What's new

Searching the Origin Story of a Film... (1 Viewer)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
One thing I love to do, when I have the time that is, is to take a title like the Prisoner of Zenda for example. And start watching from the very first silent versions and move forward thru the various reinterpitations, seeing how others reinvent the story, characters etc.
I guess it started with a comparison study, back in the day, between Akira Kurisawa's Yojimbo/Sangiro with Sergio Leone's Fist Full of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. Two amazing directors, and a true homage, one to the other. In this case almost going shot for shot to the original films. Also the application of Samuria to Westerns is pretty obvious to most, but again, by doing this fun study, I got a deeper appreciation of both films and both genres, even more.
What have you experianced by doing this for yourself? Another fun one is Kurisawa's Hidden Fortress to Lucas' Starwars:New Hope...

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
These were fun!!

Attachments

• 410kM1T7noL.jpg
    410kM1T7noL.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 7d036bd6-4628-45ad-bd10-fd3243f85045.f12faed23db0eeb2e262a6959ae0b977.jpeg
    7d036bd6-4628-45ad-bd10-fd3243f85045.f12faed23db0eeb2e262a6959ae0b977.jpeg
    83 KB · Views: 21
  • 5a843e0c6885b_265138b.jpg
    5a843e0c6885b_265138b.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 22

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Just did this with the three versions of THE LAST OF MTS. CHEYNEY, and a while back with both versions of CRAIG'S WIFE. Having stocked up on a huge number of the early Warner Archive releases is a big help.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
and your personal favorite? Least liked?
with the Prisonor of Zenda thy were all good in thier way. Each brought a unique pesentation to the same storyline, not better just different. Wether it was Ramone Navarro's depiction the slimy Count Rupert or Douglas Fairbanks Jrs arrigant portrayal or the great and debonair James Masons rendition, all were wonderfull in thier own way.
Least like?? Not yet....

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Just did this with the three versions of THE LAST OF MTS. CHEYNEY, and a while back with both versions of CRAIG'S WIFE. Having stocked up on a huge number of the early Warner Archive releases is a big help.
It does give you insights into each films ability to storytell, in thier own way.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Regarding "Prisoner of Zenda": A long time ago, at the old Los Angeles Philharmonic Auditorium, the Los Angeles Civic Light Opera mounted a musical version of "Zenda". It starred Alfred Drake and Chita Rivera. I remember it as colorful, amusing, with interesting music by Vernon Duke. I think, though memory is dim on this, that the production had beautiful and extensive scenery. I enjoyed it. Something must have happened though, because I don't think it opened in New York, and to the best of my knowledge it wasn't recorded. If anyone has any other information, I'd be interested. I have read about it in Ken Mandelbaum's book "Not Since Carrie".

Attachments

• Zenda.jpg
    Zenda.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 19

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Regarding "Prisoner of Zenda": A long time ago, at the old Los Angeles Philharmonic Auditorium, the Los Angeles Civic Light Opera mounted a musical version of "Zenda". It starred Alfred Drake and Chita Rivera. I remember it as colorful, amusing, with interesting music by Vernon Duke. I think, though memory is dim on this, that the production had beautiful and extensive scenery. I enjoyed it. Something must have happened though, because I don't think it opened in New York, and to the best of my knowledge it wasn't recorded. If anyone has any other information, I'd be interested. I have read about it in Ken Mandelbaum's book "Not Since Carrie".
Peter Sellars did a funny spoof on POZ, it had some fun moments too!!

Attachments

• 5a843e0c6885b_265138b.jpg
    5a843e0c6885b_265138b.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 18

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
it's better to view the full movies together but this was a nice comparitive summation of Yojimbo vs Fist Full of Dollars -

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The Various Robin Hood tales seemed to digress over time but still is reflective of the eras in which they were produced...Errol Flynn is my favorite version, the cast is so classic!!

Attachments

• 1*Cr1T0lnTC5j009a7uwrAhw.png
    1*Cr1T0lnTC5j009a7uwrAhw.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • 919ZGQ7yNmL._SL1500_.jpg
    919ZGQ7yNmL._SL1500_.jpg
    312.8 KB · Views: 18

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I just got the silent version of Scaramouche 1923, I was familure with the Stewart Granger 1952 all star cast feature and searched for an earlier version...have not done this yet, but will this weekend.

Attachments

• affiche.jpg
    affiche.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 41kUekknWNL.jpg
    41kUekknWNL.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 18

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
In researching movie and TV rendishens of The Count of Monte Cristo I found 27 different movies. Either direct title or the popular son of, return of, ect. And starting in 1912 adaptation and running to the 2002 version with Jim Caviezel, one of thre modern favorites of mine. Man, this would be a major marathon for sure!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks