What's new

Second Language (1 Viewer)

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I would like to learn a second language sometime in my lifetime. Watching foreign movies and HBO's band of brothers has increased my interest in learning a second language.
What language would you choose as your second language and why? I know that quite a few people on this forum are from a different country and thus already know a second language.
I guess I would choose Spanish. I've heard that Spanish is practically USA's second official language.
Jon

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Whats up with you Gilbert?
Anyway when I get around to it I would like to learn Sweedish as I have a lot of friends who live there and go there about twice a year on business. I've always wanted to learn another language but always find an excuse not to :)
------------------
-Nick Sievers
Nick's DVD's
2001 Film List

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Spanish is a good choice. Next is French.
------------------
Link Removed
------------------
My Favourite DVD's

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
Another vote for Spanish, then French
------------------
"A film, by Oleg Razgul"
"How was that?"
"That was great"

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I'm actually thinking about taking French for the sole purpose of watching films without subtitles. I do watch films in other languages, but French is by far the most common after English.
------------------
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Any smokers who want to accept the challenge of joining me in quitting? If so, click here

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
A vote for French. And then Russian.
~~Nathan
------------------
...just lost drunken men who don't know where they are and no longer care.

John Besse

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Does Pig Latin count as a second language. I would love to learn sign language with a few friends. I think you could really throw some people off with that. I also want to learn Spanish.
------------------
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I know a little bit of french but I still rely on subtitles when watching said films (though, I just watched "With A Friend Like Harry" last week and didn't need the subtitles at times), and would very much like to learn the language completely. Maybe even the Quebecian dialect, too. :)
Jay-Francias
------------------
Link Removed
[email protected] 2001 Film List I Am Jack's DVD List
"THERE IS...NO....BAND....and yet...we HEAR a band." Mulholland Drive

RicP

Screenwriter
I speak Spanish, German, and enough Japanese to be dangerous :)
I used to know French but lack of use has entropied my French muscles.
I'd love to learn Russian and Cantonese.
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Jon_B

Screenwriter
That's awesome Ric.
icon14.gif
How did you learn all those languages? Did you take special language classes, learn it on your own, go overseas and learn?
Jon

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
I started to learn French in high school (took 3 years but it didn't do any good because I still couldn't carry on a conversation in French).
After high school I lived overseas for a couple years in Taiwan and learned to speak Mandarin Chinese quite well. It's been a few years since I've used it so I'm beginning to forget it.
I'd like to learn German because I think it's the coolest sounding language, but I'm afraid that if I learn another language then I'll forget Mandarin completely (that's what happened with what little French I knew). I'm very fond of Mandarin and don't want to lose it completely. I can still almost keep up with the Chinese "soap operas" on TV, but I'm completely lost in the news. Even after my return home when my Chinese was still fresh I couldn't understand the Taiwan news broadcasts. They speak way too fast and use vocabulary I'm not familiar with. I'd say I'm "conversationally fluent."
In college I was going to minor in Mandarin, but my engineering courses were so demanding that I really couldn't dedicate the time I needed. So I began to learn to read and write Chinese, but have since completely forgotten what characters I did know. I was at a basic reading level when I quit.
------------------
Bill
biggrin.gif

mickey31.gif

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I've desperately wanted to learn German, so maybe I should get off my butt and get started. I agree, it is often the coolest sounding (I loved my trip to Germany) and I love the word structure.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I have a second language, Greek, my parents are Greek Cypriots, but my Greek isn't great.
What I really want is a good firm grasp of German (evil hand is typing this btw..),
if only so I won't have to reach for my little German/English book every time I get screamed at...
"Die Faterland...Die Faterland.."
[Edited last by Steve Christou on November 07, 2001 at 07:11 PM]

RicP

Screenwriter
That's awesome Ric. How did you learn all those languages? Did you take special language classes, learn it on your own, go overseas and learn
Thanks. :)
I learned Spanish and French in high school and college, German because my family is German and I took a course on it in College.
Japanese I essentially taught myself through study, the Pimsleur method, and lots & lots of anime and manga :)
Japanese is actually a lot easier than youd think it is, it's based on a syllabry rather than an alphabet. It is virtually impossible to mispronounce a word in Japanese, and the sentence structure is very loose.
German is very much like English, and ine can pick it up rather easily.
I have to really brush up on my French though :)
Once you get one language down (other than your native one), the rest come along fairly easy.
------------------
ricplate.jpg
ribbon.gif

Ric Perrott - My DVD's

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
How about a little Thai to go here folks?
biggrin.gif

But seriously, any European or Asian language will do.
------------------
"I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson
"Let's see, Matt Chmiel has Rini Bell, NickSO has Mena Suvari, John Williamson has Ivana Milisevic, and Steve Gon has Emmanuelle Beart...who the hell do I have???
"It's not Pikeville, Kentucky. It's Pikevool!!! And it's not Louisville, it's Loolvool!!! Get it right, damnit!!!"
My DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks