Skipping Commercials is Stealing ha ha ha

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan Jayne, Dec 31, 2002.

1. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Who was that dude who was quoted as saying that watching TV shows via VCR or TIVO or whatever and skipping the commercials was stealing?
    His statement is false, not true.
    Why should people be forced to sit through the hundredth rerun of a stale commercial spot? Especially a commercial that doesn't explain how the product is better than others like it or why I should vote for someone etc.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
    When you leave voice mail, are you often guilty of "sending an empty envelope?"

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

3. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

There is a giant problem with that theory, though.. that is that more and more programs are doing continous ads (see: TNN's damn bar, CNN's bars, and other crap) and product placement is more rampant then ever. I'd make a deal with TNN right now: give up the black bars and I'll let you come up with something that forces me to see commercials without skipping.

4. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

There are plenty of people who don't understand the difference between "making an existing business model less viable" and "stealing."

I suppose one could also claim that people who go to fast food joints, buy the $0.99 burger and then don't buy the profitable fries and soft drink are also "stealing." It's true that, if all customers did that, the restaurant would go out of business (or change its pricing model.)

5. John_Lee

John_Lee Supporting Actor

So if I fail to leaf through the Sears ad next time I buy a newspaper, is that stealing too?

6. Todd H

Todd H Go Dawgs!

Todd
    I go to the bathroom while commercials are on. I guess I'm a thief too. [​IMG]

7. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

8. DavidDeane

DavidDeane Extra

Not to sound callous, but who cares? That's the networks problem, not ours; we don't "owe" them anything. If my TiVo causes all of the networks to go bankrupt, and no more "free TV" to be offered, then that's fine with me. If there is no "free TV" (NB: I already pay for cable TV!), then I'll pay for what I want to watch (as I already do when I buy DVDs), or I will go back to reading books, or surfing the Internet. It is not my problem, and it isn't your problem, either, unless you are involved in TV business. Somehow I think the TV networks will find a way to adapt, and still make obscene amounts of money.

9. Francois Caron

Francois Caron Cinematographer

François Caron

10. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

11. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

12. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I like the idea of sponsorships of whole programs. If only sponsors could be convinced to do it on a regular basis.

But I think the reason people are skipping commercials is because the breaks are way, way too long.

13. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

It's like if a label is attached to something, it changes what it is. I don't have a problem with skipping commercials, no matter if someone affixes the title "stealing" or "killing;" it doesn't change my action. We shouldn't be such sheep. Life is too short to sit around watching ads for toothpaste.

14. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Exactly. Commercials used to take up much less airtime, and a toprated sitcom didn't used to cost $6M for 22 minutes in salary costs alone. The problem is greed, and people are responding by skipping the commercials. It's a sound reaction, and anyone who sits and watches the commercials because they feel bad that Courteney Cox won't be able to buy a third million dollar mansion in Beverly Hills is out of his/her mind...

Give me 6 minutes of advertising an hour and I'll sit through it.

15. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

16. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

I hereby give everybody permission to either leave the room or fast-forward commercial - namely because it doesn't matter - unless you are a Nielson family.

Glenn

17. Tim Markley

Tim Markley Screenwriter

Ridiculous! I remember when cable TV was first introduced. You had to pay for it because there were no commercials. Well, we're still paying for it and now it's got as many commercials as 'free' TV. Each year the amount of broadcast time for commercials goes up and the amount of broadcast time for actual show content goes down. It's getting so I can barely stand to watch TV and is one of the reasons that I've recently bought a TIVO.

18. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

19. MickeS

MickeS Producer

What do you mean by "very" indirectly? We're paying very much directly for the cost of television: every product advertised costs money, every cable TV package costs money. I'm not paying directly, but I do pay, for example, Jeep directly, and they pay the TV station directly, and the TV station pays WB and they pay Courteney Cox. I wouldn't say that's "very" indirectly.

The notion that we get "free" TV is one big lie to keep making rich TV stars richer. How much does it cost to produce network TV every year? Considering that "Friends" alone will cost $200 million or so, I'd say it's quite a lot of money. And we pay every single cent of it. And we keep paying more and more, while getting less and less actual programming. And it's not like we can't stop paying: the system is constructed so cleverly that almost everything we buy pays for television. And now we have to pay hundreds, almost $1000 if you have any premium programming, every year to AVOID commercials. How's that for a clever business model: PAY to NOT receive something you've already payed for!

20. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor