What's new

Skipping On DVD Player (1 Viewer)

AbelM

Second Unit
Ok I have a ? about my DVD player. Every once and a while my DVD player will just skip and pause for no reason. Anyone know why? Sometimes it will come back on (in about 10-20 secs) and other times, you have to open up the tray and pop the DVD back in...anyone know why at all??? Please help me out if you guys' can!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does the picture pixelize into large blocks? I don't suppose it could be due to vibrations to the DVD player. lastly, have you tried to clean the optical unit (laser)?

AbelM

Second Unit
Yeah, I bought a DVD cleaner and went through that, everything was fine! Popped another DVD in a few nights later, and the same thing happened again!?!? I don't know what's going on...hmmmm...OH and now block chopping!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Are the discs themselves clean (that is, do you play many rental discs)? Or are there specific "problem discs" involved?

And, of course, what DVD player might you be using, and how often is it used?

AbelM

Second Unit
Hi Jack,

I am using a Toshiba SD-1700 (I believe) and it gets used very rarely. Maybe 4-5 times a month. And most of the discs played are rentals (which I thought was the problem at first as well). Until I popped in (these are my own) LOTR, Uusual suspects, and Frailty. They all skipped.

Also, another note sometimes the DVD player won't even load the disc...it will just sit there saying 'loading' in the LED screen!? What's up with that?!

Todd Phillips

Second Unit
Sounds like you might have some dust in the player that is obstructing the laser, otherwise it might just be defective. You might try blowing some compressed air into the openings.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I recommend that you just open the unit, it is quite simple, and gently clean the laser lens with a soft clean cloth. That should solve your problem, if not, I think your laser has weakened and would require a change of laser diodes.

Sanjay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks