What's new

The Silence of the Lambs: Collector's Edition - Due 1/30/07 (1 Viewer)

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, basically it breaks down like this:

Faux-theatrical cut: disc 1 of limited edition Anchor Bay 2-disc/only disc of original "standard" Anchor Bay single disc released simultaneously. This disc also features a "making-of" featurette and a cinematography featurette available nowhere else.

Director's cut: disc 2 of limited edition Anchor Bay 2-disc

Restored Directors Cut: single-disc Anchor Bay release, slightly different cut than previous DC, features Michael Mann commentary.

Theatrical cut: available as single-disc fullframe release and boxset exclusive widescreen release from MGM.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Out of curiosity, what exactly is the source of the version of the movie originally released by AB as the "theatrical" version? It seems to incorporate elements from both the theatrical and director's cuts. I can understand how an incorrect or mislabled version might have been used as the source of the DVD, but why was this strange hybrid version assembled in the first place? Has anyone ever figured that one out?

Also, any particular explanation for the slight difference between the two director's cuts? Did Mann just change his mind in the interim? Does he mention this on the commentary?

Thanks.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
We should not forget the region 2 disc from Japan (also MGM/UA), which has been out for a few years, is widescreen, NTSC, the theatrical cut, and contains a butt-kicking DTS 5.1 track.

Well, Anchor Bay got their source from De Laurentiis directly, so perhaps their source was an earlier cut. In addition to the editorial differences, the intentional blurring at the beginning of the film is absent from the Anchor Bay cut, which leads me to believe it was an earlier cut, before some final aesthetic choices were made.

-Lyle J.P.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

The additional scene is a brief meeting between Graham and Dr. Chilton before Graham goes in to see Lecter the first time. This scene makes Chilton out to be more in line with how his character comes across in THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (and later, Brett Hackner's RED DRAGON remake). I don't know why Mann didn't include it in the later Anchor Bay "Director's Cut" DiviMax release.

I actually put together my own composite edit of MANHUNTER combining ALL the footage from all versions. All told, it runs just under 131-minutes.

Vincent

Charlie Kaus

Agent
So does the new SOTL 2 disc set come with a movie ticket to Hannibal Rising? I've heard from some people it does and others it doesn't. any help would be appreciated.

Charlie

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

No. According to a sticker on the packaging it says:
"Download an Exclusive Sneak Peek of Hannibal Rising In Theaters February 9, 2007"

I was kind of surprised that it did not have one. Probably because the movie "Unknown" that came out this week has a ticket for the movie thru Circuit City.

If anyone is interested in the exclusive sneak peek download, log on to
HANNIBALRISINGEXCLUSIVE.COM and enter the code: REVENGE

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
So what's the verdict on the new transfer of Silence? Is it finally "correct" or not? I picked up the two-disc last night and it's certainly the best I've ever seen it look (the first thing I noticed is that all the dirt and specks that plauged the MGM disc have been erased-yay!), but I'm not familiar enough with the film to know if it's correctly color timed or not.

David (C)

Stunt Coordinator

The new MGM transfer offers a darker picture and corrected the green tint. It still lacks the detail of the Criterion version and it doesn’t carry over the color of that transfer.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
And SotL has also been reframed, clipping off a little bit more from the top and starting to seem a bit cramped (at least in one or two of the stills in the Beaver comparison).

There was also a poster in one forum claiming that some of the titles at the beginning were missing, but I haven't heard anyone support that assertion. Personally, I'd love to know how the soundtrack compares as the first MGM release (which I don't have) was criticized for a severe lack of LFE presence as compared to the Criterion disc.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

Also, every single "deleted scene" from the Criterion disc features significant amounts of footage that's not present in either MGM edition (both of which present the exact same collection of deleted scenes).

Overall the MGM releases present more deleted footage but the footage exclusive to the Criterion disc is a pretty significant thing missing from either MGM edition too.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
The French MGM Manhunter DVD is the real theatrical cut in anamorphic widescreen and 5.1 sound.

I managed to bag a copy cheap from ebay, I think it is now OOP.

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Is someone with this able to confirm that all the titles at the start of the film are present. Can not find it mentioned in any of the online reviews.
On the R2 UE many of these are missing including the film title !!!!. Also the location which appear during the film on the R2 are player generated rather than burnt in, is the case for the R1 as well.

Assuming all the titles are present would rather have this correct than the DTS from the R2 DVD.

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
The Collector's Edition is correct on the titles and the location captions.
It´s a fine release, in regards of the DTS mix missing on the CE i don't think that it matters much since this is an older film (older i mean it was released in theaters in Dolby SR)

Cheers
Maggi

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray

Yes, but in that light a 5.1 DD is unnecessary as well.

If the original stems are intact then a good DTS mix is just as possible (if not indeed warranted) as a DD mix is IMO....and I personally have never heard a shocking difference between the two in equal mixing situations (I.E. if both are derived from a common quality 5.1 mix), but if there is space available then I say go for both (as well as the original matrix surround) so long as it doesn't compromise video quality.

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin M
I agree that they should have included the original mix on the CE.
But to hear that i pop in the Criterion version as well for the commentary.

Cheers
Maggi

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks