What's new

Should I try repairing my broken tree? (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Last year 1/3 of my Bradford Pear tree fell off the main trunk, and left me with a nice exposed bit of tree trunk. Should I go get some "tree sap" to cover up the exposed bits or just leave it alone? It's been over 6 months now (and yes, now, I'm finally thinking about doing something about it).

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
Well now, patrick, that tree is like a blind, 20-year-old pet cat with three legs: you feel sentimental about it but you know it's gotta go.
The exposed branch break you never got around to smearing with black gunk has seen its share of infestation of many sorts by now.:frowning:
As the tree grows weaker, the trunk gets girdled just below the surface, interfering with transfer of water and nutrients and production of new cells in the cambrian layer (source:Sunset Western Garden Book).
Replace it and have yourself a May Day dance around the new one.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
How ironic. I just saw a similarly damaged Bradford Pear tree that looked like it was hit by lightning. The owner had nailed some kind of metal/tin sheet over the exposed trunk. It looks totally stupid...and makes me wonder how many lightning strikes it will attract now.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I was greeted with another 1/3 of my Bradford Pear tree now in my yard after some mighty wind and rain all night long and this morning.

So I have to cut up the fallen tree today. I now have only 1/3 of my tree in my front yard. It's only a matter of time for that last bit to get knocked over by strong winds. Sigh...

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
...a time for all things, Patrick.

so start thinking now how you'll unroot it. I'm told there's a root system disintengrator/softener or something, applied into longish holes drilled into the exposed trunk.

Me, I'm waiting for my city street tree crew to return with their trunk auger, after toppling my suffering front yard ornamental a couple weeks ago.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The last of my tree is gone. I had to put it out of its misery, and a kind neighbor brought home a trailer from work, and a chainsaw. There's only a 3 foot tall tree stump in the yard now, and that'll be gone by the weekend. It's weird not having any trees in my yard anymore.

Jenna

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeanette Howard
Patrick, as fast as a Bradford Pear tree grows, just go to Home Depot and get yourself one of the $19.99 ones and replant it! Use the "Soil Conditioner" and you'll see quick results. All of my trees have grown tremendously during the last 3 years!

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks