Shawshank Redemption. What an impact!!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael_UK, Dec 25, 2001.

1. Michael_UK

Michael_UK Stunt Coordinator

I just watched SR after so many people told my that it was so good.

Oh My God This film realy made an impact on me it really blew me away both emotionaly and EPIC film wise, It relly made me think on how really lucky our lives are and that we take so many things for granted.

I just can't get the musical score out of my mind, I thourght it was very good, Particuly the scene neer the start in which new convicts are about to enter the compound the camera flys over and circles the Prison with the inmates in side, the music here is very well placed and powerfull.

What do you think of the film?

2. WilliamJulien

Great film about the human spirit. You should also watch The Green Mile. Also by Steven King and very similar but at the same time quite deferent.

3. Blu

Blu Screenwriter

SR was one of the first movies I bought on DVD. I can watch it anytime and never tire of it.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    I think it was light years better than The Green Mile. Great film.

5. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

6. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    Shawshank Redemption is one of my absolute all time favorite films. In my opinion it deserved the best film award over Forrest Gump that year.

Sanjay

Member since 1997

7. todd stone

todd stone Screenwriter

It's a classic, plain and simple.

8. GlenH

GlenH Stunt Coordinator

Shawshank Redemption was based on a story called Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption which was one of the 4 novellas written by Stephen King in his Different Seasons anthology. The other well known story was The Body which was adapted into the movie Stand By Me. There is another story called Apt Pupil which was also recently adapted into a movie. I can't recall what the 4th story was.

Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me were very faithful movie adaptations of Stephen King's stories. Unfortunately, because the horror movies based on Stephen King's works are VERY POOR adapatations with very little in common with his books, many people do not realize what a great writer he actually is. If you read his horror novels - especially the earlier books - most of his horror stories are as poigniant and deep as Shashank Redemption and Stand By Me.

Glen

9. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Stephen King is one of my favorite authors and Shawshank could be my favorite movie as well. I agree here with almost every other post. Shawshank BLOWS AWAY Green Mile for emotional impact, uplifting spirit and general moviemaking craftsmanship. I just thought it was an absolute classic from frame 1 till the end. For some reason, Andy Dufresne seems to be the "everyman" and there isn't a person on earth who can't relate to his predicament. Him besting the warden in the fashion he did is simply awesome.

I agree with the comments regarding Stephen King the writer. I tell my friends what wonderful stories he tells in his books and everyone looks at me with three eyes. I tell them about classics like The Stand, The Talisman and even the new Black House. People only associate him with The Shining or Salems Lot and think he's strictly a horror writer. He's one of the most diverse writers I know. For some reason if you are a "horror writer" people paint you into a corner, but if you write simply about Lawyers on the run (Grisham), you are lauded and praised. Really ridiculous if you think about it.

10. Voon Jiet

Voon Jiet Stunt Coordinator

Voon
    Shawshank Redemption is one of my favourite films. In fact, IMO its probably the best 'triumph of the human spirit' film out there. Check the IMDB Top 250 list, Shawshank it consistently right up there among the top 5.

Its only a decent DVD, but its an awesome movie!

11. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

12. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

Glad to see some more fans! The first time I saw Shawshank is still one of the most memorible experiences with a film I've ever had.

I can also watch it infinitely without growing tired of it.

13. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

14. Robert G

Robert G Stunt Coordinator

I love The Green Mile but as movies go I can agree with the others that it doesn't hold a candle to SR. SR moves me more with each viewing. The only thing that I can say for the Green Mile is that it makes me laugh more each time. Some of the lines are just flat out hillarious IMHO.

15. Keith Enright

Keith Enright Auditioning

Stephen King IS my favorite author and I am never embarrassed to admit it. I have personally converted 3 new fans over the last few months by having them read "Bag of Bones" and "Hearts in Atlantis." Now they are going through the entire back catalog and loving MOST every minute of it. His storytelling ability is nothing short of amazing and yes he does write a lot of different types of fiction. I do believe there is a groundswell these days that is helping him move away from the "Schlockmeister" tag he has had for years (and which in some cases he self-applied.)

The reason that movies such as Stand By Me, Misery, The Dead Zone, Delores Claiborne, Shawshank, and even the Green Mile work so well is because the STORY is allowed to be at the forefront. So many times a Stephen King movie is made and all you get is the boogeyman. Well, hell, that's the boring part. The boogeyman is the catalyst FOR the story, not the story itself. It's all about character development. People like Darabont, Reiner, Cronenberg and especially Castle Rock Productions itself have figured that out and that is why their adaptions are usually so damn good.

"Compared to the dullest human being actually walking about on the face of the earth and casting his shadow there, the most brilliantly drawn character in a novel is but a bag of bones."

Methinks the same could be said about a character making the transition from novel to film.

Keith

16. GlenH

GlenH Stunt Coordinator

That's the ironic thing about Stephen King. The vast majority of people who hear his name associate hiim with the horror movies. However, if they read the books those movies are based on, they will find that the horror aspect is takes a secondary role to rich and complex stories with non-horror themes.

For instance, his most famous book/movie The Shining (sp?) is not about a crazy ax murderer (in fact, the writer does not even wield an ax, but rather a large croquette mallet), but rather, the story is about alcoholism and a boy's love for his father.

I just wish that the movies based on Stephen King's "horror" novels were as accurately adapted as the movie adaptations of his non-horror works (Shawshank Redemption and Stand By Me).

Glen

17. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

When I first heard the name "The Shawshank Redemption" I was thiking of a native american movie. Then when I saw it, I was blown away at the movies pure AWESOME-NESS. It is one of my three favorite movies, which have no particular order to them. I could watch this movie 100 times and never get tired of it. One of the first DVDs I bought and one of the most watched.

Also, i agree that it kills The Green Mile.

Later

18. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    This thread warms my heart. My favorite film, written by my favorite author.
    A True Classic in every sense of the word.

19. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

For me (another SK fan) the story is also about Red, and how he finds hope through Andy. It's definitely more obvious in the book, but I thought Frank Darabont did a wonderful job of bringing the short story to the screen. For those who haven't, try watching the movie again with that in mind: The Story of Red who Finds Hope Through Andy. It will be a rewarding experience. Even if you don't agree that it is, you will at least see it through a different set of eyes. This movie cannot be watched enough (and apparently TNT thinks so too because it seems to be on every other week).
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. David_Li

David_Li Auditioning

Excellent movie and I own it on DVD. I actually read the short story first in a Stephen King collection. I saw it when it first came to video which was around the same time I was still in high school. The movie definitely made me stop and think about life and people a bit. It's one of those rare movies that makes you reflect about your existence which means the movie does work. The funny thing is I had no idea Stephen King even had plans to let someone make an adaptation of this story. I read it a few years before it was made into a movie so I went into the movie not realizing what it was about or based on. While watching it the first time I said to myself "gee, this story SURE is familiar [​IMG]" and it wasn't until about mid-way through that I realized it WAS a Stephen King adaptation.
    I also agree with what Glen said..a lot of Stephen King's stories seem to use horror as a device to drive the story along. However, the real meat and bones are the characters in the story. One of my all time favorite King novels IT makes me nostalgic about my own childhood friends. He taps right into the heart of things...