What's new

Press Release Scream Factory Press Release: The Day The World Ended (1955) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I was doing some research on this and every source I have come across says this film was composed for 2.00 and a couple say 1.85. I read some comments on another film thread discussion and The opening title of the film in 2.35:1 is cropped very tightly. Also The American Releasing film credit at the end of the film is cut off from the bottom in the 2.35 version which would indicate that this is not the correct ratio. They also point out some of the shots present extra info at top and bottom and sides at times but at other times the 2.35 appears pushed to the left so its strange.
Supposedly in the early 60's AIP re-released some of their early films in 2.35:1. Glen Erickson mentions seeing a theatrical screening of Machine Gun Kelly in 2.35:1 even though the original ratio when it was released in the 50's was 1.85. So the belief is the 2.35 version of Day the World ended came from a 1960's reissue but the original Superscope release was 2.00. Corman probably framed the film in 1.85 since nearly all the 50's AIP films were done in this ratio.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
From the trailer on YouTube about 1.33.
1dt.jpg

Trailer cropped to 2.0
1dtc.jpg

From the movie on YouTube about 1.80
1dc4.jpg

Attachments

• 1dt.jpg
    1dt.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 28

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Weird that the opening titles are cropped on the sides then opened up later.
1641690156637.png

From the 2.35 DVD
1dot235.jpg

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Bottom line: keep the DVD. Even though the physical print they used has some splices (a few in the company logo up front, a couple more when Denning is carrying Ratick), it provides a better representation of the movie than the cropped 2:1 BD does. Wide composition is very important to DAY THE WORLD ENDED, and it should be correctly presented.
The sound levels aren't good on the Lionsgate DVD. Another one where you need to crank it up near maximum. Almost all blu rays have a much better robust sound than many DVDs. I will keep my DVD copy for now, mainly because "The She Creature" is also on the DVD and there is no blu ray of that yet. I haven't looked at the blu of "Day The World Ended" yet, but will soon. I can't comment on the aspect ratio DVD vs. blu since I haven't been able to compare the two myself.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Bottom line: keep the DVD. Even though the physical print they used has some splices (a few in the company logo up front, a couple more when Denning is carrying Ratick), it provides a better representation of the movie than the cropped 2:1 BD does. Wide composition is very important to DAY THE WORLD ENDED, and it should be correctly presented.
Some will say, "Ah, who cares, it's not the end of the world..." But it is!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
From Wikipedia - Hart now owns the rights to 11 movies made by her late husband's company: It Conquered the World (1956) and its 1966 remake Zontar, The Thing from Venus, Invasion of the Saucer Men (1957) and its 1965 remake The Eye Creatures, I Was a Teenage Frankenstein (1957), I Was a Teenage Werewolf (1957), The Amazing Colossal Man (1957), Terror from the Year 5000 (1958), Apache Woman (1955), The Oklahoma Woman (1956) and Naked Paradise (1957).
I'd love to see a 2-fer BRD release of Invasion of the Saucermen & the Larry Buchanan abominationversion The Eye Creatures!!! and secondly do both of the "I was a teenage..." as another BRD 2-fer!! And lastly, that amazing classic It Counquered the World with that funky creature alien by Paul Blaisdale!!!

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I have the DVD and it looks better than whoever uploaded it to YouTube.

IFC broadcast
1643663004425.png

DVD
1dw.jpg

1643663996256.png

1dwe.jpg

Attachments

• 1dw.jpg
    1dw.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks