Setup help for SVS Ultra + Crown K1

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JackIR, Nov 27, 2001.

1. JackIR

JackIR Stunt Coordinator

Through the great discussion of this board I bought a SVS Ultra sub and a Crown K1 amp. This is by far the best combination I have heard.
    Here's a quick setup question. The Crown K1 has two channels, each rated 550 watts @ 4 ohm. I am using only one of the channels to drive the sub. Since the sub's max is 500W, this sounds like the right setup. Because I am not using the other channel on the Crown, is there any advantage to bridge the two channels for 1,500 watts?
    Thanks for your help guys.[​IMG]

2. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

Hi Jack, glad to hear this system sounds good to you.
    I wouldn't bother bridging the amp into a single CS_Ultra. You'll exceed the travel limits of the driver eventually...and best case would only have you picking up maybe a dB(of max output) before those limits are reached.
    When you're ready to up the ante' a little...just add a second CS_U...6dB more headroom [​IMG]
    TV

3. Scott Page

Scott Page Stunt Coordinator

Tom,

Does a second sub give you about 6 db's more? I was thinking it was only 3 db's.

4. Bruce N

Bruce N Second Unit

You get 6db when you place them side by side. I think this is called 'coupling'.

Bruce

5. Tom Vodhanel

Tom Vodhanel Cinematographer

If you add an identical subwoofer AND 2x the total voltage(amp power)...you gain 6dB if the subs are placed next to one another.

If you add a second sub...but keep the same amp power, you gain 3dBs if both units are placed close together.

TV