What's new

Pre-Order Shadow of The Thin Man (Warner Archive Collection) (1941) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So, essentially, you like the first three (as I think those are the first three I own) but in a specific order.
No, I like all six movies and will be buying them all on Blu-ray. However, the first three movies are my favorites ones. I think part of that problem is I'm used to watching all six movies in chronological order so I might be getting "Thin Man" fatigue by the time I watch the last three movies. From now on, I won't be doing that in one setting any longer.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
No, I like all six movies and will be buying them all on Blu-ray. However, the first three movies are my favorites ones. I think part of that problem is I'm used to watching all six movies in chronological order so I might be getting "Thin Man" fatigue by the time I watch the last three movies. From now on, I won't be doing that in one setting any longer.

Gotcha! (and the link worked once you fixed it. I edited my post to indicate so)

I am just not sure I want to purchase all six. I would do so if enough people indicated that the movies were consistently good and worthy of purchase but thus far, there has not been a strong indication of that. And, I might get fatigued trying to watch all of them as well.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Gotcha! (and the link worked once you fixed it. I edited my post to indicate so)

I am just not sure I want to purchase all six. I would do so if enough people indicated that the movies were consistently good and worthy of purchase but thus far, there has not been a strong indication of that. And, I might get fatigued trying to watch all of them as well.
My advice is not to watch all six movies at the same time as I've been doing. I grew up watching these movies so my affection for them is unquestioned. However, I think even I have been fatigued in watching them together.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Probably the best thing to do as someone else suggested is make your decision after you watch the 3rd film. If you are getting tired of the series at that point you probably don't need the others but if you are still enjoying the series then you will most likely enjoy the rest.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Probably the best thing to do as someone else suggested is make your decision after you watch the 3rd film. If you are getting tired of the series at that point you probably don't need the others but if you are still enjoying the series then you will most likely enjoy the rest.
Yup!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
However, the first three movies are my favorites ones.

It seems like everybody has their own opinions as to which are the best/least of the series but I do remember you and I pretty much lining up in our thoughts on these. Like you, I love all six movies (have since I was a kid) and wouldn't think of NOT owning them. Also like you, however, I feel the series can be divided into two UNequal halves, with the first three being generally better/more consistent in tone.

If the second three have flaws, a lot of them can be boiled down to MGM's determination to morph the series into typical MGM family series fare. The characters fluctuate from one to the next and the sophisticated nature of "Nick and Nora" as a sleuthing couple suffers for it. As much as I love the mystery/mis-en scene of THE THIN MAN GOES HOME it's no secret that the deterioration of Nora's character into (what amounts to) a simpleton has always irked the hell out of me. By the time Nick puts her over his knee for a newspaper spanking (with his beaming parents looking on) we're about as far removed from Hammett's 1930's ideal of smart, sassy equals as we can get. In the next movie, the character is allowed to snap back into something more recognizable.

Again, this comes down to different authors writing the stories and screenplays and can be expected in any long running series. I can get over the seeming flaws in some of them and still go along for the ride. Even with the "betrayal" of Nora, THE THIN MAN GOES HOME is still my favorite of the second half of the series. I can never easily remember, no matter how many times I've seen it, who the murderer is in SHADOW OF THE THIN MAN until I'm about half way through as I've always found it to be the least memorable of the lot. Even though I can CURRENTLY tell you who done it (I may forget by the time I see it again) I couldn't begin to tell you why they done it, lol.

We're comparing them to other films in the same series and making the "best" of the series (whatever we personally think that is) the standard by which we're judging all of them. I do that too. As a series, and as a set of movies compared to OTHER films of the period, however, even the LEAST of them is a fun, delightfully charming way to spend a few hours. They are all, in my opinion, worthy of purchase but NOT necessarily to be watched consecutively each time, lol. They were released two and three years apart, one a week is probably enough (you won't notice changes to the characters as easily that way as well!)

On a side note, I first became a fan as a kid on the old "Dialing for Dollars" afternoon movie at 4pm each week day. They had to drop one film in the series for each "Thin Man" week and each showing was interspersed with "gerbil races" (yes, gerbils.) They would name each gerbil after something movie themed. SHADOW was "Nick" on top, "Nora" in the middle, and "Donna Reed" on bottom (poor Donna LOL!)

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
For an excellent analysis of The Thin Man movies, read the section devoted to them in James Harvey's Romantic Comedy in Hollywood: From Lubitsch to Sturges. Harvey and Will Krupp are on the same page.
The book is very readable and well written. The author is impressively knowledgeable.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
For an excellent analysis of The Thin Man movies, read the section devoted to them in James Harvey's Romantic Comedy in Hollywood: From Lubitsch to Sturges. Harvey and Will Krupp are on the same page.
The book is very readable and well written. The author is impressively knowledgeable.

I'll have out check it out, thanks!

I adore ANYONE who is on the same page as I am :lol:

(no kindle, though! I'm getting so lazy and have no more room for actual books! Grrrrrr)

cda1143

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Thanks. I just ordered a used hardcover from Amazon. There‘s one review stating the in-print paperback edition has poor quality photos and text.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
For me, they are all enjoyable films, both for their mysteries (if you're a mystery buff) and a fan of Powell and Loy. Most mystery series were B-films, but The Thin Man series is A-list all the way. I, too, think Shadow of the Thin Man is very strong, and it features the return of Sam Levene as Lt. Abrams which is a BIG plus.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
For me, they are all enjoyable films, both for their mysteries (if you're a mystery buff) and a fan of Powell and Loy. Most mystery series were B-films, but The Thin Man series is A-list all the way. I, too, think Shadow of the Thin Man is very strong, and it features the return of Sam Levene as Lt. Abrams which is a BIG plus.
The first three have great mysteries with very clever solutions, as they were written by Dashiel Hammett. (The first from the novel, the second from an original screenplay by Hammett, and the third, from a previously published short story by Hammett, called "The Farewell Murder".) After that, though, I find the mysteries and their solutions perfunctory. Though I like "Shadow of the Thin Man", I figured out the solution almost from the get-go. It wasn't exactly compelling. What held my attention were the supporting characters, especially Sam Levene, and also Stella Adler as a gun moll. (The whole idea of Stella Adler as a gun moll boggles the mind, but she's very good). Though for me, "Shadow of the Thin Man" is where everything starts to get bogged down. The action is extremely leisurely, and William Powell and Myrna Loy seem distracted. It's also too glossy and inundated with MGM production values for its own good.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
My advice is not to watch all six movies at the same time as I've been doing. I grew up watching these movies so my affection for them is unquestioned. However, I think even I have been fatigued in watching them together.
We usually re-watch the six films over a couple of months, so we avoid that fatigue factor. And this time, with the BD releases being spread out, it works out even better.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
We usually re-watch the six films over a couple of months, so we avoid that fatigue factor. And this time, with the BD releases being spread out, it works out even better.
Even though I watched all six movies back at New Year's Eve/Day, I have watched "After the Thin Man" and "Another Thin Man" again on their BD release dates this year. I will do the same for the last three movies too.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
The first three have great mysteries with very clever solutions, as they were written by Dashiel Hammett. (The first from the novel, the second from an original screenplay by Hammett, and the third, from a previously published short story by Hammett, called "The Farewell Murder".) After that, though, I find the mysteries and their solutions perfunctory. Though I like "Shadow of the Thin Man", I figured out the solution almost from the get-go. It wasn't exactly compelling. What held my attention were the supporting characters, especially Sam Levene, and also Stella Adler as a gun moll. (The whole idea of Stella Adler as a gun moll boggles the mind, but she's very good). Though for me, "Shadow of the Thin Man" is where everything starts to get bogged down. The action is extremely leisurely, and William Powell and Myrna Loy seem distracted. It's also too glossy and inundated with MGM production values for its own good.
You're saying the first three Thin Man pictures lacked MGM's usual high standards for glossy production values?

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
You're saying the first three Thin Man pictures lacked MGM's usual high standards for glossy production values?
In the beginning, the production values are not an end in itself, especially in the first "Thin Man". It's directed by "One Take" W. S. Van Dyke, who, especially in the first film, does long single takes, with lots of overlapping dialogue at a very breezy pace. It's also a bit sloppy. The camera goes out of focus, the tracking shots wobble, people have their heads accidentally cut out of the frame for a moment, but it makes the film better, and gives it a sense of being-in-the-moment that goes well with the humorous interactions between Myrna Loy and William Powell. The seond film is glossier and more expensive looking, but "One Take" doesn't let that get in the way. It's still breezy and quick-paced. The third film is slower and even glossier, but Van Duke still has his moments of quickly-paced inventiveness, in particular the scenes with Marjorie Main & the Tango bar. But by the fourth, exhaustion has set in. Mr. van Dyke seems less interested in moving the camera around, and the glossiness has become an end in itself. It's still entertaining, but not what it once was.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher

For what it's worth, Maltin's guide rates the Thin Man films as follows:

The Thin Man ****
After the Thin Man ***1/2
Another Thin Man ***
Shadow of the Thin Man ***
The Thin Man Comes Home ***
Song of the Thin Man **1/2

I agree that it's probably best to view them as they are released on Blu-ray rather than binge watching.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I think I have only seen the first two THIN MAN movies. I own the first three on Blu-ray.

Are all these films really good, or as most sequels tend to do, does it spiral downward?

I want to be careful how many of these I blindly purchase not knowing how good they are.
In my opinion, all of the Thin Man movies are worth a gander - some with more staying power than others. But honestly, MGM really put its best 'feet' forward on these releases. Each is a quality affair. If I had to pick a weak link, it's probably Song of the Thin Man, but even that one is highly watchable for its Powell/Loy chemistry. 'Shadow' is a great film.

The tempo here shifts slightly as Powell and Loy left the 1930's behind. You have to remember, screwball was on its way out and Mayer was more interested in 'family fare' after Thalberg died. So, the uber-wit and sophistication here gets more casual, if not careworn. Remember too, in this movie young Nickie is around. They have a child, and so there are moments of quaint domesticity to counterbalance the crime-solving.

By the time of the last movie, Song of the Thin Man, Powell and Loy are middle-aged and act like a married couple who are very comfortable, not only with one another but in their own skin. I think if they had continued the franchise after that movie it wouldn't have been any good. But just at that moment, and in that movie, one senses a quaint, if subtle maturity and farewell to this crime-fighting duo which, as time has told, has long outlived its gestation and debut in the hearts and minds of those old enough to remember them. What a joy to get them coming out on Blu. You're in for another treat!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks