What's new

Shawshank Redemption. What an impact!!! (1 Viewer)

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
After hearing so much about this film, and how it's better then The Green Mile, I went out and bought it. WOW! What a masterpiece! These reviews were spot on.

Seeing the old man from the library fall apart when he was released from prison, and the ending, when Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman embraced on the beach each brought a tear to my eye.

Dean

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator
The whole "band-aid on the neck" thing has pretty much been disputed over the years. The band-aid was actually there to cover a tattoo, I believe. The text commentary on the new "Pulp Fiction" SE says as much.

I like the idea that the briefcase contained something LIKE a soul, but I don't really care what it is.

Others have theorized that the diamonds from "Reservoir Dogs" are in the case.

I don't have anything significant to say about SR. I'm glad that so many people love it as much as they do.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I bought PF thinking it would be such a great film - what a disappointment.
The Bruce Willis 'plot' was the only part that had any coherency to it. Most of the other parts I kept thinking 'so what'? What characters are there that I should care about? What socially redeeming qualities are there?
The Samuel L Jackson character is so warped he thinks God intervened in a hit??
Geeeeeez.... :rolleyes
How can this film remotely belong in the same discussion as SR?
Ok, let the flames fly... :)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Louis - I'm with ya on this. I saw Pulp Fiction years ago, when it first came out on VHS, as a rental. I thought it was OK but nothing to brag about. I just don't get why so many people idolize this movie. Just to each his own, eh.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
How can this film remotely belong in the same discussion as SR?
I can think of one reason.
Both nominated for Best Pix, Best Actor, Best Screenplay (different catagories, Pulp won, SR didn't), Editing
Pulp also had noms for Supporting Actor and Actress, Best Director.
SR had noms for Sound, Score, and Cinematography.
Pulp also won at Cannes for Best Film, along with winning or being highly recognized by NY, LA, Boston film critics, Golden Globes, and the BAFTAs. And a spot on the AFI top 100.
I think I will go with all those other folks in saying that Pulp Fiction deserves as much or more recognition than Shawshank Redemption. At the very least they may be spoken about in the same breath I would think.
As for how they relate in terms of themes, I already covered that from my point of view.
On to something more sensible. Dome, you are right about that. Besides the big 3, we also had Quiz Show, Lion King, 4 Weddings, Ed Wood, Bullets Over Broadway, Speed, Clear and Present Danger. Interview with a Vampire and Maverick are both films I personally enjoy a lot too.
And we had Three Colors: Red and a little film by some dude named Peter Jackson called Heavenly Creatures.
Certainly there have been worse years for film. ;)
My memory was desperately waiting to see the follow-up work from QT after having been blown away be R.Dogs already and knowing that it had won the Palm D'Or at Cannes. That was my most anticipated movie since T2 at that point, as well as several of my friends. Pulp was an opening night must see, and for all of us it delivered more than we could hope for (also like T2 did).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks