What's new

SETI@home Part 3 (Take 2) (2 Viewers)

MikeSerrano

Second Unit
It's still down... here's what I get when I try to ping the site:
G:Dev_>ping setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu
Pinging milkyway.ssl.berkeley.edu [128.32.18.165] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 128.32.0.89: Destination host unreachable.
Ping statistics for 128.32.18.165:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms
-Mike
------------------
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.
void *: Finger to spiritual emptiness underlying everything.
.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o0o.o 0o.

Loring

Stunt Coordinator
Well its still down today.
And I have three units that are waiting to be sent.
Hope its fixed by tonight.
------------------
Happy Viewing :)
~Loring
[email protected]
"Ye do not meddle in thee affairs of thy dragon, for thou art crunchy and taste good with thy katchup"

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you SetiDriver!
For those who don't know, SetiDriver is a caching utility that allows you to download work units in advance. That way, during downtimes like this, you aren't stuck with nothing to process. Check it out here .
Lary

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
UPDATE
I found this when trying to reach Berkely's servers today:
Fiber cut silences SETI@Home
At about 3:30 AM PST on 27 February an optical fiber cable connecting the U.C. Berkeley campus with the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory was cut, apparently by vandals trying to "salvage" copper from other nearby cables.
The broken fiber carries data and voice connections for LBNL and also for the Space Sciences Lab. SSL is where the SETI@Home project is located, so the millions of participants helping to analyze data have been unable to contact the SETI@Home servers for more than a day.
Contractors are pulling new cable now. It's expected that service to SSL will be restored by Friday, 2 March 2001. We'll update this page as we learn more about the progress of the repairs.
------------------------------------------------------------
For more information, please visit the newsgroups sci.astro.seti and alt.sci.seti.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Update from today:
Fiber cut silences SETI@Home, Lawrence Hall of Science
1 March 2001
At about 3:30 AM PST on 27 February an optical fiber cable connecting the U.C. Berkeley campus with the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory was cut, apparently by vandals trying to "salvage" copper from other nearby cables.
The broken fiber carries data and voice connections for LBNL and also for the Space Sciences Lab and the Lawrence Hall of Science. SSL is where the SETI@Home project is located, so the millions of participants helping to analyze data have been unable to contact the SETI@Home servers ever since.
This morning we (CNS) were told that the repairs would be finished sometime today. Unfortunately that's not the case. The carrier has finished pulling new cable, but now LBNL has to splice the new cable into their own fiber plant. This process will not be completed until late in the day Friday, 2 March.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I've burned up over half my cache. I don't think I can make it through the weekend, if it comes to that.

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Yesterday's update:
Repairs were supposed to be completed late today, but have been delayed due to the rain last night. Apparently the rain, mud, and steep terrain combined to prevent the contractors from bringing their equipment to the repair site. We are now being told that the contractors will somehow be able to reach the site tomorrow morning, 3 March, and should finish the repair late in the day.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I'm running on empty. My batch files started looping so I tossed in a sleep command so they don't chase their tails all weekend.
When they come back online the servers are going to be swamped with completed work units coming in and requests for new work units.

Loring

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just got a new WU as of 12:37pm(California time) on Saturday morning on march 3rd.
Question anyone know if SetiDriver work with the screensaver version of seti?

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
OK Team...
I will have my slaves in over-drive for the next week or so. I have 3 quad processor Xeons ranging from 500mhz to 1ghz cranking on units, plus my normal stable of machines.
I should be producing around 50 units a day by tomorrow evening.
I am shooting for the #2 spot on the team.
Watch out!
biggrin.gif

John DrakeLaw

Stunt Coordinator
Help needed with the command line version.
It looks like I'll need this version to run the seti-driver so I'm thinking of having a go. Up til now I've always thought it beyond my abilities.
First can anyone advise me which version to dowload or if there is a version for my configuration? I'm running Windows 98 SE on an AMD Athlon 1200.
Thanks in advance. John

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Chris,
You're not the only one with recent upgrades! :) Within the past two weeks I've upgraded my office machine from a P2-300/128MB desktop to a P3-850/512MB laptop and my home machine from a P3-850 to a P3-1000. I should see a small uptick in my productivitiy. :D
I also have a "spare" P2-300 laptop at home that I can include in my processing once my broadband gateway gets back from service. It won't turn out many units, but every little bit looks to be necessary if I want to stay in the top 30 for any period of time.
------------------
pat----
home: [email protected] ... office: [email protected]
no home page yet, so ...
Link Removed ---==*==--- DVD Collection

John DrakeLaw

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for that Chris.
Command Line version now installed and ScreenSaver version uninstalled.
Still a few quetions for anyone who can help:
It says to see progress, operate client with the -verbose option. Any idea how you give instructions separately to the setidriver interface? The winking cursor in the text window doesn't seem to accept text. Or by looking at the 'prog=' line in the state.sah file. How would I read this file?
Also after removing the seti screensaver is there any way of blanking the screen after so many minutes? Can't see the option on other screensavers or in power management.
Keep finding new questions, hopefully any answers will be helpful to others starting out with the cli version.
All a bit new to me, perhaps there's a FAQ already set up somewhere that I haven't found yet. Thanks in advance, John

John DrakeLaw

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all that MickeS.
After hunting through the screensavers there's not one called 'default' but there is one called 'blank'. Great, find I got used to the idea of just leaving a blank screen when not in use.
The text version certainly runs a bit faster but what makes the real difference for me is not having to manually download each unit, just leave a seven day supply. My ISP doesn't allow a program to autodial in, so I've been waking up in the middle of the night, sweet talking the wife for when I'm away and generally having to be at seti's beck and call.
Thanks again, John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks