What's new

Should I wait for HDMI 1.3 to buy new TV and AV receiver? (1 Viewer)

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
I wonder if I should wait for HDMI 1.3.

Just today, I got some settlement compensation money at work and I can use about $6000 to buy new TV and AV receiver. I want to do this just because my 5-year old toshiba tw40x81 currently supports only 480i, 480p, but not 1080i (which should have also supported). The 1080i is not working at all(I have tested this TV with comcast HDTV box, PS3 and XBOX 360, and it does not correctly display image in 1080i from any source), and I am not about to fix it since it is out of warranty. This TV does not even support 720p.

Anyway, back to the original question (sorry if I repeat myself). So should I wait to buy new a TV and a new AV receiver with HDM 1.3? Thanks.

Regards,
orestes

JamesMet

Auditioning
IMO since you're planning on buying both, why not wait a little and buy 1.3 HDMI comptaible ones, my position is similar to yours, and that's what I'm going to do.

MickBurke

Grip
I too am looking at upgrading my display from my old 1080i Hitachi to something a little more up to date. Do we know when the HDMI 1.3 systems are coming and who will be offering them?

Mick

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Mick, that's a good question to ask. Someone at best buy told me today that there was already a Sony TV with HDMI 1.3, but it was not on display; thus, I don't know what Sony model this sales person was referring to.

Can someone here answer how much longer we have to wait until we start seeing TVs and AV receivers with HDMI 1.3 support? Thanks.

orestes

JamesMet

Auditioning
I've heard that the new A3000 SXRDs might have 'em which will be released in June/July. The XBR5 SXRDs will almost definitely have 'em which will be released September/October. So I think that we'll see a lot more 1.3 HDMI compatible HDTVs and AV receivers after July.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
James, is that Sony model that you mentioned an LCD?

Does anyone know which AV receivers will support HDMI 1.3 late this year? I guess for what I am reading that I will have to wait until after christmas to see HDMI 1.3 ready available on the market.

orestes

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Thanks, Elizabeth. I will look either for a Pioneer or Denon, preferably a Pioneer Elite to replace my old Denon AVR-3300.

James, thank you. However, I am looking for 40-42 inch LCD since I have limited space in my small apartement. Currently I own a Toshiba 40 inch rear projection HDTV model TW40X81 as I mentioned in my first post. So hopefully by going with HD LCD unit, I can save some space in my apartment.

Thanks,
orestes

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
Does anyone know when the new line of Toshiba Regza X series will be out? According to some articles on the net, this X series should have HDMI 1.3a, but when I read about these series, they seem to come out in Europe first. I could not find an article saying when it will be here in the USA.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
As far as TVs go, the LN-Txxxx series from SamSung have HDMI 1.3a. I have the LN-T4061 and am very happy with it. So far, my only 1.3a component attached is the Oppo 981 DVD Player, though. But I hesitate to recommend the line since many people are having 1.3a handshake issues, especially with PS3s. There are extensive threads over at AVS Forum with various issues people are having, but perhaps much of it is inherent with 1.3a, as other brands have similar issues. . .

I'm also in the same boat of picking out a new receiver, though I'm not sure 1.3a inputs/output would be crucial to my setup. . . I have an 11-year old Yamaha at the moment, so virtually anything is a big upgrade! First, I'm refoaming my speakers, though! (2 down, 2 to go!)

Don't know what "TAGGED" means for the thread.

orestes

Second Unit
Real Name
Orestes
My current setup includes:

01 - US Ps2 (planning to retire it soon)
02 - JAP Ps2 (it is a keeper)
03 - US Ps3
04 - Xbox 360 with HDDVD addon drive and 120GB HDD
05 - Denon AVR-3300
06 - Toshiba TW40X81, a 40 inch HDTV rear projection07 -
08 - Nintendo Wii
09 - Laptop networked to Xbox 360 with Windows Vista Premium
10 - Set up a punny wired LAN in the apartment
11 - Desktop PC also networked to Xbox 360

Note:
most video connectiions currently connect via componets to the AVR-3300
most audio connections currently using tosklink cables to AVR-3300

So the only thing in my set up now with HDMI 1.3 is the PS3.

Thanks for your info, Elizabeth. I guess I still have a little waiting game to do. However, I am inclined to buy one of the Pioneer Elite AV receivers mentioned in your link when it is widely available.

Wow, the samsung brand seems to have lots of problems reported at the AVS forum. I may even have to wait until next year to see if the dust settle down on all the issues that I have been reading at that other board. Since I do have a PS3, I will not buy a Samsung any time soon.

orestes

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
HDMI 1.3 for a receiver or pre/pro - yes. HDMI 1.3 for a display - not necessary. All versions of HDMI (from 1.0 on up) fully support display resolutions up to and including 1080p and always have. In other words, you can connect an HDMI 1.3 output from a source to an HDMI input on a display that isn't 1.3 (like 1.1 or 1.2) and the picture will be just fine.

The added video parameters on HDMI 1.3 (greater bandwidth and color depth) are something for the long term future and not something that any of today's sets can reproduce or otherwise take advantage of. Besides, there is no software with this greater color depth on the market, nor is any planned at the moment. I'm guessing that it will be 5-10 years before we start seeing such displays - if then.

Don't misunderstand - I fully recommend that your display has HDMI inputs (preferably more than one if you want to avoid switchboxes). If just doesn't have to be HDMI 1.3 because there is no advantage to this on the video end.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks