Second Velodyne Sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carl Gaff, Apr 11, 2002.

1. Carl Gaff

Carl Gaff Second Unit

Looking for a little advice. I'm considering adding a second subwoofer to my home theater system. My sub right now is a newer Velodyne CHT-15 (350 watt amp). I'm not sure if my second sub should be a matching CHT-15 or could I go with a Velodyne 12 inch sub with equal or greater power. What's everyones opinion?

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I'd go with another CHT-15.

I have 1 of those as well, Awesome sub, How big is your room? Do you really feel you need more bass? All you will really get is a few more spl's on the really low end.

I was thinking of upgrading to 2 of them but will wait till I "need" it. :)

3. Russell _T

Russell _T Supporting Actor

I have a CT 150. I would trade it in for the Hsu VTF-3 before I bought another one. WWW.AV123.com might give you a good buy on it.

4. Carl Gaff

Carl Gaff Second Unit

My room is pretty good sized with cathedral ceilings. The reason I thought of going to the second sub is for a more balanced sound. One in each front corner. I can get a pretty good price on a new one. I thought about a different brand of sub (i.e. HSU) but thought it would be better to stay with the Velodyne so that the sound qualities were the same.

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Stick with another CHT-15. Calibrate them as though you have 1 sub. I have experimented with two subs. Its great, but experiment with setup to avoid frequency cancellations.

6. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

You probably would have to end up stacking them, opposite corners may or may not work.

7. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

I'd say stack them too. Splitting them up from front to back can cause some nasty phase problems.

You could sell the CHT and get an HGS-15. I've got around 20,000 cubic feet (considering all my openings and ajacent rooms) and the HGS absolutely does the job. Truly awesome! I could never imagine having 2 of them.

8. John Sully

John Sully Stunt Coordinator

Yep, I just EQ'd my HGS-15 with a BFD and the setup absolutely rocks. The only drawback to the HGS subs is that they cost $$$$. Really remarkable performers though with a high WAF.

9. Sonnie Parker

Sonnie Parker Second Unit

Yeah John, they are very expensive, although there are some good deals out there if one looks hard enough. The WAF is the main reason I ended up with the HGS-15. I would have liked to try out an SVS but it just didn't fit. No doubt SVS are very good.
    I was also very fortunate to know a dealer that sold me one at a very good price. And I'm very happy! That's what counts the most.[​IMG]