What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Seven Days in May (1964) coming via WAC (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Noach Kowalski
Seven Days in May (1964)

NEW 2017 1080p HD REMASTER
BD 50
118:00
English SDH
DTS HD-Master Audio 2.0 MONO - English
ORIGINAL ASPECT RATIO - 1.78:1-16x9 FULL FRAME
BLACK & WHITE

Special Features:
Commentary with director John Frankenheimer
Theatrical Trailer (HD)

It happens with startling swiftness and violence. An armed cadre seizes state control. Fortunately, a coup d’état can’t happen here. Or can it?

A classic of suspense directed by John Frankenheimer (The Manchurian Candidate, Ronin) and written for the screen by Rod Serling (The Twilight Zone), Seven Days in May tautly explores that possibility. At odds are a popular general and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman (Burt Lancaster) and an unpopular president (Fredric March) with a pacifist agenda. At stake is the survival of the Republic. A vigilant colonel (Kirk Douglas) uncovers the scheme. But are the seven fateful days ahead enough time to derail a takeover? The clock is ticking.
18010727_10155215817256563_4201047386281063645_n.jpg

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I watched my DVD a month or two ago, and the movie still holds up beautifully. The DVD was less than pristine, so a Warner Archive Blu-ray will be most welcome if the track record to this point is a given.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I love this movie and Frankenheimer does good commentaries. Looking forward to it.

Most people complain about the "big faces" cover art, but this one looks great.

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
Great movie from an excellent book. I have a near-mint copy of the book, complete with dust jacket. It begins with a quotation from Dwight D. Eisenhower:

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes." - January 17, 1961

It's time for me to read it again.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Is there a pre-order link set up yet? This is the best news I've heard all day.

What can I say? I'm a "Lyman lover!"

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Is there a pre-order link set up yet? This is the best news I've heard all day.

What can I say? I'm a "Lyman lover!"
Since it just got announced on Facebook, I suspect such a link will come in a few days or perhaps next week.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Great movie from an excellent book. I have a near-mint copy of the book, complete with dust jacket. It begins with a quotation from Dwight D. Eisenhower:

"In the councils of government, we must guard against the acquisition of unwarranted influence, whether sought or unsought, by the military-industrial complex. The potential for the disastrous rise of misplaced power exists and will persist. We must never let the weight of this combination endanger our liberties or democratic processes." - January 17, 1961

I wish this was available as an ebook. I love my Kindle too much to read any other way. Trying to remember if I ever read the book. I'm thinking the book goes into more detail about the Ava Gardner character.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall

I haven't read the book that Seven Days in May was based on for Serling's screenplay...but the resulting movie is terrific with that Great Triumvirate of Lancaster, Douglas and March...really looking forward to seeing it in a typically outstanding WAC Blu-ray...

That quote from President Eisenhower's farewell address is the famous hallmark of what many regard as the greatest Presidential farewell address of them all...a recent bestselling book has been devoted to the Eisenhower/JFK transition of December 1960-January 1961..."Three Days in January" by Bret Baier...those three days between Ike's great closing address and JFK's great Inaugural address...other Eisenhower biographers (Evan Thomas, David A. Nichols) have convincingly made the case that what Ike was warning against wasn't a classic and time immemorial Military Coup d' etat, but the growing political influence of military contractors, their lobbyists, their politician patrons and a harnessed media...for Ike, it was the combination of powerful contractors like Convair, Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, Electric Boat Company and others, working with ambitious Senators like Stuart Symington (D-Missouri), who frequently fed classified information to Tom Lanphier (WW2 hero credited with shooting down Adm. Yamamoto) of Convair Corporation and high profile journalist Joseph Alsop...all of this in service of the phony "Missile and Bomber Gap" political hot button of the 1960 campaign...people forget that JFK beat this drum as hard as he could in the Election campaign as well...as outgoing President, Ike was a subject of derision and ridicule, portrayed as a dithering old fool who had let the Soviets gain Nuclear first strike superiority...Eisenhower could not defend himself with the proof (Top Secret U2 and Corona satellite photo imagery) that the Soviet threat was greatly exaggerated for the political advantage of domestic politicians and the profit imperative of giant military contractors...the USA had crushing Nuclear Superiority over the Soviets in 1960...you would have never known that by listening to JFK and LBJ's campaign speeches...

Eisenhower saw great danger in this growing influence and is remembered for his warning...we see such pervasive, wasteful and paralyzing effects on Capitol Hill to this day...much worsened by a literal army of paid lobbyists in the tens of thousands...and gutless politicians of all stripes...

It's worth noting also that despite the looming Cuba and West Berlin crisis, during the transition conferences with JFK, Eisenhower surprised the incoming President with his intense preoccupation over Laos, Vietnam and S. E. Asia...another prescient warning from a great statesman...

Post Edited by Moderator. No further specific political discussion is allowed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks