What's new

Press Release Scream Factory Press Release: The Brain Eaters (1958) (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
What titles are you looking for?
The other ones that they should have access to are:
She Creature
Blood of Dracula
Voodoo Woman
Machine Gun Kelly
Teenage Caveman

Of course the most wanted 50's AIP films still belong to Susan Hart:
I was a Teenage Werewolf
I was a Teenage Frankenstein
The Amazing Colossal Man
It Conquered The World
Invasion of the Saucer Men

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I would anticipate more of them under the limited edition banner. Better than not at all sitting around gathering dust !
She Creature, Teenage Caveman and Viking Women and the Sea Serpent are the ones I want the most - to replace the DVDs :)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
She Creature
Blood of Dracula
Voodoo Woman
Machine Gun Kelly
Teenage Caveman

I was a Teenage Werewolf
The Amazing Colossal Man
It Conquered The World
we are definatly on the same page, I wonder who has the rights to Cape Canaveral Monsters or Monsters A Go-Go, The Creeping Terror, Teenage Zombies, Frankenstein meets the Space Monster? I know many others are in the Wade Williams Collection, it seems TVDetective is releasing many from the WWC, and doing a great job so far...their release Mission to Mars is super!! Fingers crossed, it's wonderful to see these fondu-fests in such fine shape. I'm happy to see that other care about all of these under appreciated slices of time and innocence...
flight-to-mars

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
She Creature
Blood of Dracula
Voodoo Woman
Machine Gun Kelly
Teenage Caveman

I was a Teenage Werewolf
The Amazing Colossal Man
It Conquered The World
Those ones mentioned. As well as The Undead and maybe Night Of The Blood Beast.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
we are definatly on the same page, I wonder who has the rights to Cape Canaveral Monsters or Monsters A Go-Go, The Creeping Terror, Teenage Zombies, Frankenstein meets the Space Monster? I know many others are in the Wade Williams Collection, it seems TVDetective is releasing many from the WWC, and doing a great job so far...their release Mission to Mars is super!! Fingers crossed, it's wonderful to see these fondu-fests in such fine shape. I'm happy to see that other care about all of these under appreciated slices of time and innocence...
flight-to-mars
I hope Kronos, Brain From Planet Arous and The Hideous Sun Demon are coming also. The DVDs aren't terrible, but those audio levels aren't good. I have to crank up the volume settings. Should be better.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I hope Kronos, Brain From Planet Arous and The Hideous Sun Demon are coming also. The DVDs aren't terrible, but those audio levels aren't good. I have to crank up the volume settings. Should be better.
Those are with Wade Williams. The Film Detective has a deal with him, we can only hope those titles make the cut ! :)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
The one I'm waiting for is KRONOS. The SD is non-anamorphic and is hideous looking as were all the original nons, but it's all we got! I remember selling all of my nons years ago. Waiting for KRONOS to be upgraded but never was.
I feel your pain!!! I quess timing and the condition of the film elements are key to successfuly restoring the titles...I'd love all of these to get the love ther deserve!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
just a heads up, Film Detectiveis going to release another on of favoite flicks, Monster from Green Hell, coming soon!!!

Attachments

• Monster from Green Hell Blu-ray.jpg
    Monster from Green Hell Blu-ray.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 50

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I did a first time viewing of The Brain Eaters today. By "first time" I mean totally a first time viewing as I've never seen this one before on any format. I must say up front that it received a far better release than it deserves. The film itself is pretty bad, more a "Z" than "B" film. One of those that makes some of Roger Corman's early works look like high art.

So... It's, essentially, a rip off of Robert Heinlein's "The Puppet Masters" with *lots* of shortcuts in the story telling. But... those of us who have a love of grade "B" or lower SF/Horror titles of the 50s really don't care about such trivialities as plot, logic, and "quality" vfx. You know you're likely in for a rough ride when the first 5 or so minutes of a film is mostly narration.

That said, this film looks absolutely splendid in this release. Blacks appear solid, little to no crush, and whites do not bloom. There's a good contrast range on display and the grain is there as it should be (and quite unobtrusive even in the darker scenes). The audio levels are quite good and legible. It has SDH (I used this option but didn't need it as the voices are clear and understandable). It's also in its proper aspect ratio. There's a still from the film on the inside cover (no - it's not reversable - bummer). Shout! did a very good job.

Overpriced? Yes - it's from Shout!
Essential? No. OK... depends on your love of that era's SF/Horror films. For me, it *is* essential.
Fun? Yes! In spite of the rather poor story telling on display.

If you're a collector of 50s SF/Horror films then get this ordered today if you've not yet done so. You won't regret it.

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I just got a chance to watch the Brain Eaters, although not at the level of classics like Invaders From Mars, the film was nicely restored. For a B&W feature, it is the cleanest I have ever seen it. The restoration, especially during the night sequenses are nicely balenced and crisp.

I saw one review of the DVD that said that they should have called it "Invasion of the Bunny Slippers" ;) - And Leonard Nimoy did add a little somethng in the mix...
With all of the voiceover dialog it felt more like an upscaled Creeping Terror rather than a 20 million Miles to Earth.
Do I appreciate having this in my collection YES. Is it worth $26 bucks - NO.
Did they do a great job in the restoration definatly YES!!
Would I reccomend it Yes but see if the price comes down a bit, but don't wait long...it will go OOP like the Attack of the Crab Monsters did. If you are into these joyfully cheesey Sci-Fi classics...do what you gotta do!!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I did a first time viewing of The Brain Eaters today. By "first time" I mean totally a first time viewing as I've never seen this one before on any format. I must say up front that it received a far better release than it deserves. The film itself is pretty bad, more a "Z" than "B" film. One of those that makes some of Roger Corman's early works look like high art.

So... It's, essentially, a rip off of Robert Heinlein's "The Puppet Masters" with *lots* of shortcuts in the story telling. But... those of us who have a love of grade "B" or lower SF/Horror titles of the 50s really don't care about such trivialities as plot, logic, and "quality" vfx. You know you're likely in for a rough ride when the first 5 or so minutes of a film is mostly narration.

That said, this film looks absolutely splendid in this release. Blacks appear solid, little to no crush, and whites do not bloom. There's a good contrast range on display and the grain is there as it should be (and quite unobtrusive even in the darker scenes). The audio levels are quite good and legible. It has SDH (I used this option but didn't need it as the voices are clear and understandable). It's also in its proper aspect ratio. There's a still from the film on the inside cover (no - it's not reversable - bummer). Shout! did a very good job.

Overpriced? Yes - it's from Shout!
Essential? No. OK... depends on your love of that era's SF/Horror films. For me, it *is* essential.
Fun? Yes! In spite of the rather poor story telling on display.

If you're a collector of 50s SF/Horror films then get this ordered today if you've not yet done so. You won't regret it.
I know kino's not big on Bonus materials but gee, for $30 you'd think there'd be at lease a commentary or original trailer...something?!!

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I just got a chance to watch the Brain Eaters, although not at the level of classics like Invaders From Mars, the film was nicely restored. For a B&W feature, it is the cleanest I have ever seen it. The restoration, especially during the night sequenses are nicely balenced and crisp.

I saw one review of the DVD that said that they should have called it "Invasion of the Bunny Slippers" ;) - And Leonard Nimoy did add a little somethng in the mix...
With all of the voiceover dialog it felt more like an upscaled Creeping Terror rather than a 20 million Miles to Earth.
Do I appreciate having this in my collection YES. Is it worth $26 bucks - NO.
Did they do a great job in the restoration definatly YES!!
Would I reccomend it Yes but see if the price comes down a bit, but don't wait long...it will go OOP like the Attack of the Crab Monsters did. If you are into these joyfully cheesey Sci-Fi classics...do what you gotta do!!

Buy it from eBay on SD full frame. I'll use that money saved for buying BDs of THE DAY THE WORLD ENDED/FROM HELL IT CAME!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks