What's new

Silence of the Lambs - Full Specs Inside! (1 Viewer)

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Courtesy of blu-ray.com...

MGM Home Entertainment in conjuction with 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment has announced that they will bring the Academy Award-winning film 'Silence of the Lambs' to Blu-ray on March 3rd. Video will be presented in 1.85:1 1080p AVC accompanied by a 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack.

Extras for this release include:

Breaking The Silence Feature

Understanding the Madness Feature

Inside The Labyrinth: Making The Silence Of The Lambs documentary

The Silence Of The Lambs: Page To Screen two-part documentary
A Wealth Of Talent
Preparation And Authenticity

Scoring The Silence featurette

Original 1991 “Making of” featurette

Deleted Scenes...
Clarice Meets Lecter
Clarice on the Firing Range
Ardelia find a Newspaper Article
Clarice at a Storage Unit (Excerpts)
John Douglas at Quantico
Second Meeting (Excerpts)
Clarice Gets Her Gun
Crawford and Clarice (Excerpts)
Clarice Reviews Phony Deal
Third Meeting (Excerpts)
Buffalo Bill Sews (Excerpts)
Clifton Taunts Lecter (Excerpts)
Kack Crawford at Johns Hopkins
Krendler Discovers Phony Deal
Clarice Meets Barney
Lecter's Escape
Clarice Gets Suspended
Clarice's Decision
Inside Buffalo Bill's Lair
Mr. Bimmel and the Birds
Buffalo Bill and Clarice (Excerpts)
Lecter's Phone Call

Outtakes Reel

Anthony Hopkins Phone Message (audio only)

TV Spots...
Mind Against Mind
Clue For Clue
Only Hope
Hangs In The Balance
Teacher
FBI
Rookie
Bookwing Flap Teaser

Theatrical Trailer

Teaser Trailer

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Provided they don't screw up the transfer in some way, this will be a rare catalog title that I will buy pronto!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ditto.

Oh, and one more potential stumbling block, let's hope this doesn't fall prey to their usual $39.99 MSRP pricing scheme. I'm putting a $27 limit on this, if I can't find it for that or less (selling price), I'll wait until the price drops happen 6-12 months later.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Looking at the specs here, is there any new, exclusive BD content? I haven't watched my SD 2-disc "Collector's Edition" in a while, but the contents look familiar. Either way, I will pick this up at some point and dump the SD. I will, however, never part with my trusty old Criterion edition.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
The press release says that the "Breaking The Silence" and "Understanding The Madness" features will be in HD, but other than the audio and video upgrades, it looks like that's it.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I've been itching to watch this lately but I sold my Criterion disc off years ago and never did replace it with the CE. I'll be anxiously awaiting the Blu-ray!

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

Jesse covered the HD upgrades. I've bought the original LaserDisc, the Criterion DVD, and the first MGM SE. I didn't go again for the CE, so there's a fair bit of new stuff for someone like myself. This new blu with the Criterion DVD should I think give you everything.

GVF25

Auditioning
Real Name
Brent
The only special feature I have ever wanted from The Silence of the Lambs is the audio commentary from the now out of print Criterion Collection. It is a shame it can't be brought across, for whatever reason.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member

Didn't the most recent MGM SD DVD transfer have the wrong color-timing? I'm definitely anxious to pick this up, but lately it seems the wisest thing to do with catalog releases is wait a couple weeks to ensure the 'sins of the SD DVD haven't been revisited on the BD'. :D

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, I'm a huge burned-in subs fan, especially when it's part of the look of the film (i.e. Silence of the Lambs, and This Is Spinal Tap). I abhor when they're replaced by player-generated subs. Hopefully since Blu-Ray has superior player-generated sub capabilities (much better anti-aliasing, and larger choice of fonts) if MGM does force player-gen subs they will attempt to recreate to the greatest extent possible the original look, feel, placement and *timing* of the original subs for both SotL and This Is Spinal Tap.

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
I hope that as its a North American release, it will simply have the burned-in titles. In the links I provided, the hideous subtitles came only on the UK/Euro versions, not the US. The Beaver, which only reviews US editions doesn't touch upon the issue.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Hmm, on the C.E. SD-DVD, "Breaking the Silence" is only one part of a three-part documentary, the other two parts ("The Beginning" and "Making THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS") of which I am not seeing listed here; conversely, there is nothing on the C.E. called "Understanding the Madness". Looks like fans of bonus features will have to do a direct A/B comparison before selling off their C.E.'s...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
As long as they do not screw up the transfer and do not apply DNR to remove film grain and offer a lossless audio track. I will buy this title on Bluray on release day!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
:emoji_thumbsup: assuming it's a good quality release of course. :D

Like some here, I too still have my old Criterion DVD -- one of the very first DVDs I bought back in 1998 -- plus the more recent 2-disc CE version. I think I also bought the SE version in between, but not sure what happened to it -- probably a casualty to losing track of DVDs lent out to family and friends. :P

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks