What's new

SECOND MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT - STAR WARS: ep2 - TRAILER ALERT! (1 Viewer)

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It sounds very dark and very cool!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So did the TPM trailer
Really? I never thought for one minute that the trailer for TPM would be or even described as "dark."
------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
AIM: Aureus91 / DVDs / ICQ: 58566493

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I don't agree, but why do so many people equate Star Wars and "dark" as good. That's all I ever hear and read. Dark, dark, dark, dark.
I've never watched any Star Wars movie when it wasn't dark. The lights are always out at such time.
crazy.gif

------------------
As for the bad rap about the characters--hey, I've seen space operas that put their emphasis on human personalities and relationships. They're called "Star Trek" movies. Give me transparent underwater cities and vast hollow senatorial spheres any day. --Roger Ebert on The Phantom Menace
[Edited last by Tom_G on October 26, 2001 at 10:15 AM]

Coressel

Supporting Actor
"It was much darker and more serious in tone than the actual movie."
No, it was just SHORTER than the actual movie.

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
George Lucas created Pixar before selling it to Steve Jobs for the hefty sum of $50 million back in the mid-80s. Lucas and Jobs are close friends, and Lucas also has a good relationship with Disney has well. It should come as no surprise that he's shipping copies of the teaser with "Monsters Inc."

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Yeah, because obviously we don't want to think for one second that Star Wars appeals to kids. Right?
------------------
-J.Fo
"Why do I always get a warped one?"

Tom-G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
A movie that appeals to kids is not a bad thing. Look how great Toy Story and Toy Story 2 are!
The Force.Net had a description of the trailer. Just thought I would share it here as well:
1. First like one person reported earlier. Anakin is carrying a Green Lightsaber in one scene in a cave like hallway with Obiwan by his side. I think that they are on Genosis planet at the end of the film.
2. Yoda shot of him turning towards the camera was very well done, especially since it was a CG Yoda. The hair moved very well on his face. Good job ILM.
3. Probably the most interesting shot out of all of them is this shot of Obiwan being hung up in the air with a blue force field around him. There was also some lightning electricity at the bottom of this force field. So somebody is keeping a jedi at bay with a force field. Some have said it looked like a hologram but it is not.
4. A shot straight out of THX 1138 with Boba Fett and the young clones all sitting at computer monitors doing lessons. They have like a neon blue color in that shot.
5. Slave I coming at you shooting all it's weapons in the asteroid field.
6. The last shots come straight out of a pic we have of Anakin dueling with Dooku at the end. The low angle shot of one of the last select pics we ever got. There is about 4 seconds worth of quick cutting. Then those shots we have at the documentary of Anakin in a black room with the blue glow of his lightsaber on his face. Then fade to the title.
Plus during all these shots you hear Vader Breathing, and you hear a single drum beat which was in TPM scenes at the end with Obiwan getting ready to fight Darth Maul. That is the only sound during the whole trailer until the end with lightsabers.
------------------

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
obviously we don't want to think for one second that Star Wars appeals to kids. Right?
A movie that appeals to kids is not a bad thing
I think you’re forgetting to make a distinction between a well-done movie that appeals to kids and ALSO has enough art and craft and sophistication to appeal to adults and a movie that appeals purely to juvenile tastes.
TPM is the latter.
------------------

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
The trailer completely omitted the Jar Jar humor and kiddie elements of the film. Therefore, it was not simply a shorter representation of it.
Wrong! You seem to forget Jar-Jar freaking out in the bongo, and geting shocked by the energy binders of Anakin's pod racer.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
You seem to forget Jar-Jar freaking out in the bongo, and geting shocked by the energy binders of Anakin's pod racer.
I wonder if we're talking about the same trailer. The only Jar Jar line I remember from it is "Yousa thinking people are gonna die?"
Not exactly kiddie stuff.
------------------

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I'm talking about the teaser trailer.
And who says a trailer has to reveal EVERYTHING about the movie. On this forum people have been complaining (and rightfully so) about trailers showing too much and spoiling the movie. So why should TPM be any different?

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
Here's the official announcement, posted today on starwars.com:
quote: Pixar Animation Studios and Walt Disney Studios today announced that Lucasfilm Ltd. has created an exclusive teaser trailer for Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones that will only appear at the head of the new animated Disney/Pixar film Monsters, Inc. The film premieres on November 2nd in theaters across the United States and Canada.
George Lucas commented, "I have great respect for Pixar and deep admiration for John Lasseter and his team. I'm thrilled to be able to show audiences their first glimpse of Episode II with Monsters, Inc. It gives me an immense sense of pride to see our companies working together."[/quote]
[Edited last by Ken Seeber on October 29, 2001 at 05:20 PM]

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
I can't remember exactly but I think it was the first teaser to TPM that was fairly 'dark'. They showed images of the armies lining up, then talk about people dieing and war and then the "Wipe them out, all of them" line then Obi Wan with a long emotional scream and the site of lots of explosions and then the droid getting blown to bits by a giant fireball. Definately was a darker toned trailer than the over all movie. I'm looking forward to the first three teasers even though I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars, but I am a fan of cool trailers. :)

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of trailers I do find it harsh and supsicious how THX pulled the custom Shrek THX trailer from Monster's Inc. From the sounds of it this trailer was supposed to be very cool and was going to be included on the THX demo discs as well as to continue to play at THX certified theatres. Guess Pixar/Disney are a little nervous about Monster's Inc. competing with the hugely successful Shrek.
http://www.dvdreview.com/html/news.html

Coressel

Supporting Actor
"The trailer completely omitted the Jar Jar humor and kiddie elements of the film..."
As Richard Kim pointed out, in the first teaser trailer for Episode I back in '98, there was a shot of JarJar getting his nose caught in the electro-thingy between pod engines, and a shot of him spazzing underwater. And there was a shot of Ani in the pod race as well as flying through space.
I remember people were already bitching about that at the time claiming that the movie was "going to suck" because there's a goofy alien and a little kid flying around.
I'm curious to see what final judgement people will cast on Episode II based on the 30 seconds they'll spend $10 to see this weekend.

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Other's have brought up the Pixar connection, to which I would add that a SWE2 trailer will likely go up at Apple's site soon.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
It's pretty apparent that the teaser trailer wasn't the one I was thinking of (there was more than one trailer). But I still maintain that even the teaser trailer has a quite dark and serious overall tone to it, even with the one-second shot of Jar Jar antics. The dialogue in the trailer is quite ominous and serious, referring to the beginning of a saga, the origin of a legend, bringing balance to the force, Anakin leaving his mother, etc. And it ends with Yoda talking about fear and hate and suffering.
Again, hardly kiddie stuff.
------------------

Wes Ray

Supporting Actor
I too haven't lost the magic surrounding Episode II. I've successfully avoided almost every major spoiler/news update on the movie rumor sites on the net (something I didn't do for Episode One). I'm excited about the trailers. I hyped myself up too much for Episode One. I'm just now getting to the point where I really, really enjoy it. :)
Bring on Ep. 2, George!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks