Send DirecTV your picture quality feedback

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy L, Nov 26, 2001.

1. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

The new DirecTV spot beam satellite launches this afternoon. This satellite will allow local channels to be much more pinpointed in terms of geographic location. Since many if not most of the local channels are going to be moved to the spot beam satellite in addition to the new must carry channels, large amounts of bandwidth is going to be freed up on the main satellite at 101.
    I would encourage every DirecTV customer to send them an e-mail requesting that they use the freed up bandwidth to reduce compression, thus improving picture quality, instead of adding additional channels. The only way that they will know that PQ is important to the customer is to tell them.
    Thanks!

2. LDfan

LDfan Supporting Actor

Picture quality will increase but it won't happen until the early part of next year. The new satellite won't be ready for use til the very end of december at the earliest. I feel sorry for the Dish network folks since they don't have any of their spotbeam sats up yet. Their PQ will be horrible starting the first of the year.

Jeff

3. Bob Monio

Bob Monio Extra

There have been several messages about this new DirecTV satellite coming on-line. Will we need to do anything to access it or will it be automatic?

I'd be interested in learning more about this new satellite that is going up - where is it documented?

Thanks!

-Bob

4. Andy L

Andy L Stunt Coordinator

Access to the new satellite will be automatic as it is in the same location (101*) as the existing satellite which carries most of their national channels.
    Check out http://www.dbsforums.com for some good info.

5. Bob Monio

Bob Monio Extra

Thanks. I've checked it out and it's interesting to see what's happening with the new Satellite. Hopefully it will clean up some of the degradation we see due to compression on some channels.

-Bob