What's new

Sling Blade discontinued - Is a special edition on the way? (1 Viewer)

Kipp Teague

Stunt Coordinator
A few weeks ago, Buena Vista discontinued Sling Blade. Any word on a forthcoming special edition?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I was wondering this but in a different context: the "Academy Awards Winning Movies" sets are coming out in a few weeks, and the only set I'm interested in is the one with Sling Blade in it. It also has Good Will Hunting, and I was wondering if it was a new version of Sling Blade (and a U.S. anamorphic GWH), or are they just getting rid of the same old versions in a package and for cheap(er).

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
This is interesting news as BV re-released this DVD just a year ago, but it was the exact same DVD as the original release which came out six years ago (bare-bones, single-layer, letterbox).

I would love to have a quality transfer of this excellent film and perhaps if they do a SE version maybe they can aquire the rights to BBT's original short 'Some Folks Call It a Sling Blade' and include it on a 2nd disc.

I know Vanguard's DVD of 'Some Folks Call It a Sling Blade' has not sold well at all even though it includes some very nice special featuers, so they might be open to an arrangment with BV.

Although I wont hold my breath, I'd also get very excited should BV talk BBT into recording a commentary track for 'Sling Blade'.

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but last I heard Criterion still owns the rights to that commentary and has no plans on leasing or selling those rights. Not only that, but as I recall BBT was quoted as saying he would not be recording a new commentary track for future Sling Blade releases.

Magnus T

Supporting Actor
I'm sure a deal similar to what CTHV did with Monty Python and the Holy Grail can be made between Buena Vista and Criterion.

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I bought a used Criterion laserdisc of
Sling Blade last year, so I'm sure that
there will be a better SE of this film
coming out on DVD very soon. ;)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Miramax is long overdue on many of their cheap first issue releases...

Sling Blade
Rounders
Cop Land
Things To Do In Denver When You're Dead

Etc...

I'd also like to see a special box-set edition of Gangs Of New York, similair to the proposed French edition. I despise the current cover art more than any other DVD release to date!

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I just had the opportunity to see Sling Blade for the first time a couple days ago and immediatley went online to purchase it, only to find out that the only version in R1 is a non anamorphic first generation barebones disc.

I certainly hope this movie gets a re-release soon!!

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was just at DVDTalk, and someone there posted a link to VideoETA saying a Slingblade CE is due out June 7. No details available. I'm not familiar with VideoETA so I'm not sure how accurate they are so I'm taking the info with a grain of salt right now, but just a head's up.

http://videoeta.com/movie.html?id=27034

Christopher*KH

Stunt Coordinator
Not only would it be nice to have a SE of Sling Blade theu should also include a salute to the Late Great John Ritter for the role he played in this film.

I remember the first time I saw this and I had to watch it all over again when I realized it was him.
Come to think of it TWO Awesome actors in this film has passed on John Ritter and J.T.Walsh
...both were very high caliber actors.

Also I would love to hear a commentary from Dwight Yoakam. His performance was scary. Then there was the "cameo" of Robert Duvall which I didnt hardly recognize him.

Truly this film deserves a Super Special Edition

Take Care, Chris

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Count me as someone who really wants a special edition as well. I work with DVD sales and I get requests for that disc from customers. Many of them do not understand the concept of 'out of print'.

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Sling Blade-Miramax Collectors Series due 6/7/05. No specs as of yet though some sites are listing it as unrated. I have the original but would have to wait until I see what is included before DDing. As far as the original being discontinued, there is still a handful of sites that still have it not including the usual used sites like half.com ebay, amazon marketplace, etc...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks