Sharpness levels - Video Essentials Vs Avia

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason_Solack, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Jason_Solack

Jason_Solack Extra

I just bought Video Essentials and went through setting up the video. I noticed that the sharpness level is really low when setting it up according to Video Essentials. Small text on my DVDs seems blurry and when I increase the sharpness they clear up and become defined.
    I have heard from other people who own the Avia disk that after going through the Video Essentials set up and then going through the Avia settings they found Avia had the sharpness levels significantly increased...
    So here's my question, for those of you with both Video Essentials and Avia, is there a difference? Should I leave my sharpness levels down and have the "fuzzy" text or should I raise it until the small text becomes clear?
    Thanks a lot for your input!!!
    ------------------
    Jason Solack
    My DVD Collection

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Jason, I just made an earlier post this morning on how I set sharpness using the Avia pattern. You can take a look at that. I'd say that you want to raise sharpness until text looks clear and crisply defined but before ghosting of the edges of objects takes place. The Avia pattern will show this very clearly.
    cheers,
    --tom

3. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Hi,
    I have both VE and Avia, and found Avia's sharpness setting to be more pleasing - Definately higher than VE's. I believe Avia's is more accurate.
    -Ryan Dinan
    ------------------
    [​IMG]