What's new

Press Release Scream Factory Press Release: The Brain Eaters (1958) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
271981422_2397131487090515_8487582544238533241_n.jpg

Today we add another deep cut, obscure & wild film to our Scream Factory™ family for the first time on Blu-ray: THE BRAIN EATERS.
It will be available on our site exclusively! Only 1,500 will be manufactured. It’s in stock and ready to ship now, so order while they last as they are expected to sell out.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-brain-eaters...

THE BRAIN EATERS (1958): When a strange structure emerges from the earth in a small Illinois town, scientist Dr. Paul Kettering is sent to investigate its mysterious origins and purpose. Kettering soon discovers the shocking truth: the object houses subterranean parasites capable of controlling the minds of anyone by attaching themselves at their necks. With the citizenry slowly infiltrated and overtaken and the town cut off from the outside world, Kettering and a small band of those left unenslaved must take on the insurmountable task of halting this menacing invasion from spreading. Starring Ed Nelson (Peyton Place) and Joanna Lee (Plan 9 From Outer Space) and featuring a cameo by Leonard Nimoy (Star Trek), The Brain Eaters is a spellbinding science-fiction nightmare!
Region A. Includes new 2K HD transfer of a fine grain print. English Subtitles.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
View attachment 125548

Today we add another deep cut, obscure & wild film to our Scream Factory™ family for the first time on Blu-ray: THE BRAIN EATERS.
It will be available on our site exclusively! Only 1,500 will be manufactured. It’s in stock and ready to ship now, so order while they last as they are expected to sell out.

https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/the-brain-eaters...

THE BRAIN EATERS (1958): When a strange structure emerges from the earth in a small Illinois town, scientist Dr. Paul Kettering is sent to investigate its mysterious origins and purpose. Kettering soon discovers the shocking truth: the object houses subterranean parasites capable of controlling the minds of anyone by attaching themselves at their necks. With the citizenry slowly infiltrated and overtaken and the town cut off from the outside world, Kettering and a small band of those left unenslaved must take on the insurmountable task of halting this menacing invasion from spreading. Starring Ed Nelson (Peyton Place) and Joanna Lee (Plan 9 From Outer Space) and featuring a cameo by Leonard Nimoy (Star Trek), The Brain Eaters is a spellbinding science-fiction nightmare!
Region A. Includes new 2K HD transfer of a fine grain print. English Subtitles.
This is great to have these remastered Editions coming from Shout Factory. So many of these are languishing in the ghetto of late night movies. Shout factory has done some nice and relivent titles like, Day the Word Ended, Attack of the Crab Monsters, The Giant Mantis, Monster on Campus and this new wonderfest!! Get the popcorn ready!! Kudos to Shout Factory!!
It's almost like aspects of this film were ripped off and remade very bady (in a hilarious way) in the form know as "The Creeping Terror"...be afraid....be very Afraid!! ;)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I was all set to order this yesterday until I saw this was listed as 1.37:1 which is the incorrect aspect ratio for a 1958 film. All these 50's AIP films were framed at 1.85 with a couple being released as 2.00 superscope so this is unfortunate if true. They are getting alot of questions about this on their website and facebook. Some think it is an error in their listing but they have not said anything about it so I'm not so sure since they already pressed these. Its an instant purchase for me if its in the correct widescreen ratio and a definite pass if its not. It is widescreen on their streaming tv channel and on youtube but those are not the new HD master.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Just bought the DVD off eBay for $10 plus shipping. Can't see spending that amount of money.
I currently also have one of those off market discs, because this title was never released in the US. A bad copy is better than no copy. But if you collect this genre of films, and want the best quality of that title, drop your money...because once the 1500 copies are gone, you'll be paying crazing money for them once they're out of print. Like many of the Twilight Time Ltd. Eds, what was 20-30 dollars becomes 80-260+ dollars very quickly!!!
I can understand, we all have our aquistion priorities, and if this genre of films is not your cup of Monster, no worries...but if it is? The old moto still holds true, You snooze, you Lose!!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I was all set to order this yesterday until I saw this was listed as 1.37:1 which is the incorrect aspect ratio for a 1958 film. All these 50's AIP films were framed at 1.85 with a couple being released as 2.00 superscope so this is unfortunate if true. They are getting alot of questions about this on their website and facebook. Some think it is an error in their listing but they have not said anything about it so I'm not so sure since they already pressed these. Its an instant purchase for me if its in the correct widescreen ratio and a definite pass if its not. It is widescreen on their streaming tv channel and on youtube but those are not the new HD master.
my suggestion is go to the source, Shout Factory, and simply ASK? They have a great customer service and very knowledgable staff. Rather than speculating and quoting questionable sources, it's always better to go diectly to the company releasing the title.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
my suggestion is go to the source, Shout Factory, and simply ASK? They have a great customer service and very knowledgable staff. Rather than speculating and quoting questionable sources, it's always better to go diectly to the company releasing the title.
They have many questions on this on their website and facebook since early yesterday when it was announced and so far they have not commented at all. I believe it was a mistake and since they are already pressed they are not commenting. I hope I'm wrong and I will order it if I am but that does not appear to be the case. Odd that they have it streaming on their site in widescreen and no one noticed the master they were given for this was incorrect.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
They have many questions on this on their website and facebook since early yesterday when it was announced and so far they have not commented at all. I believe it was a mistake and since they are already pressed they are not commenting. I hope I'm wrong and I will order it if I am but that does not appear to be the case. Odd that they have it streaming on their site in widescreen and no one noticed the master they were given for this was incorrect.
Again, just ask!! Not a hard thing...

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I currently also have one of those off market discs, because this title was never released in the US. A bad copy is better than no copy. But if you collect this genre of films, and want the best quality of that title, drop your money...because once the 1500 copies are gone, you'll be paying crazing money for them once they're out of print. Like many of the Twilight Time Ltd. Eds, what was 20-30 dollars becomes 80-260+ dollars very quickly!!!
I can understand, we all have our aquistion priorities, and if this genre of films is not your cup of Monster, no worries...but if it is? The old moto still holds true, You snooze, you Lose!!!

I have so many movies in sci-fi/horror, they number in the thousands. Again, how I missed this I don't know.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Just bought the DVD off eBay for $10 plus shipping. Can't see spending that amount of money.
I have the copy from Sinister Cinema. It's okay, but I might get this blu. It is good to see another AIP title out. I hope a few more, at least the ones not owned by Susan Hart, become available.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I have the copy from Sinister Cinema. It's okay, but I might get this blu. It is good to see another AIP title out. I hope a few more, at least the ones not owned by Susan Hart, become available.
This would be an instant purchase by me if it was being presented OAR but since they are ignoring the growing numbers of questions and concerns about this I think its becoming clearer that this release is not. I will stick with the fuzzy presentations that are OAR.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
"I was all set to order this yesterday until I saw this was listed as 1.37:1 which is the incorrect aspect ratio for a 1958 film. All these 50's AIP films were framed at 1.85 with a couple being released as 2.00 superscope"...yet I see this?
and according to Google under this title was:
Details
Aspect Ratio1.37:1
DescriptorsUnited States, 35mm, Black & White, Mono, Literary Adaptation
StudiosAmerican International Pictures
Production CompaniesCorinthian Productions
and here as well, showing the original aspect ratio for this film was 1.37:1 - https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Brain-Eaters-Blu-ray/309478/

So I'd ask where you information is coming from? Because appairently for this film, it is being released in the OAR when released in 1958. Chances are it could have been altured for the Drive-In crowd, But from what I'm seeing this was the OAR for this film....I bought a copy!!

Last edited:

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
"I was all set to order this yesterday until I saw this was listed as 1.37:1 which is the incorrect aspect ratio for a 1958 film. All these 50's AIP films were framed at 1.85 with a couple being released as 2.00 superscope"...yet I see this?
and according to Google under this title was:
Details
Aspect Ratio1.37:1
DescriptorsUnited States, 35mm, Black & White, Mono, Literary Adaptation
StudiosAmerican International Pictures
Production CompaniesCorinthian Productions
and here as well, showing the original aspect ratio for this film was 1.37:1 - https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Brain-Eaters-Blu-ray/309478/

So I'd ask where you information is coming from? Because appairently for this film, it is being released in the OAR when released in 1958. Chances are it could have been altured for the Drive-In crowd, But from what I'm seeing this was the OAR for this film....I bought a copy!!
IMDB is frequently wrong particularly when it comes to aspect ratios they usually add it from the 1st home video release that comes out. If you read the articles from Widescreen history on the other thread of this film you will see studios switched to all widescreen films in 1954 and stopped using 1.37:1. by around 1956 or 1957 all theaters except for a few art house theaters had upgraded to widescreens. So no major theaters were showing new films in 1.37 in 1958. All of the 50's AIP films were framed for 1.85 with a few being released in superscope 2.00. This release has the incorrect ratio and its not the 1st time Scream has made these type of mistakes. They were going to release Attack of the Puppet People in 1.37 until enough fans pointed out the error and they corrected it to 1.85. But for this film the discs are already pressed so that is most likely why they are being silent on the issue. No sale for me unless they offer replacement discs.
Bluray.dot is simply posting the release information from the studio they are not stating that is the correct ratio.
Shout Factory is even streaming the film in 1.85 on their tv streaming channel but that is not the new master.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
just got this update from Shout Facotry, involving this title for you, on the questions on OAR -
Hi Todd,
It sounds like BRAIN EATERS is actually 1.85. We will have to update the info on our site.

Regarding DAY THE WORLD ENDED, our release is listed as a 1:2.00 aspect ratio and our master is 1:2.00. This was the actual aspect ratio for Superscope productions, though what I'm reading is that they could also be easily converted to Cinemascope (1:2.35) projection, so this title may have screened theatrically in some locations in a wider aspect ratio, and also, some previous home media releases appear to have chosen to release in 2.35.

Customer Service
Shout! Factory

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks