What's new

SETI@home Part 3 (Take 2) (1 Viewer)

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
You have a good point there, Dennis. I just set up SetiQueue and the log shows it took hours to download five new work units, and that was starting at 1AM Pacific time. Whether it's a lack of bandwidth or just plain server overload, they're clearly having some major problems right now. It probably would be discouraging to a new SETI contributor.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Hey guys, I need a little help with Seti Queue.

I set it up last night and the WU that was running at the time finished at 3:30am this morning. When I got to my computer I found that SetiQueue had recieved the WU but my Seti@Home client was showing that it was done with a WU and was connecting to server. It stayed like this till i killed the Seti@home client. When I restarted it, it started working right away on a new WU, but when I went to check SetiQueue it still only shows the one from 3am being the only one done so far. I should have completed two more WU since the 3am one.

I'm not sure but I think that my Seti@Home client finished its WU at 3am then sent it to SetiQueue, then just hung there waiting for a new WU. I think it recieved it due to the fact that when I restarted the client it started crunching on data, but it didn't start till I restarted the client.

Is this normal behavior? Do you guys think there is a problem here? I wonder if I have a setting screwed up or something.

Thanks,

Marshall

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I've just got my new computer up and running, and where it used to take me somewhere in the range of to 17 to 18 hours to process a work unit, I'm now doing it in about 6. That's great because I came home from work today and found I'd sent off results on three completed units since I'd last checked the day before, whereas previously I'd have sent off only one. Big jump from my PII-400 to my PIV 1.9Ghz.

So look out ahead, I'm coming through with blinding (for me) output on my single home machine! Looks like the HTF Team needs all the help it can get. I've not had too many problems connecting the last day or so either, although connecting was really difficult the last few days before that.

Patrick R. Sklenar

Second Unit
Gee, I seem to have slipped into 9th place ... and no one even offered me a toast. :D Looks like it'll be a couple of months before I move up any more though ... I'm a long way back from #7! :eek:

James St

Supporting Actor
Newbie here. I just joined today and am looking to contribute. Hopefully my Athlon XP1800+ can help out.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
James - thanks for joining! Your Athlon 1800 should be able to crank out several units a day. I'm in the top 20 and my fastest machine is an Athlon 700! BTW, how did you find out about the HTF team? It might help us lure in some additional members.

I read at the SETI site that they have purchased some additional bandwidth. Lets see how it goes over the next week or so. If everything is smooth again we should start thinking about another HTF membership drive. Any ideas on how to create more interest?

James St

Supporting Actor
Well I just finished my first work unit. It took just under 4 hours to complete using the command line(CL) version. I'm also using SETI Driver and SETI Spy to get the job done. How should I be configuring my setup? I installed the GUI version but with the command line version being faster would it be safe to an existing WU(25% complete) to uninstall the GUI version? Also I configured SETI Spy to control CL version in terms of start up and exiting. If I exit in the middle of a WU will I have to restart a WU from the beginning? When I switched from GUI to CL it started a new WU. Is there a way to continue my original WU with the CL version?

Sorry for all the questions but there is too much info to weed through to find the answers I'm looking for. Thanks.

James St

Supporting Actor
Well I'm at 8 WU so far. I'm splitting my time between SETI and the HTF Cancer Research project started by Henry Carmona. I've answered most of the questions I had and I'll be moving my way up the ranks. I'm at 167 now and hopefully be within the top 150 by the end of the week.

Dennis, I just clicked on the thread for the first time and decided to try it out. I usually avoid large threads but but I got curious on this one. BTW I connected to SETI several times with no problems so maybe that extra bandwidth is making a difference.

Kris McLaughlin

Stunt Coordinator
Hey I just hit 500WU today! Firmly entrenched in 69th position. Look out above, though- my new rig arrives this week... you've been warned. :)

Robert Elrod

Agent
It looks like everything is running smoothly at SETI again. I haven't seen unable to connect errors in the last few days.

So c'mon HTF'ers join the team... let's be number 1!!!!

Robert - 1957 units processed and counting

James St

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the info Jay. I uninstalled the GUI version and and the CL version runs without a problem. I'm in 156th place and movin up fast. 19 WU done and I just sent 2 more. HTF is ranked at 151 right now.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
WIERD PROBLEM

I have a P41.8 and I can complete a WU in about 5.5 hours. I just got my neighbor to joint the HTF team (Welcome Jdaddy!) Anyway, He has a P41.5 and his computer is taking 35hours!!! WTF? I've checked his other processes and theres nothing running except the usual windows stuff. We'er both running WinXP.

-Marshall

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
Marshall, are you using the GUI version or the command line version? The GUI is prettier, but the command line version is MUCH faster.

Following are some shots in the dark.

Does your friend have some kind of power saving thing set up? It might be throttling down the system if it thinks it isn't being used.

Is there some other kind of screen saver running? Some screen savers are huge CPU hogs.

Is the computer being turned off when not in use? (I know it seems obvious, but...)

Is it really taking 35 hours to process a unit or is he just having trouble connecting to the server for another work unit?

Robert Elrod

Agent
If you are using the screensaver...

1. Right click on you desktop, and select properties.

2. Select the Screen Saver tab

3. Hit the settings button

4. Check the box that says go to blank screen and set the time for 1 minute.

This will dramatically decrease the time it takes to process units.

Robert

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Thanks guys, strangly enough after his first two WUs took abou 35 hours each, now they are taking approx 6 hours. MUCH BETTER. We didn't change anything, they just started going faster!

Does the commandline seti@home still go faster than the GUI version even if you always have the GUI version minimized? I have the GUI version on my P4 and I always keep it minimized. Would I get my WUs done faster if I got the GUI one?

Thanks,

Marshall

A

Anthony_Gomez

Ok, I just downloaded everything and the program is running fine....

I clicked on the link to join...but I don't know what to do from there!

Please walk me through as if I was an idiot=)

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks