Shawshank delay

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Lee_eel, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Lee_eel

Lee_eel Second Unit

Does anyone know of a planned release for this movie in 2003 please? I own the original region 2 disc which in all honesty is poor to say the least. Why can't studios re-release titles that they messed up with in the first place. Shawshank is a class film and deserves a class transfer and some decent extras. (i would settle for a suberbit like transfer with no extras though)

2. Mark*Will

Mark*Will Auditioning

Agreed. I have this on my "waiting to buy" list, but only when/if it's released as a special edition.

3. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

4. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

I too am in the group that thinks this may be the last and only iteration of this film on DVD. Mr. Darabont isn't a fan of extras as Colin says, and the current DVD is a good anamorphic transfer of the film. It stands up to current releases, and isn't like one of the "first 50" that Warner had that have now been exposed as poor transfers (but were fine by 1997 standards).

Between HTF, File and Bits, someone would probably have broken the news on a 10 year anniversary version if one was in the works, and so far not a word.

5. Glenn_Jn

Glenn_Jn Stunt Coordinator

I just watched this on HDTV a couple of days ago. It looked REALLY nice.

6. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

Isn't there a Japanese edition with DTS?

Gordy

7. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Is the current one Anamorphic? I forget.

8. Tommy G

Tommy G Screenwriter

Yes it is. I am also one who thinks the transfer is pretty darn good. I watched it not too long ago.

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    My stepfather has the DVD and it looks excellent. The colors are subdued, but that's how the film is supposed to look. Of course, it's 1.78:1 anamorphic and has Dolby Digital 5.1.

10. Haden

Haden Supporting Actor

I want one with seamless branching featuring the extended cut that has been show on Cinemax and Showtime in the past. It has 30+ additional minutes of great character development scenes. I've never seen it myself, but would love to, even if those additional scenes were only included seperately on the DVD as extras.

11. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Until the DVD can stand up, slap me on the ass, and scream "Grab yer dance shoes, Betty!!", I'm gonna wait for that Special Edition.

I really wish studios would get it right the first time.

12. Joshua Moran

Joshua Moran Supporting Actor

Matthew Warner Bros. Held this DVD for 2 years before bringing it out. The director hates extras. We will probably never see a Special Edition of this film. Unless something changes in the contract or copyrights.

13. Carlo Medina

14. Glenn_Jn

Well there was a documentary made by Channel 4 in the UK, called Shawshank: The Redeeming Feature, hosted by Mark Kermode (who also did the one on the old Exorcist DVD and the excellent doc for Blade Runner which should be on the new SE). They could include this. While I agree that the present DVD is alright I think it still deserves the SE treatment that other WB films have received lately. I don't see what Frank Darabont's opinion about DVD has to do with it. If they were going to change the movie in some way I could see why he might get upset. But if it's just a matter of remastering and adding a few extras what does it matter to him. If he doesn't want to do a commentary, fine I don't see any problem with that (I doubt I'd ever listened to it anyway) A Morgan Freeman/Tim Robbins commentary would be better anyway.
    I think that with the kind of reverence that is bestowed on this movie, from both critics and the public, a SE is inevitable at some point in the future

15. Brett_B

Brett_B Supporting Actor
    Supporter

16. Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma Producer

Lou Sytsma
    Yep a great looking and sounding disc! To wait for an SE which is tenuous at best - when there is a perfectly good presentation of the movie already available is to deny yourself the opportunity to view this at your leisure whenever you so desire.

Plus it's goes for around $15 nowadays.

17. Carlo Medina

18. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Umm guys.... I was being more than a little sarcastic.

"Get your dance shoes, Betty"...? Come on!! [​IMG]

19. Glenn_Jn

So Frank Darabont thinks that having extras on a DVD is "akin to a magician giving away his secrets" Well hello Frank!!! the movie industry has been giving away it's "secrets" for decades. We know all the secrets already. If he really does feel this way then why did he participate in the Channel 4 documentary about the movie? I don't mind going on TV and giving away my secrets I just don't want them on the DVD ???
    As for waiting for the SE, I'm not. I have the current R2 disc which has both the fullframe and anamorphic widescreen versions. Neither of which I would classify as outstanding. I haven't seen the R1 version so I can't comment on it, but unless they used a much better element or did some restoration I can't see it being much better. I guess some peoples standards are higher than others.

20. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch