What's new

"Sixteen Candles" Missing Scenes? (1 Viewer)

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Until I got the DVD of Sixteen Candles, I think I had only seen it on my pre-recorded Beta tape. While the disc certainly looks and sounds great, I noticed at least three scenes missing:

1. Jake tries to call Samantha, but gets grandparents. On the DVD, the original scene where he calls then hangs up before talking to them (other than the "eat me" comment) is there, but he never calls back. On the video tape, he definitely calls back.

2. In the video tape, Caroline gets her hair stuck in a door during the party at Jake's house. She ends up getting a chunk of it cut off so she can get free. In the DVD, this scene is nowhere to be found.

3. In the video tape, when Jake is trying to clean up after the party, he discovers Farmer Ted under (in?) the coffee table. On the DVD, this scene is included in the menu, but not the movie.

Does anyone know if these scenes were added for the home video release? Is the DVD the original theatrical version? It's just weird when you get to know a movie so well and then see a different version of it.

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
I saw all those scenes on my DVD. This is the new High School Reunion DVD you are talking about right? Hmm....
Rick

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Yes, I am talking about the new High School Reunion disc. We did watch it late at night. Maybe I dozed off? :b Guess I'll have to take another look at it.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
One scene thats on the tv version of candles is in the cafeteria, where samantha says she wont eat, but its not on this version.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
The good news is that I'm not crazy. The bad news is that I think I have a bad disc.

I went home last night and checked out my DVD. It plays fine on my computer, but when I play it on my main player (a new Toshiba SD-V390) it skips from the middle of chapter 10 (~48:45) to the beginning of chapter 11 (~53.41).

I'm assuming that this is a single layer disc, so it shouldn't be a layer change. I also haven't read of any problems with this disc, so I can only assume it's bad. Guess it's time to contact Amazon for an exchange.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
Brian, i doubt that with a 5.1 track, and a d.t.s. track, and as good as this dvd looks that its a single layer, no way !:D

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
It is definitely a dual layer disc. I will post the layer change location later this evening unless someone beats me to it.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks