What's new

Should I go up to the 696 or something else? (1 Viewer)

Greg_Bedard

Agent
I think this may have to do with the Onkyo power issue.
My equipment:
Toshiba 2109 DVD player
Onkyo 595
Home Theater Direct 5.1 set (Combo Y) with two towers. (Not using the sub right now, mains set to large, rest to small — but I would like the surrounds to large).
Bettercables silver serpent s-video and digital coax
Home Depot speaker wire.
My problems:
1.Some DVD dialogue sounds harsh coming out of the center channel. I was watching Glory (the new two-disk edition) and it was driving me crazy (mostly during "at" sounds). But then the next day I watched Pay It Forward and there was none of that. Do some DVDs have poorer sound? Could it be something else. Is it just that the speaker isn't perfect, not a $500 center?
2.And sometimes I get a little crackling (static-like sound) when all five-speakers are going in an intense, loud scene.
Solution?
I think the 595 doesn't have enough to properly power the HTDs and that I'm getting a little amplifier clipping in loud scenes. I mean, these HTDs are big and almost all handle up to 125 watts. I just don't think the 595 can handle these (this newbie may be wrong).
http://store.yahoo.com/htd/levthre51set.htm
Would upgrading to the 696 - or another receiver you would recommend - be advisable?
Any help would be greatly recommended.

Steve T

Stunt Coordinator
Greg,
I had similiar problems with a Denon AVR-1801. I listen to music (including many concert DVDs and DVD-A) more than watch movies, and noticed several symptoms that appeared to be lack of power from the receiver. I found a good deal on a Harman Kardon HK3370 stereo receiver, which has preamp-out and main-in connections. I used the HK to supplement the Denon (connecting the Denon's front L/R preamp out to the HK's main-in) and the result was cleaner, more natural sound for all sources. I use the Denon as a preamp, and to drive the center and surrounds.
I suspect that the lower model Denon and Onkyo receivers just don't have the power to drive all five channels when extra headroom is needed. I do not listen to music/movies at anywhere near reference level, and even then the Denon receiver was straining. My room is approximately 20' x 16'.
If the Onkyo TXDS595 does not have preamp outputs I would go for the 696. You would be stepping up to 100 wpc, and you would be getting preamp outputs to add external amplification down the road (if you so desire). Good luck.

Greg_Bedard

Agent
Yeah, you sound like you had a similiar problem.
I thinking about going with the 696 and then maybe the new Outlaw pre/pro after a year.
You've let me know that I'm not crazy.
That's a good thing.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
Hey.. Boynton Beach.. Got family over there!
Anyway, I think you'd be happy with the 696. Mine shows no hesitation or noise while driving the crap out of my inefficient speakers at high levels. It took The Matrix at near Reference without breaking a sweat.. Too bad you couldn't stick it to Circuit City with their recent $549 boo-boo. Thank you Mr. Internet!!!!
If you have any other questions, feel free to email me.
Matt
------------------
"And I say I'm dead, and I move"....

Paul_Psutka

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry this isn't what you want to hear, but I really don't think the difference in power output between the 75 x 5 rated 595, and the 100 x 5 rated 696 will be very noticeable. approximiately a 1 dB difference.
And the 696 only weighs 2 or 3 lbs more than the 595.
I do think they are the best overall receivers in their price range, however.
And the advantage of the 696 is that you can add an external poweramp.

Greg_Bedard

Agent
Thanks for the input.
Paul, that's what I was afraid someone would say.
What receiver would you guys recommend for LARGE speakers like the HTDs? I would like to stay around the 696 price range but may go a few 100 above it's worth it.
Or should I get the 696 and then get a pre/pro like the new Outlaw in a year or two?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks