What's new

Seattle's Green River Killer to plead guilty to 48 murders (1 Viewer)

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Gary Ridgway, the accused "Green River Killer" from Seattle, Washington, is apparently planning to change his plea to guilty next Wednesday in exchange for King County prosecutors not seeking the dealth penalty against him. This will make him the person with the most murder convictions ever in the United States.

I have a particular fascination with this case, since I was raised in the Seattle area during the time the murders were going on during the early 1980s. I recall there was near-hysteria in Seattle as police kept discovering new bodies, sometimes several in one week. The victims were mostly young female prostitutes or runaways. The final "official" victim was found about 2 miles from my house, in the forest behind Panther Lake Elementary School. I think that was in 1989, but she had been murdered in 1984.

But the years went on, the body count seemed to dry up, and no one was ever charged with the crime. Books were written, and a lone detective continued working on the case, but I really felt, as did most people I'm sure, that they would never find their killer.

Finally last year, a man whom the police had pegged as their number one suspect since 1984 was arrested for four of the murders, linked by DNA from semen matched to a DNA sample he had given back in '84.

I was in the lunch room at work when I saw that report scroll by on CNN last year, and I RAN up the hall, all in a frenzy: "My God, they just arrested the Green River Killer!" I was out of breath, I was shaking. People were like, "What's the Green River Killer?"

I guess it's hard to explain my reaction if you didn't live in the Seattle area in the early 1980s, but this case CONSUMED the news media up there for years. It was at the top of the news EVERY DAY for months on end. I remember having a nightmare when I was a teenager that I knew who the killer was, he lived next door to me -- and he knew I knew who he was, so he was after me.

Then the case just seemed to dry up... They stopped finding bodies, the Green River Task Force disbanded, and there was little mention of the case for over a decade. To hear out of the blue that they'd made an arrest just knocked me for a loop.

The man they arrested, Gary Ridgway, had been questioned by police in 1982 when a pimp called police to say his "girlfriend" had climbed into a black pickup truck with a white primer spot to turn a trick, then the truck sped off and the girl disappeared. Her name was Marie Malvar.

The pimp and the girl's father drove around in the neighborhood where she'd disappeared and found the truck. They called the police, who went to the house and questioned the man living there, who claimed he'd never seen the girl before. That man was Gary Ridgway.

Two years later, Ridgway's name came up on a list of men who'd been arrested for prostitution, and among the many intriguing details in his background, police found that he'd NEVER reported to work at his night-shift job on any night that a Green River victim disappeared.

But they could never come up with anything more than circumstantial evidence, and he passed a lie detector test, so he remained free until the DNA test last year.

Several months ago, according to "sources within the prosecutor's office," Ridgway began secretly leading detectives to additional bodies as part of a plea deal. Four additional bodies have been discovered so far, women that had been on the Green River "missing" list, but had never been found. And after all these years, the body of Marie Malvar, the young woman who had climbed into his black truck, was finally found just last month.

Now the AP and other media outlets are reporting that he's prepared to plead guilty to all but seven of the "official" Green River victims, and will also confess to six others that were not on the Green River list -- including one in 1998, a case that had been ruled a drug overdose. (He apparently won't confess to anything outside of King County, where he's being charged.)

Anyway, I just think it's a terribly interesting case, and I wondered if anyone else had been following it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Now they should turn on the juice and let him have every volt of it.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Well, they can't... That's the deal -- full confession in exchange for no death penalty. And that's part of the current controversy surrounding the case.

But it doesn't rule out the possibility of a death penalty case in another county, if they could proven he was guilty.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Hopefully he'll pull a Dahmer and get himself killed soon after landing in prison.

I know the above sounds like an awful thing to say, folks, but my compassion meter doesn't work in cases like this.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I realize they cannot do it since they made the deal. It was just wishful thinking. Anyway, rotting in jail with a 150 year sentence might actually be worse than a quick demise. I'm sure, after admitting to 48 murders, that the guy will not be returning to society, except in another life......and that one would be as a maggot.

Brett Hancock

Supporting Actor
My mom was born and raised in the greater Puget Sound area and I remember her saying how scared every single women that she knew/worked with was during the whole thing back in the day. I was about 1-2 when the case dried up but I remember her telling me about it once. I was to young to grasp what she was saying but it's still creepy to think about now.

And I really don't want to get in a debate about this but adding one more death to the 48 doesn't make it just.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
A lot of people around here are pretty upset. If the green river killer doesn't get the death penalty, how can you possibly justify it for anybody else? I guess the moral of the story is that if you do enough crime, the death penalty doesn't apply.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
"What's the Green River Killer?"
My reaction exactly. I grew up around the Milwaukee area, so I was exposed heavily to the Dahmer phenomenon, and it seems he's a media sensation, but I'm amazed there haven't been more documentaries, or pieces on the news about this. Seems like it'd be big. I guess Scott Peterson is too important.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
There was a good L&O episode on this topic.

Disallowing the DP to allow closure for some families. Talk about King Solomon's choice, but helping the healing is more critical, I believe.

Jail will not be kind. Let us hope.

Take care,
Chuck

Noah Gottula

Stunt Coordinator
I also find it wierd that only people who live here in the Puget Sound region have ever heard of the Green River Killer. Although he might become more mainstream after the trial (made for tv movie?). But I never understand why criminals would rather spend their entire life behind bars as opposed to just ending it immediately. He will definately get messed with in a normal prison, so my bet is he will end up in some cushy prison where he gets to watch TV all day.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Scary stuff. I'm aware of the Green River Killer case, mostly due to A&E/TLC programming, and my wife's fascination with forensics.

It's amazing that after all this time, they got the SOB. It's even MORE amazing to me that he's able to dodge a death penalty by pleading guilty. Somehow that seems backwards to me...

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
Having grown up in the town where this nut was finally nabbed, I've been playing the 'Have-I-Walked-Past-This-Creep' game for the past few months. It's spooky, especially seeing that he isn't a wild-eyed loon, at least on the outside!

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Thanks, Jack. I was worried it was too long, but I guess not.

I also find it wierd that only people who live here in the Puget Sound region have ever heard of the Green River Killer.
Yeah, I just couldn't believe people here in L.A. hadn't heard of this guy. I mean, there was a NATIONAL television special on the case in late 1980s, hosted by Patrick Duffy, with "operators standing by" to take any information people had. No helpful Green River info came out of it -- but they did end up catching another murderer.

I guess this case hasn't received the noteriety of some others because, one, it went unsolved for SO long, so there's been no "main character" up till now. How do you write a book or make a TV movie that has no ending? And, aside from the astronomically high body count, there's nothing particularly unusual about the murders. He didn't eat his victims like Dahmer, didn't hold them captive and torture them, didn't dress up in a clown costume ala John Wayne Gacy, didn't target children like Wesley Allen Dodd, and certainly wasn't the good-looking, boy-next-door lawyer like Ted Bundy was. He's just your blue-collar "average Joe."

What is really interesting about Ridgway, aside from his ability to commit more murders despite being under POLICE SURVEILLANCE SINCE 1984 (ahem), is that he is forcing psychologists who study these killers to rethink their ideas of what makes them tick.

Prior to Ridgway, every expert would have told you that serial killers are not capable of long term relationships with women, yet Ridgway has been married for over a decade, had several children, and by all accounts is a fine husband and father. They would have told you they have problems holding down a job and are drifters, yet Ridgway had been working the same job for the same company for over 30 years.

According to police, when they arrested him at work last year and told him what he was accused of, he simply shrugged, non-committal, and said, "Okay," like they were taking him for a walk in the park. Didn't even flinch.

Guess that explains how he passed his lie detector test all those years ago.

Hugh Jackes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Hugh Jackes
I guess this case hasn't received the noteriety of some others because, one, it went unsolved for SO long, so there's been no "main character" up till now. How do you write a book or make a TV movie that has no ending?
Not to be contrary Brian, but there must be another reason why this story never got much national press. San Francisco's Zodiak Killer was never apprehended; the stream of victims just slowed to a stop. Why has everybody heard of the Zodiak, but most people haven't heard of the Green River killer?

Brian, I, for one, was aware of the Green River Killer, having read articles about the killings when he was active (I was living in suburban Maryland at the time, those articles were in the Washington Post). I was stunned a few months ago to see an article in the LA Times about the police suddenly "finding" victims. The article included speculation that the suspect, Ridgeway, was directing the police in exchange for a deal. (I must have missed the news of his arrest, because I was surprised to see that the police had arrested someone.) I was disgusted then and I am disgusted now about the deal, but I can still see the benefits for the families who had lived for years just not knowing for sure.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I knew about the Green River killer even though I lived in Sweden, but that was just because I liked the band Green River. :)

I'm really glad they caught him, and I hope some of the victims families will find some closure. I don't like these bargains the prosecutors make with criminals.

Jacinto

Second Unit
Real Name
Jacinto
How do you write a book or make a TV movie that has no ending?
Just like Roderick Thorpe did with River. I'm actually a little disappointed to hear about the resolution of this case. Thorpe's fictional account of the killings and why the case remained unsolved was so good that I really wanted it to be true. For any of you with an interest in this case, and in interest in superb novels, I can't recommend his book enough.

I was just discussing this case with my wife about a month ago. She had never heard of the Green River Killer, and she was a bit shocked that she had never even heard mention of America's most prolific serial killer, even if he was still an unidentified figure.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
San Francisco's Zodiak Killer was never apprehended; the stream of victims just slowed to a stop. Why has everybody heard of the Zodiak, but most people haven't heard of the Green River killer?
Right, but there was something really unusual about the Zodiac case: he taunted the police in letters to the San Francisco Chronicle and wrote anagrams. The Green River Killer did nothing sensationalistic like that... he just quietly killed and killed. And most of the bodies were discovered months or years after they were murdered, which may take away some of the shock factor, making the case less memorable.

I'm not saying that's the only reason, but if you look at the famous serial killer cases, most of them had some really unique twist or angle that sticks out in your mind, which, aside from the huge number of victims, the Green River case does not.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor
I've been listening to live coverage of the court proceeding in which he is currently pleading guilty. the prosecutors are being extremely careful to cross their I's and dot their T's. They submitted a 16 page summary, most of which was written by Ridegway himself. They were still reading it when I arrived at work. It's both fascinating and sickening to hear it read.

According to the prosecutor, most of the victims families are happy with the plea agreement, but admit that many are not. They did point out, however, that without it Ridgeway would only be charger with 7 murders (vs. the 48 he currently admitting to). There are still 6 or 7 more green river victims to which he is pleading not guilty because the murders occurred in a different county where the plea agreement has no affect.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
It's amazing how little national coverage there's been. I've never seen any mention of the case on courttv.com. Sure we get tons of Kobe, Laci Peterson, and Robert Blake, but nothing on one of the most prolific and heinous serial killers in history. Ridgeway must feel slighted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks