What's new

Self-check out lines at the grocery store.. (1 Viewer)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
First of all, automation does not put people out of a job.
That's true only to a point. Historically automation has indeed cost people jobs.

Just to point out the other side of the equation: the automated lines in Super Markets mean that the store can hire fewer cashiers (who make decent money) and hire more stock persons who don't make as much.

To make matters worse with fewer cashiers’ positions available it will take longer for someone to move up the pay scale.

As some one who happens to work with the three big players in the grocery store business it is safe to say that all of them will have some automated lanes in the very near future.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Sarah S

Second Unit
I dislike using them, mainly because I feel like the store's employee as I scan & bag my own stuff & then have to pay for the experience. If they offered even 5 cents off or something I wouldn't mind so much.

Don Black

Screenwriter
How do these machines handle coupons? Do they collect them at the end? Do they scan in properly? What if you have a coupon for something that wasn't scanned? It seems like these self-service stands need more work.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
The machine scans the coupons too, and checks the upcs in the coupon against what you've purchased ;) There's usually one employee on hand as well for help with problems...

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
When you move your scanned item to the bagging area, it's really a weight scale, so the computer knows how much that item should weigh, and compares it to what's placed on the bagging area/scale. That's how it knows to tell you to put that scanned item in a bag.

Tony_Faville

Supporting Actor
We have them here in the Portland metro area. Only cool thing about it is you can usually get out of the store quicker than waiting in line.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Ever since Stop and Shop and Shaw's started this I have been amazed at the response. I just don't get it. It is nothing more than a ploy by the stores to make money at your expense. If they want you to checkout and bag, then they should pay you for it either through discounted prices or coupons. The fact that the other lines are excessive just means that they haven't hired enough workers in the first place. I'm not falling for this one and not for the "Coinstar" 7% scam either. My bank gladly accepts a jar/waterjug of change for deposit with a 0% fee.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Hey Patrick, et al, our self-scan items are actually set to a belt, not directly into a bag, but the belt itself is some form of scale too cause I noticed that. It doesn't mean that you can't slip something light, like a greeting card and they probably wont even notice, but there are plenty of ways to shoplift if you want to, even with cashiers. So it basically comes down to whether you're honest or not and I guess the stores are betting on that most people are honest and that shoplifters will shoplift no matter if there is a human or computer doing the scanning. At least that's my take on the system.
As far as not getting paid to bag or scan, I have no problem with bagging my own, in fact, I'm usually assisting in the bagging when I am at a human operated scanner anyway, I don't feel that I'm on this earth to be waited on, whether I'm getting paid or not and I do it just to be helpful cause that's just how I am I guess. :)
Jay

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
The Meijers closest to our house had nearly a dozen self-check out machines. I went in their last week (first time in almost four months) and all of the machines were gone! I couldn't find a single one.

I liked using them for small, quick purchases. However, they were rarely used by other shoppers and the store always had a couple employees on "stand-by" to assist shoppers who were having problems. I guess SE Michigan may not be quite ready for the 21st century!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Ever since Stop and Shop and Shaw's started this I have been amazed at the response. I just don't get it. It is nothing more than a ploy by the stores to make money at your expense. If they want you to checkout and bag, then they should pay you for it either through discounted prices or coupons. The fact that the other lines are excessive just means that they haven't hired enough workers in the first place.
So, using this same logic, I assume that you do not approve of ATM's either? What about gas stations that allow you to pay at the pump? Sometimes the payoff is not in saving money, but in convenience and saving time. My time is valuable to me, and I appreciate businesses that offer solutions that recognize this.

Adam Tyner

Screenwriter
My only problem is that obnoxious "Please place the item...in the bag" voice.
That, and, "please remove the last item from the bag and place it on the scanner" or whatever. It's a constant frustration at the Bi-Lo I shop at, but even with that mild hassle, I love checking out myself...to the point where I won't shop at a grocery store that doesn't give me that option. I'd imagine I'm much more antisocial than most people who've replied to this thread, though. :)

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Historically automation has indeed cost people jobs. Just to point out the other side of the equation: the automated lines in Super Markets mean that the store can hire fewer cashiers (who make decent money) and hire more stock persons who don't make as much.
You're not looking at the big picture. Sure, if a grocery store went completely automated there would be a lot less checkers at that store. If all grocery stores went automated then checkers would be almost obsolete...but that doesn't mean that those people who were performing that job are not employed. They can move on to something else. If the store suddenly shows more stockers on their payrol and less checkers it doesn't mean the checkers were downgraded to stockers and are getting paid less.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
If they want you to checkout and bag, then they should pay you for it either through discounted prices or coupons.
My time is valuable. Using the self-serve lines I usually get out of the store much quicker. I consider that a pretty damn good discount.

As far as this technology taking jobs... At my Kroger's there is always an employee on duty watching the 4 automated stations. He or she helps customers with problems, provides proper produce codes, checks IDs for beer & wine purchases, etc. If they were to remove the automated stations, they'd probably reassign this person to a regular checkout line, but you can be sure they wouldn't go out and hire three more folks to work 3 lines to replace the ones lost. The way I look at it, this technology is being used to provide more checkout options for customers, not to cut jobs.

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Here in Austin the HEB grocery stores have put in these automated stations. Man, I love them....late at night when they only have 1 cashier open and the line is backed up I just head to the automated station and I am out of there in no time.
And as for technology taking jobs? Maybe that particular store doesn't hire 1 or 2 cashiers, but there sure are 5 more stores in a 10 mile radius that will surely hire. :emoji_thumbsup: for technology!

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
We just got the automated check out at Fred Meyer (owned by Kroger's I believe) in my small town. It's great, so much faster than waiting for a cashier. They do limit the amount of items to 10 or so, I guess the number of items that fit on the scale (it also helps the lines move faster). Typically the employees who oversee this area are cashiers who rotate to/from a register. I guess it's a break, or a change in routine for the cashiers during the day.

Aaron

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
My time is valuable. Using the self-serve lines I usually get out of the store much quicker. I consider that a pretty damn good discount.
Perhaps if you have 5 items and can throw them in one bag and provided the lines were empty. If you have a normal size $60-$100 order, I fail to see how this can be the case. With proper training by the store and an adequate number of employees you would get out faster by having two people do the job.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Gas stations that offer self-service provide a discount to those that choose to pump their own gas. Paying at the pump is something that you would have to do in excess of bagging and scanning your items at a self-service line.
Most service stations in our area have done away with full service, so your only option is to pump your own gas. By paying at the pump, I have reduced the need for more employees to handle customers in the store, yet I do not share in those savings. Gas is the same price whether I pay at the pump or inside. However, I will not patronize a gas station that does not allow me to pay at the pump, because I prefer the convenience. It's no different that the automated grocery checkout.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I love these self-check out lines at the grocery store. Of course, I wish it were more like the Simpsons where Apu pointed out to Marge to NOT use the express check-out.
:laugh:
Seriously, I'm the only crazy person on the HTF that talks back to the machine everytime it quips, "Please place the item.....in the bag".
I'd say, "Yeah, well what are you going to do if I don't?"
9 times out of 10, the clerk at the end who oversees the whole thing gets annoyed with me and says, "Sir, please put the item in the bag."
:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gemini007
Recent bookmarks