What's new

Silvercats - I am now officially a believer! (1 Viewer)

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I am truly surprised, these shiny little 0.5-M tigers are truly making my two-channel stereo only system sing!
They are only a few days old and I'm sure they will get better over time. I was very happy with the soundstage that my system was throwing out prior to the change to the Silvercat interconnects, now it is amazing. It was wide before, but now there is depth to go with the width.
The detail is increased without a trace of added harshness. I was hesitant to spend the money, but it was a great bang for the buck.
The system:
Preamp: Arcam Alpha 8R Integrated
Amp: Bryston 3B-ST
CD: Arcam Alpha 9
Speakers: Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SE's
Speaker Cable: Kimber 8TC w/WBT connectors
Interconnects: New Silvercats
Old Interconnects: Audioquest Topaz and Monster Std. Interlink 100
Thanks for the advice on the Silvercats - Meow!
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif
star.gif

Mike

Trevor Schell

Supporting Actor
I am a believer too Mike!! :)
So far I have 10 SilverCat interconnects in my system.
All I can say is Meow. :)
------------------
Trevor..
shellshock.gif

Link Removed Sonically Enhanced
Updated new pictures!

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
I am a believer as well. I ordered a pair of Silvercats for my Musical Fidelity A3cr Amp and Preamp that run my Martin Logan SL3's and let me tell you...PURRRRRFECTION!
If you're wondering about these babies, wonder no more!
The Cat's Out of The BAG!!! :B
E
------------------
The Norwegian Audio/Video NUT!

Kevin P

Screenwriter
I know I've posted this in just about every SilverCats thread that's popped up here, but once again I give them 2 paws up!
biggrin.gif

Yummy cables and yummy sound. Try SACD with SilverCats, you'll never go back!
wink.gif

I can see CatCables becoming the SVS of interconnects. (how's that for a plug, Doug?) :)
KJP

PomingF

Second Unit
Mike:
Welcome to the Cat crowd. Wait till you see Adire & Cat joining hands (or paws). I can tell you the Cats are taking over my systems as well & I gotta stop myself from thinking about that Ultra thing.
wink.gif
If you know what I mean Doug.
PF

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
count me in as a BIG fan of their cables. I've got my 3rd pair coming any day now :)
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Geesh, I am seeing stars. :) Mike, glad your enjoying them, and those 5 stars really light up my room.
As for you other guys? your purrrrrfect!
Doug
------------------
Lexman's Theater

John Chow

Second Unit
How do these compare to the ones the have at BetterCables? I notice they're pretty much the same price. Any opinions?

PomingF

Second Unit
John:
If all else equal, the Cats' locking RCA's takes the trophy IMHO. In my system the only place the SilverCats didn't win out was with my tube preamp. I found the MIT 330 Series II preamp-in & Kimber Select preamp-out combo sounds better and I was upfront with Doug about it. Other than that the rest was SilverCats all the way.
PF

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
PF ah so now I know why you're so interested in those SilverCat LEX cables :)
------------------

James D

Second Unit
I am currently looking for a good digital coaxial cable to link up my Sony 7700 and Marantz 6200. I noticed that Cat Cables offers several different models of similarly priced digital cables. I would appreciate any recommendations for which model to go for. Thanks

PomingF

Second Unit
Any of the silver claded ones should be okay but I went the ThundaCat (WBT connectors) route myself. :)
Now where's the cable patrol?
PF

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
.... bzzzzz... calling all units.... over.. bzzzzzzz ....... 7-11-cable in progress... over.. bzzzzz
naaaah.. enjoy your cables.. your money.. your call.. your purchase. your beliefs.
just make sure the soundstage doesn't get too wide.. or too deep or ...... whatever! ..
laugh.gif

Good Luck
------------------
The things we own end up owning us

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
John what might I ask are you using for a digital interconnect? If I were to guess I'd say its very likely not the OEM cable that came with the dvd player. Why choose another cable when other sites have done ABX testing with a coat hanger? For me I don't really expect to hear a difference with the digital coax I choose from Catcables over the RS 75 ohm video cable I was using before but I didn't buy it for that reason. Have I ever done A-B comparisons on digtal cables? No do I care if this one sounds differeny? not really. So why then did I buy one? Well there's a couple of reasons. First I happen to have a lot of pride in my home theater gear and though its not high end I do appreciate high quality well built equipment. Having purchased several other cables from catcables I knew that the digital cable would be built to the same level of craftsmenship that the others were. I liken it to fishing in that you can go to wallmart and buy a decent fly casting rod for under $40 that will perform every bit as good as a fine hand crafted bamboo pole. Now the hand made one is going to cost you a fair bit more then the wall mart one and I'm sure if you were to "test" both the results would be similar (hours of frustration standing knee deep in cold water :)) but ask any fisherman which rod they'd like to own. Is it a snobby attitude? maybe, personally I just like to think its a little pride.
The other reason I bought the cable from catcables is the owner. I've known lexman for a long time and I know he's an all round great guy that has started his own company. He doesn't expect to become the next Monster cable company but rather to build high quality top notch cables for those people that choose to own a handcrafted cable. Maybe its a little like art in that respect, some people see a beautiful painting others just a few lines that don't make sense.
------------------

PomingF

Second Unit
I totally agree with Andrew. With what I invested in my system including one of the highly rated DAC/dejittered system, I am not about to hook it up to a clothhanger or even a generic coaxial cable. I bought a DHLab coaxial digital cable (D-75) with the DAC but upgrading to the ThundaCat gives my system the look (check out it's pic on Cat's website), security (those locking RCA's again) & probably sound (less loss/correction) only if I can find time to break it in. :)
PF

PomingF

Second Unit
Oh boy, I miss that Scientology link. :)
Btw John, I see you live in Houston any chance for you to stop by San Antonio on your way north to audition my SilverCats? There may be someone from Houston who contacted me on another forum stopping by in a few weeks to check out my Def Tech & Diva speakers.
I also like to add to your comment on the two brands. The SilverCat is the only PURE silver I/C while others use silver coated copper and pricewise the Cats offer as wide a price range as you like to spend on silver I/C's. Who knows if you e-mail the Head Cat for your needs he may even cut you some breaks here & there.
wink.gif

PF

John-D

Stunt Coordinator
quote: John what might I ask are you using for a digital interconnect? If I were to guess I'd say its very likely not the OEM cable that came with the dvd player. [/quote]
Your DVD player came with an optical/coax digital cable??? Mine just had the lousy red and white packins which were too short anyway, so I bought a very affordable acoustic research optical cable. Now if I'd found a cheaper optical cable, I sure would've bought THAT. And trust me, if I were using some fancy shmancy cable in my gear cuz the vendor just gave it to me (happens to some people!), I'd gladly use it but would never assert it sounded any better than another well built cheaper cable.
These days anyway I use an HTPC for my DVD playback and have a regular 75ohm Rat Shack Gold video cable being used as a digital coax cable. I DEFY anyone to find the differnce in a double blind test.. drinks on me for anyone who can
wink.gif

-------------------------------------
The things we own end up owning us
[Edited last by John-D on August 25, 2001 at 10:34 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks