Shelf Systems or HTiB's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Craig Morris, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

A good friend of mine recently lost most of his electronics in a "divorce". He's not an audiophile by any means... but would like an all-in-one system that has DVD and surround capability. I know nothing of all-in-one shelf systems or home-theater-in-a-box systems.
    Any recommendations? The key here is value for the money. Try and keep suggestions under $700US. I doubt I can convince him to even spend $1000CDN, so less is more. [​IMG]
    The only thing I've been looking at so far is the quality of the speakers... if I see a real tweeter and midrange, I would like to believe that the sound quality will be better than those bose-style 'full-range' drivers. Am I wrong?

2. TommyL

TommyL Supporting Actor

gonna be tough to get all that seperately and stay under 700usd...even if you took good speakers, a dvd player, and a receiver..I don't think you could get under that "new"...cheapest receiver I can think of that has dts/DD is about 230 bucks...speakers...hmm..even at 50 bucks a piece x4 =200+ a center...and dvd players...180 will get you a good one for the money(panny rp56)...but there are cheaper ones...than you need stands, cables etc too....I seriously would suggest to him wait, and save a few more $$$, and he'll have a lot better system ...hate waiting? buy it in pieces...hold off of the dvd for now...then he'll have to spend more...but later[​IMG] IF he insists on HTIB, I do think the yamaha yst-23 is a good one for the price...good receiver with dd/dts...I was happy with mine until this forum smacked me up a bit [​IMG] others have a ton more knowledge than me..I took the same road...[​IMG]

3. Brian Burgoyne

Brian Burgoyne Second Unit

Look at www.hometheaterdirect.com for in inexpensive set of speakers. Search the forum to see what other people say about them. They are budget level, but better than theater in a box from chain stores. They even have silk dome tweeters.
    Look for a sale or open box discount at a chain store for a basic receiver. Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Kenwood....others?
    Or maybe somebody else can suggest a good online bargain.
    Should be able to get a decent entry level name brand dvd player for a little over $100. Probably should avoid cheap brands.
    Don't need fancy cables or speaker wire with entry level equipment. Home Depot, Wal-Mart, etc.
    That's a tough spot to be in. I lost all my stuff in a divorce too. But eventually I got even better stuff!

4. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

He can also build up piece by piece as another possible option. Receiver and player now with a set of fronts and a center and then add more later.

Since you live in Canada have a look at PSB speakers-excellent bang for the buck. PSBs paired with an Onkyo 500 would blow any HTIB out of the water and be a great value.

5. Craig Morris

Craig Morris Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice guys. I know I can get Energy/PSB/Dahlquist sets of sats and sub for about $800-900 CDN. Budget $300 for a cheap receiver and $200 for a cheap DVD player... total $1300-1400 CDN. I doubt he will spend that much. I was hoping there would be a cheap all-in-one solution.

6. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Craig, what about the JBL NSP set that some have been getting for around