What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I didn't get an email notice you guys replied to the thread! Lee, yes, I was thinking if there was a fourth season, maybe they could have had a log entry from McCoy about his returning from a visit to the new Fabrini world. But perhaps a whole episode dedicated to it would be too much. I had not thought that episode had a theme associated with Yonada. Would you mind elaborating how the theme related to the episode? I'm guessing you are referring to the idea of renewal as the theme. A new life for the people of Yonada and McCoy.I'll toss out three more guesses:The Enterprise Incident?The Day of the Dove?The Ultimate Computer?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Well, I think there was the clear theme of the danger of blind faith in anything, as embodied in the Yonadans' slavish devotion to the Oracle, which nearly got them all pulverized by Daran V. But as you suggest, I think there was also a parallel between McCoy (on a collision course of his own) and Yonada--they both nearly came to a premature end, but ultimately found themselves at the beginning of a new chapter in their lives. Moreover, they were both in a better place by having embraced a new idea: McCoy opens himself up to love and the people of Yonada broadened their minds to accept the truth of their world, not as it had been told to them, but as it was.So there's a lot to say about Yonada in the episode, but it's pretty well covered by the end.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lee. The aspect of blind faith by the followers of The Oracle had not been upfront in my mind. I guess because the old man questioned it. But he was probably one of very few.The collision course aspect of the Yonada ship and McCoy that forced them to see a new way was very clear. :). You have made me rethink the episode and I'll have to think about that on the next viewing. Scott. Patterns of Force?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Is a hint necessary? Although I am pleased that I finally posted a relatively challenging TOS image trivia question, look at the lengths I had to go to in order to make it a bit more difficult (i.e., stock shots).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"Hmm, a positional change! "Well done Lee! On another topic while we wait for the next question, I continue to reexamine third season episodes I don't always watch as often.Because I listen to the episodes while driving, I am struck even more by the dialogue from The Cloud Minders. It's amazing that Ardana has their class struggles. The episode examined a society that separates the workers and the ruling class who enjoys the benefits of the hard work of the troglites. What got me wondering is two things. As a member of the Federation, it was interesting that each planet retains their own laws and even a Starship captain can violate a law and be executed for doing that. So the rules of non interference seems to apply in a way.Also, if the class separation is so appalling to Kirk and Spock and the general philosophy of the Federation, how did they get in and join the Federation? They must have only shown their paradise Cloudcity and hid the fact of the troglites. :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I will think of a question. Difficult couple of days, though, so if anyone has something ready, feel free.The Cloud Minders probably has some of the most specific details about how the Federation actually works. It seems like it is a confederation somewhat closer to, say, the United States than the United Nations. There is a central government that administers certain functions for all the members and represents the membership with outside entities. However, the member states have wide latitude as far as local governance. (We knew a little about that from the penalties for fraud on Deneb V, as outlined in I, Mudd.) That being said, I tend to agree with you that Ardana has not been completely honest with the Federation about its internal policies because even in a federal system, local laws have to conform at least to the most basic precepts of the larger body, and Ardana seems utterly outside those guidelines. Furthermore, Kirk and Spock, who are generally well-informed about such things seemed to have no idea at all that these policies were in place. Kirk had even visited the planet once before and had no knowledge of the treatment of the Troglytes.Kirk agrees not to pursue his personal charges against Plasus, but presumably his report to Starfleet was quite detailed regarding the division of labor on Ardana and the use of torture on its citizens. One hopes that the Federation insists on some changes there in order for Ardana to retain its membership status.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That's a very clear comparison to how the United States works as an example for how the Federation could work. The dialogue in this episode that really struck me was Droxine saying how the Troglytes were not accustomed to logic and Spock's reaction. And then the lines about how they are not allowed to enjoy the sunlight and warmth. The way the episode ends though it appears the efforts of Vanna and her battles had won them at least the protection of the filter masks and the people of Stratos will go down to the surface of Ardana and experience life the same way the Troglytes do. So they were on their way to enlightenment. And perhaps will not be kicked out of the Federation. :)

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I did like the dialogue where Droxine says that their minds are unaccustomed to logic because it is such a blow to Spock. This nice girl, for whom he clearly has an affinity, suddenly starts spewing this hateful message and it really affects him. My other favorite scene is when Kirk breaks in and stops the torture of Vanna. His courage and eloquence in the moment help justify Star Trek's reputation.OK...we have previously cited All Our Yesterdays as the one episode in which no scene takes place aboard the Enterprise. Can you name an episode in which we do go aboard the Enterprise, but Kirk never appears there?

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Lee,
First, let me say that that is a very good trivia question.Okay, is there more than one episode that meets your criteria? I first thought of The Empath, which almost works -- but not quite. Then I thought of Metamorphosis. Is this correct?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
That is a good one Lee, I agree Scott.Because it seems it happens more then once and the way Lee posed the question, it sounds like one occurrence? Maybe I'm reading into it.I think Scott's answer is right. In looking back, I can guess two other episodes, Whom Gods Destroy and The Paradise Syndrome?

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Apologies for the confusion. I see now that I was imprecise in my wording. In fact, there are four such episodes. You have correctly named three of them.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Okay, so Metamorphosis, The Paradise Syndrome, and Whom Gods Destroy are correct? But there is still one more. Hmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks