What's new

Sima Video Copy Master (1 Viewer)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I was at Best Buy this afternoon (finally got Bad Taste, yay), browsing video accessories. I came across a device called the "Video Copy Master" (model SED-CM) by a company called SIMA. It cost $50.

I've never been much into the hardware side of home theater. I've never heard of this company, and I'm not quite sure what this device does. It said it "boosts the signal" of a video, or something to that effect. It's hard to tell, but does this device defeat Macrovision ? If not, what exactly does it do? If so, is it worth my money? I've been looking for something to defeat Macrovision for a while.

And just for the record, I'm totally against pirating/bootlegging. I'd just like to be able to record a few DVDs onto VHS tapes so I can watch them in my bedroom (where I have a VCR but no DVD player).

J

John Morris

Carl: Yes, it does. Using the big brother to the Sima CM unit I have made many VHS copies of DVDs for my kids to watch in their rooms. You don't mind if they ruin a 50 cent VHS tape, but a $20 DVD is another matter altogether. :)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
John, thanks for the reply —

You say you've used the "big brother" to the copymaster. Does that mean you haven't actually used the exact one I'm talking about? Another person told me that the device works well for defeating macrovision on VHS, but that DVD uses a more complex form that the copymaster can't really handle. He suggested the Sima SCC Color Corrector for the purpose I want. Is that the unit you use?

Ray Tsui

Stunt Coordinator
No, it doesn't work (Sima VCM). The Sima SCC Pro works. I have both. VCM only defeats first generation DVD macrovision. Macrovision comes in more advanced flavours on newer machines.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Thanks for your help, guys. That's exactly what I wanted to know.

J

John Morris

Carl: you can buy the Sima SCC for around $99 online. Do a search for "Sima SCC" and you'll find about a dozen places or more to buy it.

Good Luck!

NickSP

Supporting Actor
A very good thread. I have two DVD players at home. A Panny A110U and a Onkyo DVM-301 mega changer. The Onkyo is a newer machine of the 2 units. I also have a 1995/1996 model RCA-SVCR and a very old Magnavox HIFI VCR.

Both the VCRs made excellent copies when I played DVDs on the Panny but when I play the DVD on the Onkyo, only the Magnavox records copies well.

I had no idea why until I read this thread about different generations of DVD players. Also older VCRs don't seem to recognize macrovision and the newer ones do. I also own a Mitsubishi HSU-795 which will not record from any DVD player.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Carl: you can buy the Sima SCC for around $99 online. Do a search for "Sima SCC" and you'll find about a dozen places or more to buy it.
Thanks for the advice, but one of the reasons I was excited about the Copymaster was the price point. Like I said, all I want to do is watch some movies in my bedroom. For $99, I could just go ahead and get a second DVD player. You can get some models for under $80 now! (I've already bought two to give as Christmas presents.) It wouldn't be a top-of-the-line model, but for the 19-inch Magnavox in my bedroom, I think it would suffice.

Again, thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks