What's new

SCRUBS DVD...please? (1 Viewer)

Jake Johnson

Second Unit
I love Scrubs. I want to have its babies. The one thing I want more than its babies is to have it on DVD. Any news of when this might happen?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
No news, but I also want this on DVD. Guessing here, but I don't see it happenning for a while, though. Search on older threads for ideas from other HTF members as to why.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
I would also like to have its babies and have it on DVD. Please, please, please!!!

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Reposted from something I put in a different yet similar thread.

OK . Quick lesson "How TV shows actually make money in the U.S."

Producers lose money or break even on shows during their network broadcast run. The producer's only goal is to hit five seasons (more recently four and then one additional) so that the potential buyers have enough episodes to run the show in syndication 5 days a week. This is where they actually make money on the program. Therefore, it is unlikely that a show will hit DVD in R1 before a syndication deal has been signed and the episodes have run in syndication. (See examples: The West Wing, Buffy, Friends, etc.)

Certain shows will be released on DVD earlier for one of the following reasons: 1) The show will not translate well to syndication because it is a long story arc that people can't understand if they miss an episode (See 24, Alias).
2) The show has a decent following, but not good enough to to guarantee that a network will keep it on for 5 seasons, therefore, it needs to make people aware (See Alias, 24, Angel)or 3) THe syndication deal really stinks (See SportsNight)

There are anomalies to these rules, such as CSI Seasons 1 and 2 being released before the end of Season 4. However, they did get full syndication runs on TNN (now Spike) before they were released.

Sit-coms are very syndication friendly because they usually self-contained, don't need to shown in order and have high rewatchability factors. I would seriously doubt we will see Scrubs before it completes Season 4 and has had at least 1 runs in syndication. BUt that is just my opinion I could be wrong.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Since DVD releases can also be massively popular and many shows seem to be doing okay in syndication even when released on DVD. I was under the impression that even popular shows may release on DVD then syndicate anyway. Besides your CSI example, there's Malcolm in the Middle, whch isn't syndicated yet, but we know where it's going.

Plus there are premium cable shows which just aren't suitable for syndication. (The Sopranos, Six Feet Under)

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Dan, I can't tell if you are trying to dispute my point or if you agree with it.

As you pointed out HBO shows are going to work well in syndication (even though they are going to try it) because they will be cut for nudity and language. Therefore, there is more money in releasing them on DVD.

Other than Malcolm in the Middle, which I don't watch and haven't followed its ratings or syndication process, I challenge you to name me any semi-popular to popular sit-com that went to DVD before syndication. It would be counter productive to the goal (ie make the most money possible).

Yes, Friends is heavily watched on TV even though the 1st couple of seasons have been released on DVD, but they cut not one, but two syndication deals before they did so. I guarantee the next syndication deal will be for a lot less money.

Seinfeld, which hasn't been released on DVD yet, cut its 3rd syndication deal with TBS a couple months. I predicted then and still contend that despite rumors of DVD preparation, Seinfeld will not be released until the 3rd syndication deal has begun to run.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
Mark, pretty much all other currently popular sitcoms were already in syndication which TV on DVD became popular about 2 years ago. SO it's not really a fair test. And what's the bar for popularity? Do Son of the Beach Strangers with Candy count?

Tony_Ramos

Second Unit
Wow, I love scrubs too. I don't know if it's just me & my friends, but the Scrubs characters are just as immature as we are sometimes, and make similar jokes. they're just big kids at heart. I also always love how there is a good "growing up" lesson at the end that ties in all the subplots. John Ritter's son is the highlight of the show in my opinion. I love how we get into the characters psyches through their fantasies and fears. Fially, I think the show is a lot more indicative and provides more poignant moments than ER of what it must be like to work in a hospital.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I was just thinking I'd like to see Scrubs on DVD as I was watching tonight's episode. Like many of you, I missed most of the first season but now I never miss it.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I've really been enjoying Scrubs. I hope the DVD is soon to come. I really appreciate the music and the lack of laugh track. I assume they have cleared all rights for video.

I'd buy Scrubs S1 in a heartbeat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks