Sega and Sammy Corp to merge.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Romier S, Feb 13, 2003.

1. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Reported on Bloomsberg:

Sega and Sammy Corp to merge.

Supposedly this deal is upwards of around 1.1 billion. If I recall correctly Sammy Studios (Responsible for Galerians Ash and Guilty Gear X2 recently) is a fully owned subsidiary of Tokyo based Sammy Corp.

A tidbit that has this Sega fan concerned (above the regular concern surrounding this type of merger):

2. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Hopefully hey will keep the Sega name for the games division, & just call the official name something else.

wow...

3. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Well, I guess it's not surprising but I am concerned since the thing I like most about Sega's games is that they're interesting and don't necessarily follow popular trends in gaming, and they've got a lot of style, and I think these are the reasons Sega has trouble selling games to begin with. So, yeah, they have to make money but I hope that they can somehow keep coming out with games that are still quirky and original.

4. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Interesting. There's really not /that/ much hard information in those articles unfortunately. Will CSK still have a controlling interest in Sega? What happens to Sega's dev studios? Is it a merger, a buyout or what?

Sammy just recently set up a US development wing & have been aggressively trying to fill it.

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I don't see this deal changing much in terms of either company. Maybe we'll see more Sonic Pachinko games/machines, but otherwise I think the products made will be unaltered.

Couldn't they make one overall company that controls everything, and then make Sega and Sammy two separate divisions under that company, so that we still get the Sega logo on stuff?

7. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

I was thinking about how poorly Sega has done with some of their titles as of late, the sports ones more than any other, and I wonder if it might not be in their best interest to see if they could "sell" VC to Sony. They could make a great deal of money off it, and we could finally see the 2K series get the attention and sales that they truely deserve by becoming an exclusive PS2 property.

I know I would be bummed about not having those titles on my Xbox, but I would get online play with them on the PS2.

Just a thought.

Glen

8. Dean DeMass

Dean DeMass Screenwriter

Glen,

I am going to have to ask you to never talk about SEGA again. [​IMG]

I hope to God that the 2K3 series never becomes a PS2 exclusive. I have a PS2, but the game runs so much smoother on the X-box and Live is much better for online play than the PS2.

-Dean-

9. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

10. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

Did Sammy have anything to do with the Steel batallion controller? I remember seeing that name on the instructions.

11. KevinRB

KevinRB Stunt Coordinator

QUOTE]They could make a great deal of money off it, and we could finally see the 2K series get the attention and sales that they truely deserve by becoming an exclusive PS2 property[/quote]

I don't know about that... 989 used to put out some good sports games until Sony neglected them by squeezing as much money as they could out of them without spending on improvements. Who's to say they wouldn't do the same with VC?

12. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

Sammy manufactured the Steel Battalion controller, and various fighting game arcade sticks in Japan.

13. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

With any luck, whoever heads this company up will be a crazy man with a big set of testicles. Hopefully he'll be twice as crazy as the man who said "The day Nintendo gets out of the hardware business is the day Nintendo gets out of video games".

Sega's core competency: software
    Sammy's core competency: manufacturing

Sammy Dreamcast coming in 2006. Remember, you heard it here first.