What's new

Shopping Hard Drive (1 Viewer)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I'm building a PC and have been looking at storage options.

I'm considering SATA raid 0 as one of my first options since most mobos I've been looking at offer SATA RAID. The SATA drive I most admire is the 36gig WD Raptor as the cost of two of those would go for about $240. They could be used on a mobo like the Abit IC7 or Asus P4C800.

I was also looking at the incredibly fast options such as a seagate Cheetah 15k.3 37gig HD running single on an SCSI card such as the LSI LSI20320. ($450) But then I havn't seen many conventional mobos with a 64bit PCI-X slot. Would there be benefits of having a 64bit PCI slot and not having to use the 32bit PCI? I'd want to have all that insane speed harnessed but don't want a friggen server. :)

Anyone oppose the WD Raptor RAID0? Cause that's what I'm thinking. Anything coming out in next couple of months worth waiting for?

Duane R

Second Unit
I run a RAID 0 Raptor setup on my P4P800, and it's very snappy. Supposedly, the 74GB Raptors are shipping sometime this month--with even faster seek times and command queuing (a SCSI feature). However, the rumor is the price on these drives will be ~$200/ea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks