What's new

Sex and Death 101 (1 Viewer)

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Sex and Death 101 just wrapped recently, and is now in post production with an early 2007 release. What's so special about this movie? There was a brilliant movie from 1989 called Heathers. Written by Daniel Waters, and starring Winona Ryder. Critics loved it, audiences found it on video, and it became a cult classic. Some of the best dialouge ever. Sharp, funny, and weird,(think Joss Whedon of Buffy fame except better) it was arguably the best movie of the 80's. Well Daniel Waters has finally resurfaced, along with Winona Ryder after all these years to bring us another great movie. Here is what I know about the plot so far: possible spoilers:

A man (Simon Baker) gets an e-mail of every girl he's ever slept with, and oddly enough every girl he ever will sleep with 101 total. Eevrything is going great for him until he meets Gillian(Ryder) who is not even on his list of girls. Then things get really strange. Ryder has another name in the movie....Death Nell, and it's rumored that she is a dark fairy.

So if you loved Heathers you should start getting excited about this movie. I'm sure were in for a treat.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
It's a funny thing about Heathers, I used to love this movie a lot back when it was first released on home video, watched it countless times, now, though, I can no longer watch it as I no longer agree with many of it's themes.

I realize that it was a comedic commentary on being a teenager in high school, but I can't stomach it's forced cynicism anymore, my sensibilities have changed as i've grown and i've shed the part of me that once enjoyed the films dark messages.

As for this new film, we'll see.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
John,
I watched Heathers recently, and it does feel quite a bit different than how I originally felt watching it all those years ago. The character of JD(Christian Slater) is what gave me a little trouble. I used to think his charactrer was strange, but cool. This was of course pre-Columbine tragedy. Now I watch it, and it's like he's one of the trenchcoat mafia.

I still found Heathers to be great though, and it has aged well. Winona Ryder's performance is perfect, and while it is cynical, and a bit crass, it's still a great film. Also, we just don't get movies like this anymore(a dark comedy that is escapist, and thought provoking) instead we get movies like Mean Girls. Heathers still stands as one of the best films of the 80's.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Bryan, you nailed my feelings about 'JD' perfectly. I used to howl with laughter at the scene in the cafateria when he "pretend shoots" 'Kurt' and 'Ram' with the pellet gun, now, I don't find it funny anymore.

I used to like that scene so much because I was picked on in school and yeah, i'll admit I felt like doing that to the jocks who picked on me, but, after high school I just cut all that baggage loose and put it behind me and am no longer angry.

It's indicitive of how much i've changed since the late 80's, it should also be noted that Heathers is that rare film that I didn't take with me into adulthood as a favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks