What's new

Silpheed 2 (1 Viewer)

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me or is this game one of those impossible shooters, now I own and play A LOT of shooters, including the original Silpheed, but Silpheed 2 is crazy. There are no power-ups in the game, no bombs, no life finds outside of the 4 extra shields you get midway when the refuel ship drops down. Right now I can only get to the end of the 3 level. Anyone else play this

Jacob Rohrer

Agent
I had no problems beating the Japanese version. Although Spaz/Working Designs is known to rebalance shooters during their localization process. Most comments I have heard regarding this, is that its never for the better, and almost inevitably makes the game too difficult. Sounds like they did it again with Silpheed.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
They did do it will Silpheed 2. I believe, in the back of the Silpheed 2 manual there is a page that talks about how great they are a localizing games and how they removed the slow down, etc....but it never mentions the increase in difficulty level, you can choose Normal or Hard thats it.
Working Designs also did this with Layer Section 2, which was released here as RayStorm.
It is well known that the Japanese like there games a little easier than most Americans, but I like my games how the Japanese like theres, I don't play them to be challenged to the point I want to trash my house in anger, no I play them to have FUN!

James D S

Screenwriter
It is well known that the Japanese like there games a little easier than most Americans...
It is?
When games get shipped over here, far more often than not, they get 'dumbed-down' for, what they call, the short span of attention of Americans. I can't think of a game that was made 'harder' for the express purpose of pleasing masochistic Americans. :)
Fill me in if I'm mistaken.
Peace.

Nathan A

Second Unit
James,
I've read the exact opposite. That Japanese gamers are the ones with shorter attention spans and we Americans like a challenge. Games are usually made harder for us. Less lives, less ammo, etc. I don't mind, unless it gets ridiculously difficult. I think T.M. Black went a little overboard. It's fun, but the frustration it causes almost cancels out any enjoyment I get from it.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Games are usually made harder for us. Less lives, less ammo, etc. I don't mind, unless it gets ridiculously difficult.
I guess that makes us Europeans the top gamers then - every game I worked on back in Scotland had to be 'dumbed down' for the US market
wink.gif

------------------
Nothing In Particular

Jacob Rohrer

Agent
James,
I think you might be confusing this "dumbed down" with the American Localization of RPG's. Where specifically Square and Enix dubbed Americans too stupid to get through their RPG's and removed a lot of sidequest elements, in order to make the game more linear, and supposedly easier for us to handle.
The Japanese on the other hand do not like to 'die' and have to 'restart' continuously in their games. Frequently, action based games are much easier in Japan than they are here.
And I agree with you Kelley, its one of the main reasons I buy all my shooters import.

Kelley_B

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading in an interview with the man who made Resident Evil, name has escaped my head!, that they had almost double the amount of ammo and health in the Jap version of the original RE. One of the biggest changes that they do is take out anything Americans would find offensive, like pentagrams, etc. Our easy difficulty in games is normally their hard difficulty, thats how it was with Metal Gear Solid(read that in an interview).
BrianB,
You are right though about Euros having some of the more difficult games. I have read something about this also. Because they play the games they buy more they like a better challenge
Jacob,
That is why I am going to start buying all my shooters import, also I am missing out on so many good shooters that just don't ever get brought over here, Radiant Silvergun ring a bell.
[Edited last by Kelley_B on August 06, 2001 at 09:01 PM]

Iain Lambert

Screenwriter
I've not played Silpheed 2, but I fail to believe its half as difficult as the games like Army Moves that Dinamic (sp?) used to release for the Spectrum and C-64. Brian is right about Scottish games too - while a great game to play the difficulty of Blood Money is infamous! Kids these days have it too easy I tell you :)

Joel Mack

Senior HTF Member
Us Scots really are the best. At everything.
I'd have to concur. My wife is Scottish, and she IS the best. At everything. (nudge nudge wink wink)
"If it's not Scottish, it's crap!"
------------------
"If we blow up, whatever's left of me is kickin' your butt."

John Chow

Second Unit
Hmmm...interesting...I have the japanese version of Super Mario Bros. 3, and it is more difficult than the US version in that regardless of what power up you had (leaf, fire flower, hammer suit, etc.) when you got hit, you got shrunk into little mario. On the other hand, in the US version, you revert to big mario.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks