What's new

Shazam (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Classic44 said:
I noticed they never gave a name to the communication device in their RV that alerted Billy when the Elders needed to speak with him. Did it officially have a name? And I'm curious what was it made of? It looks like half a bowling ball with lights drilled into it.
Given a 1970s Filmation's production budget, it wouldn't surprise me if your guess turned out to be true!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
AndyMcKinney said:
Given a 1970s Filmation's production budget, it wouldn't surprise me if your guess turned out to be true!
They could purchase the simon says game as it had the lights as well, lol!

gordoncolt

Agent
Real Name
gordon
I have watched the first disc and and noticed that episodes with the morals are about 22 minutes each.I thought episodes from this era
ran 24-25 minutes.The colors are a lot more vivid than I have ever seen them.I like this set and they are pressed dvds.

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
gordoncolt said:
I have watched the first disc and and noticed that episodes with the morals are about 22 minutes each.I thought episodes from this era ran 24-25 minutes.The colors are a lot more vivid than I have ever seen them.I like this set and they are pressed dvds.
Prime time half hour shows from this era ran 25 minutes. Saturday morning half hour shows from this era varied between 22-25 minutes.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
gordoncolt said:
I have watched the first disc and and noticed that episodes with the morals are about 22 minutes each.I thought episodes from this era
ran 24-25 minutes.The colors are a lot more vivid than I have ever seen them.I like this set and they are pressed dvds.
As Tom said, Saturday morning shows had shorter run-times. More commercials/promos, etc. to squeeze in.
The Shazam! episodes are uncut. One thing that did vary from showing to showing, though, was the length of the end credits. Various broadcasts of the show had different "short" end credits and "long" end credits, which varied from episode-to-episode (and also varied from presentation: one episode I saw had a "long" end credits on CBS and a "short" version on the TV Land/DVD presentation). About the only difference is that the "long" version (as seen on the Season 3 episodes of the DVD set) have an extended version of the theme music, playing out over video of the winnebago which continues (textless) after the "Filmation" vanity card, which makes it about 20-30 seconds longer, in my estimation.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Saturday Morning Shows did indeed have more commercials than "Adult" Shows. The FCC actually stepped in and passed a regulation LIMITING the number of commercials a children's show could have. Too bad they couldn't do this for all TV shows. :f

derosa

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Grant
gordoncolt said:
ran 24-25 minutes.
Saturday morning examples of shows I have on DVD from the era seem to vary a bit in length from 21:45 to about 23:30.
Bumpers going to and from commericals could add another 30 seconds, and some shows left room for things like the
abc schoolhouse rock, or the cbs "in the news" segments.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
derosa said:
Saturday morning examples of shows I have on DVD from the era seem to vary a bit in length from 21:45 to about 23:30.
Bumpers going to and from commericals could add another 30 seconds, and some shows left room for things like the
That stands to reason. Ark II for example had a similar running time too. I remember there were various cartoon fillers with these shows when originally broadcasted also to bridge the hour slot as part of The Shazam!/Isis Hour, either before or after the episodes.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
derosa said:
Shazam/Isis, Ark II, etc. certainly left room for the "In the News" fillers at the ends of episodes. I have one such vintage airing (can't remember which of the live-action Filmation shows it was on) that contained an "In the News" at the end. Those info-pieces were a couple minutes each, as I recall.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
derosa said:
Those segments were added in the early 1970s, I believe as a response by the networks to "Do Gooder" Groups like Action for Children's Television, :f who began complaining about Children's Shows '"Lacking Educational Value" among other things. Eventually they would succeed in bring about those 'EI" Shows you see these days. Every time I see a "Classic" Children's Show (1960s/1970s IMO) Available on DVD I just about jump for joy. If anyone has Children or Grandchildren I HIGHLY recommend getting these DVDs for them, and since were coming up on the Holidays what better time is there to get them? Show em what REAL Kids Shows looked like! :cool:

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I've started watching my set (I had a few other sets in line ahead of it so it's taken me a bit to get to it). I'm amazed at how well the show holds up after all this time. Yes, the special effects are a bit cheesy, but the show doesn't talk down to kids. It actually talks to them. It's not preachy or heavy handed. It delivers its message in an even handed manner, but in a simple method easily accessable to children. The acting is top notch for a Saturday Morning kids show. Jackson Bostwick's performance as Captain Marvel is genuine and sincere (kind of reminds me of how Linda Carter approached her portrail of Wonder Woman). I'm pretty excited about seeing the rest of the show. I didn't watch it often when it was originally on. I watched Isis more. I don't know. Maybe I thought it was a better show. Who knows? I do have very fond memories of both shows. When I finish with Shazam I'm going to rewatch Isis.

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
I've really enjoyed revisiting this show as well. It's so refreshing to watch a series in which there isn't even the slightest trace of snark in the way characters interact with each other. I don't think I"d like all of my TV viewing to be that way, but it certainly makes for a nice change from what's on now.
I've also been paying attention to some of the street signs and locations - I may make a quick side trip to some of them on my next drive to L.A., as one of the areas they're in often is just off the 210. It will be interesting to see how the areas have changed since the 1970s.

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I have to admit this show represents one of those rare moments when my memory deceives me and it turns out to be BETTER than what I remember. After watching the whole series through, I think the shows with the replacement actor, John Davey, catered much to those memories. Perhaps because he was the last one I saw portray Captain Marvel? Not sure. But everything with Jackson Bostwick is excellent. I think he took on the role in a similar way that Clayton Moore portrayed the Lone Ranger - straight, honest, and doesn't mince words. And I agree as so many others have said. The show does not talk down to kids. If anything it respects their intelligence and uses some really descent scenarios to show how easy it is to make a mistake. It's a smart show. Too bad nothing exists like that today. My grandson is watching this and LOVES IT! There is hope yet.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Classic44 said:
I have to admit this show represents one of those rare moments when my memory deceives me and it turns out to be BETTER than what I remember. After watching the whole series through, I think the shows with the replacement actor, John Davey, catered much to those memories. Perhaps because he was the last one I saw portray Captain Marvel? Not sure. But everything with Jackson Bostwick is excellent. I think he took on the role in a similar way that Clayton Moore portrayed the Lone Ranger - straight, honest, and doesn't mince words. And I agree as so many others have said. The show does not talk down to kids. If anything it respects their intelligence and uses some really descent scenarios to show how easy it is to make a mistake. It's a smart show. Too bad nothing exists like that today. My grandson is watching this and LOVES IT! There is hope yet.
I totally agree with you about shows like Shazam and what they did for kids. You could also add in time for timer and/or Schoolhouse rock, which meant learning about grammar, history, nutrition, anatomy fun. I still remember making sunshine on a stick and/or wagon wheel.
It is nothing against the kids today as things have change significantly in the household, like internet or gadgets or double income parents or lack of physical activity, etc. I think educating kids still comes from the parents. If the parents felt shows of the past or what they grew up with would be good for kids then they would introduced them to those shows. We should not paint all kids as being disinterested as that would be wrong!!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
DaveHof said:
I've really enjoyed revisiting this show as well. It's so refreshing to watch a series in which there isn't even the slightest trace of snark in the way characters interact with each other. I don't think I"d like all of my TV viewing to be that way, but it certainly makes for a nice change from what's on now.
It is refreshing to see. I'm not saying the world was a perfect place in the early/mid 70's. But doggone, this show would certainly have you believe they were. Some people claim live action shows like this are campy, or corny but I'd take a show like this anyday over many of the current tv shows that are hateful, snarky, loaded with so much real world gloom, and doom.
If you want to escape in the ficticious world of tv, why not escape to a world where people are nice, conflicts are resolved peacefully, and the bad guys are usually the ones that learn a lesson in hopes of changing.
Shazam is the zenith of feel good escapist entertainment.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
It's so good to see such positive reviews here. :)
I have fond memories of watching the Shazam/Isis Hour on Saturday mornings as a kiddie in the 70's. Saturday mornings have never been the same since!
However, with these dvd releases, one can still pretend it's the 70's all over again. :D

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I finished the series a few days ago. It is interesting that the morals segments were intact for season 2 but for seasons 1 & 3 they had to find alternative sources. I just wish that all of the morals segments had been located for Isis. Funny how the 13 Isis morals that were found are in much better condition than most of the Shazam morals segments.
I also finished Isis again and having recently seen both series again, I really enjoyed them. I'm so glad that Shazam is finally available. I just wish good quality shows like this were still on Saturday Mornings.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
To those who haven't bitten yet, it's now marked $25% off at the Warner Archive Shop, PLUS they're offering free shipping and by using the coupon code SAVE5, you can knock another $5.00 off the price, getting it down to $21.21 (at least, for the 'exclusive cover art' variant).
I've ordered a second copy just now (to salt away and maybe sell-off in a few years after all the pressed copies are gone, or to keep as a back-up).

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I tried the coupon code but it didn't work. Still thinking about getting a second copy. My grand son is burning my first copy up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks