help a rookie built a PC - please!

Chris

Lead Actor
Reaction score
Yeah, the thing where it does this if you tilt it bothers me a lot. I'm wondering if you have all the mounting screws secured in place.. and to make sure you don't have any stand-offs where there shouldn't be
That's a really common problem I see.

On the P4 boards, try not to use any of the plastic stand-offs, because they won't provide the rigidity needed in order to keep the board level throughout, primarily due to the pressure area created by the CPU heatsink/fan.

Chris

Lead Actor
Reaction score
One other thing.. on my Radeon 9700 Pro AIW, after a while, I discovered stability became much better after buying seperate RAM heatsinks to put on the card..

Eric_L

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Eric
well, I gutted the beast and ran the mobo outside of the box. (thinking out of the box? heh)

At first I had trouble getting the temp to go up because it was so well ventilated. I ended up building a case around it with cardboard.

The temp hit 36C and then shutdown. I guess that rules out the MOBO shorting on the case.

I reinstalled the hardware, added a cannibalized floppy and downloaded memtest86 v3.0 . I removed one of the memory sticks (the one that overheated before) and noticed it had a scorch mark on one of the contacts. I ran memtest on the other stick and it failed on test 5 (block move 64 moves cached) with 6479 errors.

Hmmm. So I removed that stick and inserted the one that had the scorch mark. I ran memtest86 on that and it passed six times!

Right now I have that stick in the case and it is all closed up. The MOBO is holding at 35C for the last 15 minutes. I'm waiting to see if it goes higher or if this is where it is gonna stay. Seems the problem may be uncovered at last. I'm thinking about disabling the one case fan right now just to see how the mobo handles temps above 35C.

Meanwhile, there is the prob with the memory. I'm certain that Corsair owes me a new stick, possibly two. I'll contact NEWEGG and Corsair to see what to do. Meanwhile: if the contact got scored on the stick, I can't help but wonder what the inside of the slot in the mobo looks like?

Since the memory is passing the test right now it may be moot, but I thought I'd ask around. I have to get another good memory stick and then test the second blue slot to see if it was damaged. Trouble is, it may have been without affecting performance - just like the stick. If so I'm not sure what to do... if anything.

whoop, board stepped up to 36C while I was typing.... still running! yay!

Glenn Overholt

Producer
Reaction score
Ok Eric, you can't leave us hanging! Is it still going ok?

Other memory thoughts (on your scorch mark) This is scary. I have to assume that you have had both sticks in both slots, and if the bad chip crapped out while in the 1st slot the board did an emergency transfer to slot 2, and scorched the 2nd slot (with the scorched chip). This may mean that your memory hardwiring (in the motherboard) could be bad, and even if you do get a 2nd good chip, that the memory test may still fail if both chips are in place.

Everthing else sounds ok though, I think?

Glenn

Chris

Lead Actor
Reaction score
I would change both sticks. Where is the scorch mark (I hate to say this, but sometimes we see such a thing when memory is inserted.. forced.. backwards... watch out.. if it looks that way, Corsair will void your warranty under the Physical Damage clause..)

Anyway, good luck, sounds like you're off to a running start we'll hope.

MikeAlletto

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Hmmm...scorched memory. Even if it works I'd try to get both sticks replaced even though the scorched one seems to be working ok it may be slightly damaged in that it'll cause problems down the line.

Max Leung

Producer
Reaction score
With the motherboard out of the case now, can you verify that the heatsink is level with the CPU? The problem you are describing with shutdown at 36C sounds like a classic case of overheating on one side of the CPU where the temperature sensor can't sense.

Unfortunately, the burning you experienced earlier may have compromised the whole system, so it could be the mobo or the CPU that are messed up.

Eric_L

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Eric
Sorry so quiet, had some serious trouble with the network and couldnt get online. Belkin technical help is out-friggin-standing - and an 800# to boot!

The MOBO is operating just fine now that the bad memory is out of it. It's been on over an hour and is holding at a comfortale 40C-41C.

YIPPEE!

I spoke with newegg today and then insist on relacing both memory sticks because this series comes in pairs. In order to avoid downtime they set me up for a complete refund on return (no restocking fee!) and suggested I buy two more sticks now. When the new ones come I will swap them out and return the old ones. Nice of them. Also, I didn't get the other sitck backwards or forced (nearly impossible to do) but there is a slight chance it had dust or a crumb or something on it. Very slight as my work area had a clean sheet thrown over it. No telling what caused it, but it was on one specific copper lead, not spread over any others.

Tonight I'm going to spend some long overdue time with my family and after they are asleep start working on my first very minor yet important project. I will share it - and my gratitude - with you all when it is complete. hopefully by late tomorrow evening.
thanks

Max Leung

Producer
Reaction score
Great Eric! When you get your new RAM, you should go to this website and download Prime95:

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

(Direct link to the program: ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p95v2212.exe )

If you can run Prime95 in system test/benchmark mode for 24 hours, then you can be sure that your system is stable.

Naturally, you'd also want to run 3DMark 2001 for at least 5 hours too.

MikeAlletto

Cinematographer
Reaction score
I'm still kind of concerned about your mb. The memory slot that had the bad memory module in it. You could have damaged the slot as well as the memory module. I'd run the machine for a few hours with the one working stick swapping between both slots just to make sure. You wouldn't want to get your new memory and have the mb have a problem that zaps the new memory also. New Egg probably won't be as nice the 2nd time around.

Eric_L

Cinematographer
Reaction score
Real Name
Eric
Thank you to everyone who helped. If you haven't yet received your private email from me please check your mail soon. Everyone else can click here:

http://view.greetings.yahoo.com/gree...?87DUZDBUKRXE6

I had hoped to make my own html 'thank you' site, but it was taking way too long and not looking too good.

I can't begin to say how much I appreciate everyones help. If you were in my town I'd buy you all a beer. Instead, please just pop one open and think of me!
(or a soda pop)
-Eric

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kanchibrneha