What's new

Shaky knees on new HDTV purchase (please help) (1 Viewer)

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Hey all,
I have come along way in the past motnh or so in finalizing a desicion to make a HDTV purchase. I have settled on the Hitachi 53UWX10BA widescreen set. This, to me, seems the right compromise for my financial situation right now.
I got a couple of questions:
1) Is $2200 a good price for this set?. That is the lowest my local B&M will go. Is there a internet dealer that can go lower without killing me on shipping fees?.
2) Do any of you typically buy the extended warranties offered by the B&M's?. They are going three years for 150 dollars. What are some of the coverage things that must be there in order for my $150 to be well spent?.
3) Am I nuts for doing this?. I don't have 2200+ dollars laying around. Won't my 27inch Trinitron be good for a couple more years ;)
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Michael

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
Don't know about the price, but it should be easy to check through sites like www.dealtime.com. Usually when you buy a TV from an Internet site is is NOT returnable, no matter what. Check the fine print!
Don't know about the extended warranty.
As for being nuts, yes, you are nuts, but all of us here are nuts, so your particular affliction doesn't seem especially severe. To us.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Thanks Marc. They didn't have the 53UWX10BA there. According to some of the prices paid listed on the feedback section of the Circuit City website, $2200 doesn't sound all that bad.

Michael.

Kevin_Kr

Supporting Actor
Michael what store are you dealing with i can beat that for you if you like. Email me if you would like to talk.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Sorry to bump this folks but I am still in need of some input. I am ready to plunk the money down this week and I am wondering if there are any sets in the $2000 dollar range that I have missed?.

I have my mind mostly set on the Hitachi but I would be willing to consider other sets around the 50 inch size.

As well, does anybody else have any other online retailers that they can reference for me?. I am having a tough time beating the B & M price on the Hitachi set.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Michael.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
I dunno about the states, but up here in canuckland, the Toshiba 50H81 is selling for $3,100CAD, which is about $2000 USD.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,

In that price range I would look hard at the Pioneer 53" unit. The TV retail usually for about $3000, but if you talk to onecall.com you may find that you end up close to the price of the Hitachi. Good luck.

Lou_S

Auditioning
$2,200 is an excellent price for this set. I'm also looking to buy this set and I can't come near that price locally, or on the net for that matter.

Lou

Ed Nag

Auditioning
Just bought 1 a week ago for about the same price (actually I think a few hundred dollars more). I wouldn't buy over the internet though unless there is a good return policy. I bought mine a Circuit City which gives a 30 grace period. Still deciding on whether to keep it or not because my cable picture is not too great. On the other hand, brightness and color are fabulous.

Michael Silla

Second Unit
Ed,

My Cable picture is much better than expected. I have had the TV for 3 weeks now and I am basically satisfied with it. I haven't been annoyed with any obvious "lines" or grain in the picture. I usually watch things in "smooth wide" aspect mode although when watching newscasts I tend to watch in "normal" because of the annoyance of the "funhouse" effect.

This week I saw my buddy's recently purchased 53UDX. I have to say that regular cabel looked just fine on his set too. Frankly, his 16X9 Full mode did not look all that bad. If I didn't watch as many movies as I currently do (and did not care about future HD content) I would be all over the UDX.

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks