What's new

SETI@home Part 3 (Take 2) (1 Viewer)

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Chris, unless you've got some completed work units that you haven't cashed in, I'm in second place again.

A network change caused my SetiQueue to be unable to connect and I didn't discover it until about a day after the queue had run dry. I'm still not back at full strength, I have three clients down, one of them permanently. On the other hand, right now I have temporary use of a P4 1.7 GHz that is completely idle other than running SETI. It spits out a work unit every 3-4 hours.

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor
Dangit!!!
My slaves went on strike! All of them!!!!!! They have been down for three days!!!!
I have not only told them they would receive less benefits I went out and recruited two more.
I want my spot back!!!
:)

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
Anyone else getting a:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /index.html on this server.
Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
message when trying to access the SETI server? Wanted to check my stats, but guess it can wait.
Using this address:
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
which is the one I've been using since signing up.

Chris White

Second Unit
HTS Seti Club Productivity Report

Over the past 8 2/3 days, here is the average daily productivity of our top 15:

Craig S: 1.5

Wayne B: 25.3

Chris M: 19.9

Paul B: 3.5

WillynJoe: 0.8

Jeff B: 0.0

M Rogue: 3.9

Dr. White: 7.9

Ben G: 0.0

Mister Gin: 4.2

psklenar: 17.8

Jon W: 5.3

Mike V: 3.3

Nighthawk: 3.9

Dr. Plaid: 2.4

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
grrr.....I can't even get on to exchange work units. Anyone else having this problem or is it something on my end?

EDIT: uh, nevermind. Of course just after I post this it starts working agian. Go figure.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
It was down for a few days, I believe. I couldn't connect at least, and I had about 10 WU's to send.

/Mike

Dan B

Screenwriter
OK, you can count on me to join the HTF SETI team. I'll try to get started next week, but don't expect much from me, because I'm spending 99% of my day surfing the HTF on my computer. ;)
-Dan B.
has not yet detected terrestrial intelligence

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Sorry I haven't been pulling my weight lately. I've dropped from eleventh place to seventeenth place since I've lost my spare processor cycles.

On a side note, it sucks being unemployed.

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
I was just checking out the team stats and noticed there are only 180 registered team members, and only 71 of them have returned any results since the first of the year. With over 23,000 registered members, it seems like there ought to be more than 180 HTF'ers who would be interested in participating. I think one of the problems is a lack of visibility. I'd been participating in SETI@Home for well over a year before I noticed there was a HTF team, and even then it was just because I stumbled on it in the team list on the SETI site. Does anyone else think a mention somewhere on the main page might get us a few more participants?

Dan B

Screenwriter
I've installed the program, but I haven't been able to register yet...I've been trying since yesterday to connect with no luck. Everything seems to be configured correctly. Is everybody else able to connect?

-Dan

David-S

Second Unit
I haven't been able to send or receive new files for the last several days... still have a few in reserve, but not sure what's going on...

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
From the SETI@home technical news page:

January 25, 2002

Users may find their connections to the server slow during peak hours. Some may even see a connection refusal. This is due to a bandwidth limit between UC Berkeley and the Internet. The aggregate Internet usage over the entire campus has recently hit this limit. UC Berkeley's Communication and Network Services has been extremely helpful in working with us on this issue. The goal is for SETI@home users to get as good a data rate as possible while at the same time not adversely affecting the rest of campus. The current (new) policy is for SETI@home to get all excess capacity in outbound bandwidth (inbound is not an issue). This is being done by placing our traffic at a lower priority than that of other users, but applying no rate limit other than the campus wide cap. Placing us at a lower priority is necessary so that interactive Internet users do not experience painfully high latency. This policy translates into enormous capacity at (local) night, but a tight squeeze during peak hours. Thus far this policy is working better than expected even though there may be periods of poor service. Please bear with us as we work towards a sustainable long term solution.

Oscar W

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oscar
Alas, I am 10 away from 100 units (though SETI is showing 88)and I have to shutdown my computers for a week or so.
So I give a short reprieve to Jim Bernard (116) and whoever is the blankspace at 115, to have a few days to pull out on me again. But, I'll be back soon! Then it's onto the charge to knock Craig S out of the lead. :D

Chris White

Second Unit
A quick reminder to anyone new to the SETI game -- the SETI servers have been notoriously unreliable over the past year. As a result, you should seriously consider using a program such as Seti Driver or Seti Queue so that you always have a cache of units waiting to be processed. These programs will eliminate those times when you are unproductive because you can't download a new unit.
A couple of queries for anyone using the services version of Seti ...
I am now running Seti as a service on several Win2000 machines. Although Seti Queue is supposed to run as a service, I have not been able to get it to run. Is anyone here running Seti as a service alongside Seti Queue.
With the Seti Driver version, there is a cpu priority setting. I'm not aware of such a setting for the services version, and I would like to have it. Does anyone know how to assign a lower cpu priority to the Seti service?

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
I see we've dropped another spot in the groups rankings. Is there any way we could get a prominent mention above the fold to try to drum up some interest? There have to be more than 180 HTF'ers who would be interested in joining the effort. Maybe a link next to the Home Theater Cruise emblem?

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
I would love to have another membership drive, but would caution against it right now. As you are probably aware of, SETI@home is struggling with a major bandwidth problem. I don't know about you guys, but even with a caching program I've had times where a computer goes for a day or more with nothing to crunch and the message "Can't connect to server, will retry in an hour."

If we were able to get a couple dozen people to sign up I'm afraid that their excitement would quickly erode when they were unable to even download their first workunit! Hopefully SETI will resolve the problem in the near future and provide a more reliable system. After all, distributed computing only works when the computers can access the system!

Just my opinion of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks