What's new

Shrek 2: Menu Shots & (Some) Specs! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
NOW would have been the time to include the Shrek 3-D disc, in order not to force people into buying the first film all over again in a compromised format. Damn, I hate marketing ploys.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams

I had the same thought. Hopefully it is just disk one and disk two has a DTS track. Come on Dreamworks, please do not drop the ball on this one. I'm really getting tired of every DVD release being a special edition. There is nothing spacial about most of them b/c they throw those stupid 10-15 min. featurettes on there and call them documentaries. Also, once you have seen how they make one CG movie you have seen how they make all CG movies. I wish they would start concentrating on presentation more then features. I'm just getting tired of the redundant features that end up on most releases. Sorry about the rant, I'm just going to be really disappointed if there is no DTS on Shrek 2. I'm a fan of DTS and I think that these studios could drop a few of the mindless and repetitive featurettes and start adding DTS to more releases. Just my opinion.

AaronMK

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Aaron Karp
Yes, DTS please, especially since it was on the first movie's release (well, at least the REAL release).

On a movie that made over $400 million, I would hope they would see fit to give it a two disc release in the spirit of the first one (not wasting space for P&S would also be nice) to allow for DTS and great picture quality along with lots of special fetures geared at both kids and adults.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
These are the animated menus on the version that's been downloadable on the net for weeks, complete with voice over by Eddie Murphy. Unfortunately the functions such as commentary are inactive, they must have been stripped by whoever copied it.

I guess that either means these aren't the real menus or that the rumors were true about the version doing the rounds being from the actual DVD.

Jay Gunn

Stunt Coordinator
Johnny's right, these menu shots are from a bootleg of the actual retail DVD that's been floating around the net. That's why the site says they only have "partial info" on special features. Kinda sad that they want to use an illegal copy of the DVD for an "exclusive".

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
To be honest, the DTS track on the Shrek DVD is all but indistinguishable from the DD track (and it's not just me, most reviews pointed this out at the time). I'd prefer the space to be used on increasing the picture bit-rate, so I've no problem with its omission in this case.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I was one of those originally disappointed in the soft transfer of the original Shrek release, which featured four 5.1 audio tracks (English, French, & Spanish Dolby 5.1 and English DTS) along with a pair of English 2.0 surround tracks (one for commentary). That's a tremendous hit in peak bitrate. Removing the DTS and downgrading the Spanish to surround for Shrek 2 would add a full Megabit/sec to the video bitrate.

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
I have yet to put the downloaded disc through my Barco projector but on my Sony plasma, it looks a good transfer.

I'll have to wait for the real thing to judge the DTS track though :frowning:

Johnny G

Supporting Actor
We had a Shrekathon last night on the big screen and after watching Shrek, I was amazed at the quality of the sequel.

I remember watching Toy Story 2 at the cinema & as usual, Pixar had gone overboard with detail, making a HUGE improvement over the original.

I wouldn't have thought things would have come on quite as much since Shrek but once again, the animation has come on leaps & bounds & the DVD shows it up to be FAR superior to the original, sometimes looking like live action.

Being a short film, I don't know how much compression has been used to get this on 1 layer as the menus are quite complex but there's definitely no sign of it.

Also the soundtrack makes excellent use of the rear channels, pleanty of amuzing rear effects but I particularly liked the scenes in the rain, sounding so real, it felt like you we're gonna get wet.

Tim O.

Grip
The Digital Bits is reporting Dreamworks has officially announced Shrek 2 for release on 11/5. It'll be available in seperate fool-screen and widescreen versions. But get this - single disc only folks. Unless you wanna shell out a few more bucks for the Shrek "Story So Far" Box set (includes Shrek, Shrek 3-D, and a 2-disc Shrek 2). So the bonus disc will ONLY be available in the box set...sigh.

Pretty shoddy treatment for the biggest movie of the year so far.

Commence firing everyone...

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Since I don't have Shrek 3-D, and I can easily find someone to give the original movie to, maybe I'll splurge for the box.

JasonKZ

Stunt Coordinator
Well, before we go sale crazy, the question I would ask is if the box set (darn you for making me buy this!!!) contains 1-disc version of the first Shrek or 2-disc version.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Mmm a 5-disc Shrek/Shrek 2 set? Might finally get it, as I don't have anything but the movies were pretty fun. Just as long as Shrek is the 2-disc edition.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks