What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Shazam (1 Viewer)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Don Giro said:
Got mine today, and happy to say, they're pressed discs! I always knew the show was "cheesy," but I overlooked it because I was (am) a huge Captain Marvel fan. It's nice to have these discs in my collection. I still say Michael Gray was ten years too old to play Billy Batson (and doesn't appear to have a neck), and that Jackson Bostwick has a southern twang to his voice that really takes away from the character.
Good to hear, Don Giro! My order from Warner Archive should be arriving Monday or Tuesday. Darby

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
My order arrived today and they are pressed discs! I saw the show when it first ran and I am thoroughly enjoying reliving those childhood memories. Darby

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I have watch many of the episodes and they have clean up the images very nicely. The only sad thing is the quality of the moral statements at the end of the show are original and look very cloudy. The other thing is like our clothes, bikes, etc as they take me back when i was a kid in 1970s. I remember the banana bike seats, 5/10 speed bikes, etc. So, it is good watching these shows to look at the past to see how simpler life was back in the 1970s. I still think the moral messages are still relevant today.!! It is just too bad they do not make the shows like Shazam any more!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am curious to know whether or not the show was filmed in Reseda, Malibu State Park, Hollywood Hills, etc. Would the aforementioned statement be correct?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
younger1968 said:
I have watch many of the episodes and they have clean up the images very nicely. The only sad thing is the quality of the moral statements at the end of the show are original and look very cloudy. !
Are you referring to the skylooking cloudy, or the picture quality? The reason I ask is that in the first season (episodes 1-15), all those morals were shot on the same day and it was raining at the time, so "cloudy" would be right! If, on the other hand, you're referring to picture quality, bear in mind that Warner Bros. were only able to find original film elements for the season 2 morals. All of the season 1 and season 3 morals had to be sourced from off-air VHS tapes that were recorded way back in 1980, on some of the earliest VCRs, and given the technology (remember, HQ hadn't even been invented for VHS by then), the likelihood of the person recording using LP instead of SP, the likelihood that CBS was using dirty/battered 16mm prints, and the likelihood that the off-air reception wasn't perfect anyway, all work against the picture quality. That being said, those morals look quite good, considering the source, and WB are to be commended for including them (and the option to play them from within the episode), because if it weren't for super-fans fighting for them, those morals could very well have been left out entirely, or gotten restricted to bonus features only (like BCI did with Isis).

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
AndyMcKinney said:
Are you referring to the skylooking cloudy, or the picture quality? The reason I ask is that in the first season (episodes 1-15), all those morals were shot on the same day and it was raining at the time, so "cloudy" would be right! If, on the other hand, you're referring to picture quality, bear in mind that Warner Bros. were only able to find original film elements for the season 2 morals. All of the season 1 and season 3 morals had to be sourced from off-air VHS tapes that were recorded way back in 1980, on some of the earliest VCRs, and given the technology (remember, HQ hadn't even been invented for VHS by then), the likelihood of the person recording using LP instead of SP, the likelihood that CBS was using dirty/battered 16mm prints, and the likelihood that the off-air reception wasn't perfect anyway, all work against the picture quality. That being said, those morals look quite good, considering the source, and WB are to be commended for including them (and the option to play them from within the episode), because if it weren't for super-fans fighting for them, those morals could very well have been left out entirely, or gotten restricted to bonus features only (like BCI did with Isis).
Yes, the moral statements at the end our of poor quality. However, based on what you said it is nice they were able to include them as i believe they add value to the set, especially completeness. I have an issue with my S3 and notified the amazon.com the issue and they are sending me a replacement copy. It is nice gesture by them. The basically said you can keep the original one or throw it away they do not care. I guess it is not worth their time and effort to send them back.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
AndyMcKinney said:
All of the season 1 and season 3 morals had to be sourced from off-air VHS tapes that were recorded way back in 1980, on some of the earliest VCRs, and given the technology (remember, HQ hadn't even been invented for VHS by then), the likelihood of the person recording using LP instead of SP, the likelihood that CBS was using dirty/battered 16mm prints, and the likelihood that the off-air reception wasn't perfect anyway, all work against the picture quality..
But did they make an effort to find the best possible quality on these - to track them back to as close to the off-air source as possible, or just grab what they could get?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
DeWilson said:
But did they make an effort to find the best possible quality on these - to track them back to as close to the off-air source as possible, or just grab what they could get?
I know for a fact that they sought out copies from multiple sources and used the best that turned up. As far as to why the morals were missing on the film prints in the first place, it isn't known if Filmation even handed them over "back in the day". All the paperwork that was supposed to be with the 16mm masters (vintage transfer paperwork) was missing, or not filled out at all. What I don't know is how long they searched before turning to the fan collectors for VHS copies, but my guess is they were hoping to find 16mm films, and when none turned up, went to the collectors. Again, I can't stress how much we should be appreciative of the efforts of a select group of super-fans, and WB insiders. I'm pretty sure we were very close to not having season 1 and 3 morals at all, not even as special features, because of fears about picture quality complaints. These are probably the "masters issues" WB had with the title when fans kept asking them in one of the old HTF chats whether it would get released or not (this was several years back, way before the Warner Archive project was started).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
AndyMcKinney said:
That being said, those morals look quite good, considering the source, and WB are to be commended for including them (and the option to play them from within the episode), because if it weren't for super-fans fighting for them, those morals could very well have been left out entirely, or gotten restricted to bonus features only (like BCI did with Isis).
I agree, having the option to play them in the episode is a lot better. It was frustrating that the same was not true of the surviving Isis morals which is why I actually re-edited the episodes to include them for my own viewing copies.

Ron Lee Green

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney
Again, I can't stress how much we should be appreciative of the efforts of a select group of super-fans, and WB insiders. I'm pretty sure we were very close to not having season 1 and 3 morals at all, not even as special features, because of fears about picture quality complaints.
I'm also glad that they included them.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Paul Hamerlinck (one of the best-known Captain Marvel fans out there, who runs the FCA website and has published many books on the Marvels) deserves a big round of applause, too. I think he was one of the "loudest" voices out there in the fan community and I think his perseverance did a lot to catch the ear of Warner Archives.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
AndyMcKinney said:
I know for a fact that they sought out copies from multiple sources and used the best that turned up.
Doesn't mean they were the best out there - just the best they could find. :)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
But the bottom line is we do have the morals included in the set and, let's be honest, the fact that the complete series of Shazam was released (and on pressed discs if you order the exclusive cover art version from Warner Archives) is a minor miracle itself. It sure beats not having it at all. Darby

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Darby67 said:
But the bottom line is we do have the morals included in the set and, let's be honest, the fact that the complete series of Shazam was released (and on pressed discs if you order the exclusive cover art version from Warner Archives) is a minor miracle itself. It sure beats not having it at all. Darby
Amen!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
DeWilson said:
Doesn't mean they were the best out there - just the best they could find. :)
Well, yes, but of course, if you can't find it, you can't use it! I know there have been various 16mm prints of Isis and Shazam doing the rounds with film collectors, but as the print publication Big Reel died off, I never saw ads for that kind of stuff like I used to (and let's face it, most film collectors are buying/selling movies rather than TV shows, anyway).

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I was wondering since some time has passed now, how the DVD was received. Is there anyway to know if the DVD set was a successful venture for Warner Bros? I still enjoy watching it to this day. My grandson is crazy about it. So much so I had to order another set of discs for fear of losing the picture quality from playing them so much. Of course I ordered the special edition cover version again. (;

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I picked up a copy of this fine DVD set just days away from XMAS last year, as WAC had a special final days of XMAS sale at, IIRC, 25% off. I also picked up Harry O S1 on the same sale as well. I am s very glad that I did. I used to watch Shazam! a lot when I was a child back in the md-1970s. Upon watching the series again this past summer, I suddenly remembered how much I liked about this program. Oh, what memories it brought back from that time.Now, if I can only find a copy of Secrets of Isis TCS that's not so expensive!!! I found that program rather empowering for a girl back in that particular decade.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Tina_H_V said:
I picked up a copy of this fine DVD set just days away from XMAS last year, as WAC had a special final days of XMAS sale at, IIRC, 25% off. I also picked up Harry O S1 on the same sale as well. I am s very glad that I did. I used to watch Shazam! a lot when I was a child back in the md-1970s. Upon watching the series again this past summer, I suddenly remembered how much I liked about this program. Oh, what memories it brought back from that time.Now, if I can only find a copy of Secrets of Isis TCS that's not so expensive!!! I found that program rather empowering for a girl back in that particular decade.
Tina:

i do hope you find an affordable copy of the complete series release of the Secrets of Isis. I preordered it from Amazon as soon as it was available and having Isis and Shazam in my DVD collection has brought back some wonderful childhood memories.

Darby

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I took a look at what this series cost on "The Big River" and all I can say is OUCH! I'm Glad I got my copy while the getting was good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks