What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (7 Viewers)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
At the time, Ansara was married to Barbara Eden of I Dream of Jeannie. I always enjoyed him in everything I saw him in and was glad he got to revisit Kang in Deep Space Nine so many years after Star Trek. Also loved him as the voice of Mr Freeze in Batman: The Animated Series. His is the definitive, dramatic take on the character. It might be the only dramatic take.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
So the most wonderful thing imaginable has happened in my relationship with my wife. A truly astonishing, momentous, wonderful thing...

...she's watching Star Trek: The Next Generation with me! From start to finish!

This has been going on quietly for a few months but I was hesitant to actually say it outloud for fear that I might jinx it, but I shouldn't have worried - she's really enjoying it. We did watch some of the original series together when we first met, and she appreciated it but couldn't quite get into it, which I understand. I was hopeful that TNG, with its more modern production style and more character-oriented storytelling, might be a better fit and indeed it was.

The only major criticism thus far has been that she didn't care for the episode titles in the first season. It started as a running joke after the pilot, but she ended up coming up with new names for every Season 1 episode. I'd like to share those with you now:

Ep. 1/2 - Space Jellyfish in Love
Ep. 3 - Space Fever
Ep. 4 - Yar Fight: I Take Your Necklace
Ep. 5 - Chinese finger trap vs Android
Ep. 6 - Dude Where's My Galaxy
Ep. 7 - The Cloud Identity
Ep. 8 - Pleasure Directive: Edo'n Wrong (Baywatch Planet)
Ep. 9 - Captain's Log: Deja Vu
Ep. 10 - A case of the Qs/Will I Am Q
Ep. 11 - Mommy Dearest
Ep. 12 - Picard Noir
Ep. 13- Corrupt Data
Ep. 14 - Inoculation Proclamation/Sick Bae/Who Run the World?
Ep. 15 - Binarssholes and all that jazz
Ep. 16 - Admiral Benjamin Button
Ep. 17 - I Believe the Children are Our Future
Ep. 18 - Ugly giant bags of water
Ep. 19 - Testing, testing
Ep. 20 - Worf Cry
Ep. 21 - Laforged in fire(shooting vibrators)
Ep. 22 - High Demand
Ep. 23 - Creature from the Black puddle (YaRIP)
Ep. 24 - deja rendez vou
Ep. 25 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Ep. 26 - Cryo

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
So the most wonderful thing imaginable has happened in my relationship with my wife. A truly astonishing, momentous, wonderful thing...

...she's watching Star Trek: The Next Generation with me! From start to finish!

This has been going on quietly for a few months but I was hesitant to actually say it outloud for fear that I might jinx it, but I shouldn't have worried - she's really enjoying it. We did watch some of the original series together when we first met, and she appreciated it but couldn't quite get into it, which I understand. I was hopeful that TNG, with its more modern production style and more character-oriented storytelling, might be a better fit and indeed it was.

The only major criticism thus far has been that she didn't care for the episode titles in the first season. It started as a running joke after the pilot, but she ended up coming up with new names for every Season 1 episode. I'd like to share those with you now:

Ep. 1/2 - Space Jellyfish in Love
Ep. 3 - Space Fever
Ep. 4 - Yar Fight: I Take Your Necklace
Ep. 5 - Chinese finger trap vs Android
Ep. 6 - Dude Where's My Galaxy
Ep. 7 - The Cloud Identity
Ep. 8 - Pleasure Directive: Edo'n Wrong (Baywatch Planet)
Ep. 9 - Captain's Log: Deja Vu
Ep. 10 - A case of the Qs/Will I Am Q
Ep. 11 - Mommy Dearest
Ep. 12 - Picard Noir
Ep. 13- Corrupt Data
Ep. 14 - Inoculation Proclamation/Sick Bae/Who Run the World?
Ep. 15 - Binarssholes and all that jazz
Ep. 16 - Admiral Benjamin Button
Ep. 17 - I Believe the Children are Our Future
Ep. 18 - Ugly giant bags of water
Ep. 19 - Testing, testing
Ep. 20 - Worf Cry
Ep. 21 - Laforged in fire(shooting vibrators)
Ep. 22 - High Demand
Ep. 23 - Creature from the Black puddle (YaRIP)
Ep. 24 - deja rendez vou
Ep. 25 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Ep. 26 - Cryo

Pretty funny names (not to leave out, more descriptive of the content than the real titles [at least IMO])!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Pretty funny names (not to leave out, more descriptive of the content than the real titles [at least IMO])!

That was exactly why she started doing them! She stopped during season three, as she felt the names started to more accurately reflect the content by that time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Admiral Benjamin Button, that’s a good one. Since I never saw that movie, it took me a minute to figure that one out. The Creature from the Black Puddle is a good one too.

That’s great Josh that your wife is watching with you, let alone you got through the first season. :)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
My wife has seen and enjoyed all of the Star Trek episodes and movies as I bought them on Blu ray, and the first season of Voyager on DVD.

I absolutely lost her however when I attempted to play the animated series! I played about two episodes before she said it was the stupidest most rinky dink thing she had ever seen. No amount of explaining that it had the original actors and writers convinced her to watch further!

I would have agreed with her the first and last time I watched my DVD set, but for some reason I am finding the episodes quite enjoyable on Blu.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My wife has seen and enjoyed all of the Star Trek episodes and movies as I bought them on Blu ray, and the first season of Voyager on DVD.

I absolutely lost her however when I attempted to play the animated series! I played about two episodes before she said it was the stupidest most rinky dink thing she had ever seen. No amount of explaining that it had the original actors and writers convinced her to watch further!

I would have agreed with her the first and last time I watched my DVD set, but for some reason I am finding the episodes quite enjoyable on Blu.
When ST:TAS originally aired I had the same opinion as your wife. And I absolutely love TOS. I watched three or four episodes and dismissed it. I only purchased it on DVD when in WM one day I saw it for $10 and thought at that price I "needed" it for completion's sake and to see if it was really as bad as I remembered. I was surprised that I mostly enjoyed it. Like you, I found it to be better on BR (possibly due to having now seen it a few times and appreciating the stories more) but, for me, still not enough to put the series in rotation with the other Trek series. A lot of that has to do with the overall cheapness imparted to the series due to Filmation's production techniques. I've never much cared for their work and consider them to be one of the worst animation houses in TV history. Even their better productions, which includes ST:TAS, look and sound cheap.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
On the subject of "Actors from Star Trek in other series" - This morning I watched an episode of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. (S1E9 "The Project Strigas Affair) and was surprised to discover both William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy in the cast. Also in the guest cast was Werner Klemperer.

**EDIT**

Three episodes later (S1E12 - "The Dove Affair") and Ricardo Montalban shows up in a guest role.

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm envious some your wives join you in watching Star Trek - any of the series - and actually like it! My wife absolutely refuses to watch anything that's remotely SF/Fantasy based with me.

One day several years ago I walked in to see her watching Charmed with our oldest granddaughter. When I asked about the show I was told "Oh... grandma watches this one but I like it too." Of course I was stunned as it's not a show I thought my wife would watch and said as much. She replied "This one's pretty good and not like that stuff you watch." No amount of discussion will get her to admit the SF/Fantasy shows I watch are not that different from many shows she watches and have similar, if not identical, plots. Oh well... at least my middle granddaughter likes TNG and my oldest grandson will watch TOS with me on occasion although it's not a favorite.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I’ve seen that UNCLE episode with Shatner and Nimoy, I have it on a laserdisc compilation set. I’ve been meaning to get the series on DVD.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m watching the TMP Blu-ray now; it’s the first time I’ve watched it on my HD projector (even though I’ve had the thing since 2014). I watched the directors edition dvd on the projector before but not this.

It’s not a state of the art transfer, but it still looks pretty darn good blown up to 100” or so. And the sound mix is pretty great!

But I am seeing some details I’ve noticed and considering things I’ve never thought of before. I have so many questions about the sequence where Spock’s Vulcan shuttle docks with the Enterprise! :D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Josh, I’ve seen the Blu Ray of the theatrical cut of TMP on my 65”, so it’s the largest display I’ve seen it on, outside of the theatrical viewing. Someday it would be cool to get a projector to see it and my other films on such a large projected image.

To my eyes, the Blu Ray isn’t that bad and I’ve said this before a few times, I don’t see the reason for the comment from people who say the image is scrubbed and DNR added. But I think people have since said they really meant it for the later TOS films. So I agree, the Blu Ray looks pretty darn good. Though we know it still has some issues like the red trident on the side of the Enterprise looking green during the Space dock sequence.

I’ll refrain from my customary call for a remastering and new Blu Ray this year which is the 40th. :)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Another episode of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. with another future TOS alumnus. This time it's Susan Oliver in S1E20 "The Bow-Wow Affair."

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Not a surprise at all. I know Paramount is having issues and Beyond did not perform at all like they were hoping...but maybe it's time to let the film franchise sit for another 5 years or until someone has a truly original idea for a movie. There's nothing at all to gain from forcing a movie out every few years.

All Paramount needs to do right now is make the first 10 movies available in good versions of 4k...that's it. I wish CBS would start the work on DS9 or Voyager in HD, but that's not gonna happen.

The entirety of the franchise (CBS and Paramount) basically screwed the pooch on the 50th anniversary-aside from getting Beyond in theaters. They forgot about TNG's 30th, DS9's 25th and are likely to do nothing for TMP's 40th this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks