July. I imagine the DVD will also be 24 fps. Even if the movement of actors looks fast to contemporary viewers, that's how the film was shown at the premiere. Personally, I'm really looking forward to hearing the Huppertz score with the film.

Actually, the "correct" speed for silent films like METROPOLIS is far from clear-cut. The speed at which a film was shot (and what may look "best" to modern viewers) is not necessarily the same as it was actually shown. Quite a few late silent films were shown at 24 fps or even as fast as 26. Furthermore, in practice some exhibitors sped up the projectors to squeeze in more screenings. And sometimes different reels of the same film were shown at different speeds to enhance the mood. Similarly, cameramen had a great deal of latitude in terms of camera speed and made frequent use of fast or slow motion for expressive effect. Modern attempts to show the film at the "correct" speed are usually just an educated guess, but if you have published records such as theater schedules, that can give you some idea.

James Steffen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks