What's new

Sharp LC32GD4U vs. LCGA5U? (1 Viewer)

StephanieM

Grip
Hi! I'm rushing out after work today to buy my husband an LCD tv for Christmas and am torn between 2 sharp models. The LC32GD4U has the HDTV tuner built in while the 32GA5U does not have the tuner. The difference in price is about $600. I had been dead set on getting the LC32GD4U but then I read a couple reviews on Amazon and others where consumers have noted that getting the tuner built in is not really cost effective since some HDTV services provide a tuner. At our home, we have IO (Intereactive Optimum by Cablevision).

Any advice on which would be the better purchase would be greatly appreciated. Or if there are any other discernible differences worth mentioning (i.e. GD4U has detachable speakers but GA5U does not). Thanks in advance for the help!

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Stephanie, buying a TV with a built-in tuner is a waste of money. You can only pick up your local channels with it.
If you have HD cable or HD satellite, you'll need their box anyway. Save the money and buy the one without the tuner.

StephanieM

Grip
Ok, so the 32GD4U is not coming in until a week or two more. Thanks for the reply. Another follow-up question if you don't mind. The 32GD4U comes with the cable card slot. A friend of mine mentioned to me that this is the way of the future, where all tvs will have this feature built in, removing the need to have a cable box since all you will have to do is insert the card. So of course, my next question is if the cable card feature is that important. Thanks for any help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks