What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve heard that before and honestly, I don’t buy it for a millisecond.

Regardless, in one of the behind the scenes interviews he did, he stated that the other writers in the writers room decided to reintroduce that planet in the earlier episodes to tease him, and he went with it.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I’ve heard that before and honestly, I don’t buy it for a millisecond. He is the showrunner, writer and director of the episode and had 4 seasons worth of references to tip his hat towards yet he picks the one with his own name. When it happened on Enterprise, it was someone else giving a nod to a staffer, which is fine and very easy to miss. You'd have to really pay attention to get it and it was more for the staff than us. It came up in earlier episodes this season, but doing it repeatedly left a bad taste for me. It's like Ron Moore's obvious cameo in the Battlestar Galactica Finale.

Put it in a different context. If Nimbus III was named Shatner 7, fans would have been all over Bill like white on rice.

Nah, it was too obscure to be an Enterprise reference and too obviously the executive producers own name.
Yeah, no. You're welcome to your opinion, but I don't agree.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Regardless, in one of the behind the scenes interviews he did, he stated that the other writers in the writers room decided to reintroduce that planet in the earlier episodes to tease him, and he went with it.
Going with it once is fine. Putting it in yet again in the episode you wrote and directed sends a different message. Sorry, it just rubbed me wrong.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This was as worthy a reunion as there has ever been. It's a far more fitting end to these characters than Nemesis ever could be. This had quality writing and great performances from the cast that's spent 35 years with these characters. Sure, certain aspects could have been better, but overall, this is a 10/10.

Museum Pieces

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Skylar
Going with it once is fine. Putting it in yet again in the episode you wrote and directed sends a different message. Sorry, it just rubbed me wrong.
Completely agree. When Scotty tells Washburn in THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE to do something, Scotty was using the name of the first Black first assistant director in Hollywood (who served on season one of TOS). That's worthy of a name drop. As the showrunner, having your name dropped in the series you are already credited on multiple times struck me as odd when it happened once. When it happened multiple times...sheesh. How about using one of those opportunities to drop the name of someone who gave you your start in the business?

I think it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Here's something interesting... a "virtual" look at several bridges for The Enterprise:

The interface is a bit clunky and it's not as fully realized as I'd like but is kind of neat to peruse. You also can't "tour" a bridge in the sense I was expecting (walking around and closely examining everything) - just limited scrolling functions.

Here's the article that lead me to the "virtual tour" site:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I was watching Star Trek IV over the weekend and thinking it was a shame we never saw Gillian again
She was used - out of canon - in a fantastic Graphic Novel "Debt of Honor."
DoH.jpg

I wasn't crazy about her character, so I was happy to see her go off to parts unknown at the end.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
There was a lot of story potential in having someone from the 20th century thrust into the 23rd. Shades of Buck Rodgers. Surprised no one every followed up on that character in film or print. I liked the character myself.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
There was a lot of story potential in having someone from the 20th century thrust into the 23rd. Shades of Buck Rodgers. Surprised no one every followed up on that character in film or print. I liked the character myself.
Oh she was touched upon in non-canon books and such.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
If any character had her potential squandered, it was Carol Marcus. I guess I understand Harve Bennett's reasoning for not including her in STIII, but she should have been in the 23rd century portions of STIV. I would have even taken a cameo in a mind meld sequence in Star Trek V. I know the original plan was to have her in #6 but I really wanted to see the fall out over David.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Just stumbled onto this. I am always happy when Star Trek III gets some love from fans. It is always unfairly lumped into the "odd numbered films" curse when it was actually a very good movie and remains my favorite of the film series. Even many critics of the time compared it favorably to Star Trek II. New York Newsday gave it three stars vs the two and a half of the previous film.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
The only problem I really see with ST III is that it is really dependent on the previous film and the original series in order to fully enjoy it. There are numerous callbacks to the original episodes, and the plot of the story - from David to Genesis to Spock - depends on the viewer having seen TWOK.

Other than not being a stand-alone film, ST III is one of the more enjoyable trips through the Star Trek universe.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I have a few minor issues with ST:III but, overall, think it's pretty good, easily the best of the "odd number" movies and deserving to be called an "even" number movie. I generally watch II, III, and IV back to back since they're a continuous story and watching III by itself just feels odd due to that disconnect.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If any character had her potential squandered, it was Carol Marcus. I guess I understand Harve Bennett's reasoning for not including her in STIII, but she should have been in the 23rd century portions of STIV. I would have even taken a cameo in a mind meld sequence in Star Trek V. I know the original plan was to have her in #6 but I really wanted to see the fall out over David.
I always wondered why we never saw her again. It was kind of Silly to overlay Kirk giving the proposal in the tape the Klingons were looking at

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I always wondered why we never saw her again. It was kind of Silly to overlay Kirk giving the proposal in the tape the Klingons were looking at
Well that was probably just a matter of not having pay Bibi Besch for using her footage. That was one of the few things that curled my lip when I first saw it. At least change the speech a little. But it also gave Kruge a reason to recognize Kirk without Kirk just being the legendary captain of the Enterprise.

Star Trek III does suffer a little by being the middle chapter in a loose trilogy, but only as much as The Empire Strikes Back does, which remains my favorite Star Wars movie (and in my top 5 favorite films of all time). Since I'm a Star Trek fan, needing prior knowledge bothers me not. It always seemed to annoy critics though. How many film reviews back then - for almost any of the classic Trek films - had "for Trekkies only" or "add a star if you're a fan"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks